Jump to content
Mapsyd

Hello and newbie shrimp keeper

Recommended Posts

Mapsyd

Just one question to you all. After watching a few Youtube videos from a very well known American shrimp breeder, he says that snails are vital in a shrimp tank....I had a massive outbreak of MTS in my last set up and was hoping to avoid this again....do you recommend me getting some snails or not? a few mini ramshorn hitch hiked already in my new set up maybe 4, but if I do need snails what would you suggest I use? apparently shrimp eat their poo as it has great bacteria in it. Ramshorn? MTS?

Not sure what to do as last time MTS were a bit much and I don't believe I was over feeding as only had 5 Cherry barbs and 15 shrimp in there....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
revolutionhope

Something that burrows is the best choice I believe.@fishmosy or another here can advise on the best types.


will

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mapsyd
1 minute ago, revolutionhope said:

Something that burrows is the best choice I believe.@fishmosy or another here can advise on the best types.

emoji173.pngemoji111.pngemoji445.png
will
 

Thanks again, hopefully @fishmosy will chime in with advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
revolutionhope

@Paul Minett is another who could give you a list I just noticed him lurking ;-)

 

will

 

 

 

 

Edited by revolutionhope
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paul Minett

Most snail's are very beneficial to a tank mts are great for the substrate rams horns etc are a good clean up crew the shrimp like to feed on the microflora that grow in the slime trails. I'm sorry to say if the mts got out of control then there was a good chance you were overfeeding they usually like most snails only populate to the level of available food. Nerites are another good snail to have. As they leave plants alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mapsyd

Thank you @revolutionhope, As far as stocking for my tank, would you know anywhere I could purchase Bloody Mary or Sakura grade RCS? also looking for bright Tangerine tigers to mix with the reds....not sure if I can ask that here but thought to ask.

2 minutes ago, Paul Minett said:

Most snail's are very beneficial to a tank mts are great for the substrate rams horns etc are a good clean up crew the shrimp like to feed on the microflora that grow in the slime trails. I'm sorry to say if the mts got out of control then there was a good chance you were overfeeding they usually like most snails only populate to the level of available food. Nerites are another good snail to have. As they leave plants alone.

Thank you @Paul Minett, yes, perhaps you are right as the barbs were not that pleased at sinking food so most would have gone to waste. Where would one buy Nerites? thought they were only available in the US?

Edited by Mapsyd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
revolutionhope

I have bloody mary I can sell some. Send me a message if you're interested and we can work something out.

 

They're on buffering substrate too so will adapt to your tank conditions pretty readily.

 

877c5cbdfb40f93fce575caab9e117ad.jpg732d3675c1727fee2b89b36d71b60db7.jpg54d407355741e606d40244c0bef2e497.jpg2c1fcc0c5b37be5bd6085bda780d8d94.jpg

 

will

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mapsyd
Just now, revolutionhope said:

I have bloody mary I can sell some. Send me a message if you're interested and we can work something out.877c5cbdfb40f93fce575caab9e117ad.jpg732d3675c1727fee2b89b36d71b60db7.jpg54d407355741e606d40244c0bef2e497.jpg2c1fcc0c5b37be5bd6085bda780d8d94.jpg

emoji173.pngemoji111.pngemoji445.png
will
 

Oh WOW! that would be fantastic! I just love the RCS but this time around would prefer the redder forms for contrast....will message you when time comes, hopefully in the next week or so...thank you, that is excellent...now to find Tigers...LOL

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
revolutionhope
Oh WOW! that would be fantastic! I just love the RCS but this time around would prefer the redder forms for contrast....will message you when time comes, hopefully in the next week or so...thank you, that is excellent...now to find Tigers...LOL

@inverted: keeps some nice tangs as does@fishmosy: you might try messaging them. Come to think of it Paul does as well.

 

will

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paul Minett
8 minutes ago, Mapsyd said:

Thank you @revolutionhope, As far as stocking for my tank, would you know anywhere I could purchase Bloody Mary or Sakura grade RCS? also looking for bright Tangerine tigers to mix with the reds....not sure if I can ask that here but thought to ask.

Thank you @Paul Minett, yes, perhaps you are right as the barbs were not that pleased at sinking food so most would have gone to waste. Where would one buy Nerites? thought they were only available in the US?

We have a few native varieties Aquagreen sells some someone else on here might know of another source. There was a Facebook snail page before but I'm not sure if it's still active.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mapsyd
2 minutes ago, revolutionhope said:

@inverted: keeps some nice tangs as does@fishmosy: you might try messaging them. Come to think of it Paul does as well.

 

emoji173.pngemoji111.pngemoji445.png

will

 

 

 

Even better! and lastly, what food you recommend me buy for the shrimp? getting very confused with all the different types....was thinking Shrimp crack by Boss??

1 minute ago, Paul Minett said:

We have a few native varieties Aquagreen sells some someone else on here might know of another source. There was a Facebook snail page before but I'm not sure if it's still active.

