controsoil need help...

nthungryan1

long time i use ada soil to set up shrimp tank with plant( moss, fern...) but crs baby die. now i want set up new tank with new soil( contro soil)
somebody can help me. i need use ada soil or controsoil to breed shrimp. i have some tibeeshrimp and taiwan bee. can i breed with controsoil. thanks so much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bf4cfd0d43143628108befe81b5d52e8.jpg

Either one should work, but do you have any idea why the shrimp weren't thriving on ADA?

Do you know the pH, TDS, GH and KH of the tank with ADA?

Have two tanks set up with Contrasoil right now, but they are in the cycling process... so can't really comment on experience. I do know that many people use it with shrimp.

somebody tell me controsoil cant keep baby shrimp. i dont know should i choose ada or controsoil?

It's honestly up to you.

If you didn't have luck with ADA, maybe you'll have better luck with Contrasoil? Or maybe not?

What water are you using in the tanks? 

• Like 1

@nthungryan1 What @Zoidburg is saying is the shrimp do not live in the soil. Shrimp live in the water.  You need to do a full test of the water to find out the Parameters. TDS, GH, KH, PH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Temperature.

Contrasoil and ADA can change the water parameters so to get best breeding conditions you MUST tell us what water is in the current tank. Also would be a big help if you tell us what water is BEFORE going into tank.

I hope that clears up the confusion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Madmerv said:

shrimp do not live in the soil. Shrimp live in the water.

:happy: love that statement.  Never gets old.

• Like 3

oh. thanks.@zoidburg@Madmerv:

my tank parameters:

ada soil

tds 130

gh4

ph6,7

no3,no2 0

i change 20% water/ month

plant: moss, bucephalandra, fern, some driftwood,

light t5ho

but baby crs no more.

It's honestly up to you.

If you didn't have luck with ADA, maybe you'll have better luck with Contrasoil? Or maybe not?

What water are you using in the tanks? 

i use RO water for my shrimp tank
Tds Ro = 4

• Like 1

It may or may not be an issue, but there's a chance that the GH and TDS are on the low end. It *might* help to raise the GH up to 5, which should put the TDS around 150. What are you using to remineralize the RO water with?

Alternatively, maybe there isn't enough food for the babies? What food are you feeding? Any leaf litter in the tank?

If we can figure out why the shrimp haven't done well in the past, then we can help you better for your current or future shrimp. :)

• Like 1

It may or may not be an issue, but there's a chance that the GH and TDS are on the low end. It *might* help to raise the GH up to 5, which should put the TDS around 150. What are you using to remineralize the RO water with?

Alternatively, maybe there isn't enough food for the babies? What food are you feeding? Any leaf litter in the tank?

If we can figure out why the shrimp haven't done well in the past, then we can help you better for your current or future shrimp. :)

thanks. i use RO water. i dont feed anything for bebi shrimp. i use grow ( borneonwild) to feed shrimp. i dont know about controsoil. maybe i reuse ada soil. thanks so much

8 hours ago, nthungryan1 said:

i use RO water.

But what do you use to bring up the TDS of RO water (called remineralising RO water). RO's TDS is too low for shrimps to live in.

• Like 1