Algae scrubber

revolutionhope

I'm looking for advice, tips and recommendations on a good Glass cleaner / algae scrubber. The one I have is getting very long in the tooth and I don't think it ever did a great job.

Cheers :-)

[emoji173][emoji111][emoji445]

will

Thanks@jayc - I've been using a magnetic one thus far but it tends to skip along as you use it which creates disturbance and can kick up detritus and mulm when you're using it near the substrate. I think i might grab one of these..

[emoji173][emoji111][emoji445]
will

1 minute ago, revolutionhope said:

magnetic one

Magnetic ones are ok to use, I find you need to go over the glass multiple times to get stubborn algae.

This one I linked with a blade is pretty much a one pass cleaner. No going back and forth, creating massive disturbances in the tank.

I can run a siphon hose behind the blade as I clean the glass and suck out the loosened algae, and perform a water change at the same time.

• Like 2

@neo-2FX ooo I use these too! and no they dont scratch the glass :) Just stay awake from the silicones one the edges :P

And ALWAYS scrape perpendicular to the glass. 

If you know what I mean. 

It's not a knife, so don't slice along the blades length like a knife.

Edited by jayc

On 7/29/2017 at 1:44 PM, revolutionhope said:

Thanks@jayc - I've been using a magnetic one thus far but it tends to skip along as you use it which creates disturbance and can kick up detritus and mulm when you're using it near the substrate. I think i might grab one of these..

emoji173.pngemoji111.pngemoji445.png
will

I have 3 different magnet scrapers and find i get the skip if i use the stronger one on the thinner glass tanks. The downside to using a weaker magnet has been mentioned. You need more passes to remove the stubborn algae.

• Like 1

I use this algae scraper (magnet) that I got from TechDen

http://www.thetechden.com.au/Tunze_Pico_Care_Magnet_0220_006_Up_to_6mm_Glass_Al_p/0220.006.htm

There are a few different sizes.

It works tons better than the magnet cleaners with velcro like material on one side. These scrapers work very much like the one JayC posted but with a magnet. I use these both with the magnet and sometimes just hold the scraper part in my hand and go elbow deep into a tank Lol

• Like 1