Yes, I have seen that site. Will have another look and see what they would suggest. Thank you again.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
revolutionhope

Shrimp crack is a good food for occasional feeding in my opinion maybe weekly. Boss aquaria is aussie and the owner did heaps to support the hobby before he got tired of some of the politics and games that goes on amongst some of the breeders. Snow / soy hull is good for an occasional leave-in food and so are mulberry apple and a range of other leaves, vegetables and flowers. There's a brilliant thread or two from@jayc that covers thay subject. Trick is to make sure the plant matter isn't an oily type (eg citrus leaves) and definitely it is best to know the source or if bought at shop I personally stick with certified organic produce only.

I could go on for a long time about feeding methods but everyone has different methods and opinions as usual. Seek out those threads from jayc. I can post you some leaves from my garden that I've already prepared (washed and blanched) and can spare a little soy hull for free for you to try out just cover my post cost. (or can send with the bloody mary if you end up grabbing them too obviously)


will

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mapsyd
1 minute ago, revolutionhope said:

Shrimp crack is a good food for occasional feeding in my opinion maybe weekly. Boss aquaria is aussie and the owner did heaps to support the hobby before he got tired of some of the politics and games that goes on amongst some of the breeders. Snow / soy hull is good for an occasional leave-in food and so are mulberry apple and a range of other leaves, vegetables and flowers. There's a brilliant thread or two from@jayc that covers thay subject. Trick is to make sure the plant matter isn't an oily type (eg citrus leaves) and definitely it is best to know the source or if bought at shop I personally stick with certified organic produce only.

I could go on for a long time about feeding methods but everyone has different methods and opinions as usual. Seek out those threads from jayc. I can post you some leaves from my garden that I've already prepared (washed and blanched) and can spare a little soy hull for free for you to try out just cover my post cost. (or can send with the bloody mary if you end up grabbing them too obviously)

emoji173.pngemoji111.pngemoji445.png
will
 

Thank you Will, that is very kind and I really appreciate that. I have some IAL coming this week and already have a million Alder cones from the garden. I have a glass feeding dish coming this week also and as such was wondering if you had a specific store bought food that wont fall aprt to quickly but would also offer all the goodies the little guys need? will check out the posts by @jayc and see what I can dig up. Thank you again, you have been excellent.

PS how do shrimp travel from such a distance? is it a bit risky?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
revolutionhope

There's a risk certainly in summer. And there's a risk sending sulawesi shrimp in cooler months. Heat or cold packs can be utilised when necessary. If the shipper does things properly then usually there's no issues. I've only had one true fail and that was due to the bag breaking. I no longer use the cheaper bags for this reason and stick with genuine kordon ones although some continue to use the cheaper bags but often double-bag their shrimps.


will

Shrimp crack is good stuff shrimp really love it - almost any shrimp specific food is fine from what I've found. The most important food by far though are the microorganisms that proliferate and form biofilm in a healthy tank with lots of surface area. Algae and moss are the ultimate for providing surface area.


will

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mapsyd
1 minute ago, revolutionhope said:

There's a risk certainly in summer. And there's a risk sending sulawesi shrimp in cooler months. Heat or cold packs can be utilised when necessary. If the shipper does things properly then usually there's no issues. I've only had one true fail and that was due to the bag breaking. I no longer use the cheaper bags for this reason and stick with genuine kordon ones although some continue to use the cheaper bags but often double-bag their shrimps.

emoji173.pngemoji111.pngemoji445.png
will
 

Ok, well that certainly does keep my mind at ease as it is still cold here so they should not stress to much. Will look forward to contacting you soon.

15 minutes ago, revolutionhope said:

There's a risk certainly in summer. And there's a risk sending sulawesi shrimp in cooler months. Heat or cold packs can be utilised when necessary. If the shipper does things properly then usually there's no issues. I've only had one true fail and that was due to the bag breaking. I no longer use the cheaper bags for this reason and stick with genuine kordon ones although some continue to use the cheaper bags but often double-bag their shrimps.

emoji173.pngemoji111.pngemoji445.png
will
 

Shrimp crack is good stuff shrimp really love it - almost any shrimp specific food is fine from what I've found. The most important food by far though are the microorganisms that proliferate and form biofilm in a healthy tank with lots of surface area. Algae and moss are the ultimate for providing surface area.

emoji173.pngemoji111.pngemoji445.png
will
 

Ok, will try that one, heard good things about it. Should I add IAL and alder cones to aquarium now to get biofilm growing or wait until tank is completely cycled? am sure only a week away or so...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
revolutionhope

No harm in adding the IAL and alder cones now definitely. IAL takes a while to really start degrading and adding beneficial tannins and compounds to the tank. Also NB IAL is not a readily digestible food for shrimps it will sit in the tank for ages and only very gradually be consumed by comparison to other fruit trees leaves that people typically feed.


will

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mapsyd

Ok, yes that makes sense as I remembered I used to get some now and then to add to tank and took ages for them to "break down"...will add cones now, how many do you suggest? I have millions which I soaked overnight in hot water to clean....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
revolutionhope

I'm not too sure I've only ever used them sparingly as they're not cheap.


will

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mapsyd
2 minutes ago, revolutionhope said:

I'm not too sure I've only ever used them sparingly as they're not cheap.

emoji173.pngemoji111.pngemoji445.png
will
 

Well, I am happy to send you as many as you like! still have a few laying around in the garden...let me know.

