Identifying Neocaridina Blue shrimp and genetics

Brentwillmers

Hi I wonder if someone could help with a bit of confusion I have regarding Blue verities of Neocaridina and the gene pool. 

This is what I have so far and not sure if it correct. 

1) Black/Chocolate Cherries will produce Blue Diamond. 

2) Blue Diamonds will produce higher grade Blue Cherries 

3) Rili will produce Blue Dreams

from there I'm not sure where Blue velvets fit in. 

What type of Rili will give you Blue  Dreams  

cheers 

Correct me if wrong, but it seems to me that Blue dreams and Blue diamonds are the same? Same as Blue Velvet are confused with Blue Jelly?

It's absolutely got me really confused. 

If you google search it gets even more confusing when you look at international naming of individual species/genes make up and try compare it to Australia naming. 

My question is what makes a Blue Dream, Blue Diamond, blue velvet, Blue Cherry. 

Does Balck/Choc cherries produce blue diamonds or do we use the term velvets. Then do we get higher grade Blue Cherries from this gene. 

Rili's will they produce Blue Dreams and if so is that what we calling it. 

Sorry about the mixed/messed up questions. It's so confusing that I can't think straight?

I know it's sort of been brought up before but not in detail on the Blue Neocaridina gene make up. 

It just seems a breeder will call their shrimp what they like and not by there gene make up. That's why I would like to know what does make up these shrimp and names associated with that gene pool. 

As far as I know, yes, Blue diamonds (dreams) come from the chocolate, Blue Jelly (Velvet?) from the red rili, or should I say, rili comes from a cross beween the jelly and cherry?

I mean, which one came first? The rili or the jelly?, The hen or the egg? :thinking:

Edited by Matuva

Here's my 2c (using Australian terms) sounds like you guys pretty much got it but I can add a little more detail.

Chocs -> blue diamonds (I have it on good authority that these are all but impossible to stabilise and will continue to throw an unacceptable % of browns and maybe blacks)

Carbon rili -> blue dreams -> blue topaz (with this line it is quite hard to breed the carbon out but not as difficult as the above example - I'm dealing with this dilemma myself)

Red rili -> superman/spiderman -> blue velvet (probably the most stable example of a blue neo to the best of my knowledge but also the least intense blue). I understand that the similar heritage is why my mixed up colony of red rilis and blues and spiderman (from which I picked out the red rilis for you) have never thrown anything fully resembling a wild type neo and at worst I've only seen very low grade rcs come out of it.

Also NB there are some blues getting around that come from a line which someone mixed up the blue from carbon and blue from red rilis and I know a breeder who came upon these and the progeny was most unsatisfactory.

[emoji173][emoji111][emoji445]

will

• Like 2

Thanks William. 

It makes sense. I've never really been into the neo's until now and I'm liking it. But as you see I get mixed up with lines between them because a few sellers I've seen weren't quite sure themselves due to the differences in classifications from international labeling and what we call them here in Australia. 

Thanks again guys appreciate the input 

Same here mate - I think it varies between Europe US and aus and Asian countries.

[emoji173][emoji111][emoji445]
will

• Like 1