PS I have a photo of them further back in this thread.

Edited by Mapsyd
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fishmosy
7 hours ago, revolutionhope said:

Something that burrows is the best choice I believe.@fishmosy or another here can advise on the best types.

emoji173.pngemoji111.pngemoji445.png
will
 

The native snails - the giant cone snail and the spiny marsh snail - are good in shrimp aquariums as they reproduce via larvae, not live-bearing. They are hard to track down though - I haven't seen any for sale for probably 12-18 months

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mapsyd

Where would one find these snails? they sound better than MTS....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jayc
5 hours ago, Mapsyd said:

will add cones now, how many do you suggest?

Uh, not too many. Depends on the size of your tank. But about 3 cones to 10L is enough, assuming no driftwood. Too many will send your pH plummeting. It can happen. Adding fewer is safer than adding too much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mapsyd

Hi Jayc. My tank is 46 litres... Would 6 be to many? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jayc
22 minutes ago, Mapsyd said:

tank is 46 litres... Would 6 be to many

I'd go with 4-5 first.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jc12
23 hours ago, revolutionhope said:

Something that burrows is the best choice I believe.@fishmosy or another here can advise on the best types.

emoji173.pngemoji111.pngemoji445.png
will
 

You can also consider live blackworms too. Some planted tank folks and shrimp keepers use them to help aerate the soil and consume any uneaten food.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



  • Must Read SKF Articles

  • Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

    Join Our Community!

  • Posts

    • sdlTBfanUK
      Thanks for replying. I know what you mean about breeding, I started off with about 10 and was soon (couple of months) over 100, and  I am sure that would have kept going up if the tank could  have supported more??? I don't see any reason that it wouldn't work with bee shrimps if it is working so well for your cherry shrimp. Obviously the parameters are different but if you are managing to keep the cherry tanks stable I don't see why the bee would be any different, although they are a lot harder to keep! Worth a try though unless someone says otherwise? I shall certainly follow this with some interest. Simon 
    • Myola
      Hi Simon, NO, I wasn't using a buffering substrate previously in the neo tanks, it was just some white gravel that I had laying around. It had originally been in a fish tank some years ago, so it wasn't new when I put it into the neo tank. It started to break down just because of age, and my GH, and subsequently TDS, were rising out of control. JayC talked me through a rebuild with a bare floor. It has worked so well that when I set up more neo tanks I just made them bare as well. Like I said, I wouldn't go back. The little buggers are breeding like crazy, I have a very high baby survival rate and almost no deaths. Under my particular water conditions, it works great ... for neo caridinas. Now I want to do the same with caridinas, but not sure if there's more to a buffering substrate that I don't know about. Hopefully someone out there will be able to help me (and you) with the answers :)  
    • sdlTBfanUK
      A very good question and one I will follow with much interest as I had a similar question a year ago in that would I need to replace the substrate when it stopped buffering with my Taiwan bee tank if all the water I use has the right parameters. Unfortunately I don't know the answer in my case as my heater stuck on and killed all my shrimps off so I am starting again, though I still wonder about the same issue, though I should have at least a year before the new substrate stops buffering.  A lot of big breeding companies that have hundreds or thousands of shrimp (cherry and bee) in each tank (big tanks admittedly) use bare tanks (for obvious conveniences) so I am guessing it will be ok! Hopefully someone who has done it may get back to this thread, but otherwise I would give it a go with a few, especially if you have a spare small tank etc and see how it goes? If you used buffering substrate before but were using RO mineralised water of ideal PH did you have a problem once the substrate lost its buffering ability? I am/was hoping that the substrate buffering wasn't really needed if the water going into the tank is always around PH 5 or 6?  Simon
    • Myola
      So here's the thing. I've got 6 bare-bottom neo tanks that have been chugging along just fine for quite a while now. There are lots of babies and it's extremely rare to have any deaths, even when I add new shrimp.  I use remineralised rain water that has been filtered through an RO. I stopped using substrates in the tanks after I had ongoing issues with it breaking down, and to be honest, I wouldn't go back. Now I want to start some caridina tanks for tangerine tigers, CRS and blue bolts but want to know if I can get away with bare bottoms in them too. My RO filtered rain water comes out at pH 5, and when I add Salty Shrimp 'Bee shrimp' minerals to give me a GH of 5, the pH goes up to around 5.8. Do I really need the buffering affects of a substrate if my water is already within an acceptable range for caridinas? 
    • jayc
      It must have been an aluminium heatsink. The Indium in Liquid metal will eat through aluminium. Only copper or nickel plated heatsinks can be used with liquid metal. It says so on the packet, at least my pack of Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut does.
×