Sign in to follow this  
Zebra

Quick cycle for new tanks.

Zebra

Hello,

So I thought I'd do a quick write up on how to "quick cycle" a new tank.

Please note:

This is generally for emergency use and I'm not recommending people just do this as a standard procedure every time, when intending to buy livestock make sure the tank they are to be housed in is fully cycle before you make your purchase.

-Its best to always let your tanks cycle and mature naturally before adding livestock and this is especially true for shrimp.

Many of these steps are aimed at introducing BB (Beneficial Bacteria) Aswell as reducing Nh3 (Ammonia) No2 (Nitrite)  No3 (Nitrate) and heavy metals.

1) If it's a sand or gravel then grab as much established substrate from an existing tank as you can, obviously without taking too much,- you don't want to set off a cycle in the original tank! :)

2) The sponge filters I use have 2 sides so it's possible to take off one sponge from an established tank and replace it with the new sponge without upsetting the BB too much, Then use this cycled sponge in your new tank. Or if you can pinch some cycled filter media like bio balls, ceramic rings etc,- If you absolutely can't take these from your existing tanks then just squeeze all the "mulm" from the dirty sponges into your new tank.

3) This step IMO is not really as beneficial as the others as only very small amounts of BB actually live in the water itself, but I'll add it.         Use as much aquarium water from an existing tank as you can.

4) Get some Seachem stability or similar product, I think aquaone make one called "Bio". You can't really overdose this stuff, but having said that I wouldn't recommend wasting it.-There is dormant BB in this product that activates when introduced to Nh3 etc. I guess if your test kit reads any level of Nh3 you could dose again.

5) Whether you use tap or RO, Get a decent water dechlorinator that specifically states "Reduces Ammonia, nitrite and heavy metals" You can dose this at the recommended dose daily (not to dechlorinate) to reduce all the nasties.

6) Add plants and driftwood preferably from an established tank if you can, as lots of BB will hitch a ride over on the wood etc, and plants will eat up Nh3, No3 aswell as heavy metals.- I'd go with low light, low maintenance like ferns and moss etc.

7) Grab some Indian almond leaf, This does many things but mostly what we want it for is to slightly lower the ph converting toxic Nh3 into a less toxic substance Nh4 (Ammonium). Also the medicinal properties of the cappata leaf will heap reduce stress when livestock are introduced into their new environment.

8) Small daily water changes like 10-20% and try to remove as much organic matter as you go.

9) Add some mineral balls, They absorb Nh3 and release important minerals into the water that aid in shimp moulting and stabilising ph.

Dont clean the filter for atleast the first 3-4 weeks- obviously unless it's full blocked.

If you do all this as directed your tank should be safe for livestock even shrimp in about the time it takes for the water to settle and clear, however accurate testing should be performed before introducing livestock, if you have  a few days to do this it would be even better.

Once again people shouldn't go out buying shrimp and a new tank in one go at the lfs, Nor should they rely on methods like this to instantly setup a new tank every time they buy stuff.

Cycling a tank naturally over time is a safer, better way to go, and lots of these tips can still be used to help speed up this process aswell.

These tips can even just be used for reducing Nh3 etc in a problem tank.

Quick product review:

The API test kits are fine for general use despite their apparent bad rap, you just have to shake the heck out of them as per the instructions. Although with the No3 test, its really hard to tell a difference between like 10ppm, 20ppm and 40ppm, they are all pretty much the same shade of orange- yet the kit goes right to 160? Lol why? like if it's over 40 you know there major issues, they should have instead focused on a more accurate low range, eh just my 2c.

Hope this helps some people :)

peace.

IMG_2886.JPG

IMG_2885.JPG

IMG_2883.JPG

Edited by Zebra
  • Like 5

Brentwillmers

Good ideas there Zebra.

And good write up.

I have fully cycled tanks in 8 days from all new gear. And the best safest short cut I found really great is Dr Tims nutrifing bacteria and ammonium chloride.

Dr Tims nutrifing bacteria is live bacteria (not the dormant type) and works immediately converting NH3/NH4 to NO2 then NO3 in only a few hours.

Absolutely awesome stuff. If you haven't tried it definitely give that a go. If you had to mix your method and Dr Tims it would be an absolute winner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Zebra

Cheer mate. 

I haven't heard of that doc tims BB yet, but tbh there is only very standard lfs in my town so I have to order most things online, thanks for the recommendation I'll have to check it out.

Seachem stability actively works in about the same time it takes for the water to settle, I did full tests while setting up to make sure cause I actually thought the product was snake oil to start lol. But yeah great stuff.

I don't use any chloride based pruducts in my freshwater setups (unless that's the active in my dechlorinator- it's aquaone not like it's gonna say lol) when I add calcium it's always as a chelate, sulphate or carbonate form even though CACi2 is more readily available cheaper.

The best most useful shortcut I've found is introducing live BB via cycled filter media, and plants :)

• Like 1

Brentwillmers

Seachem is great stuff but here in Western Australia is really hard to find lately and that's why I gave Dr Tims a try.
But on my next set up I'm definitely going to give your method a try.
Thanks bud [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

jayc
11 hours ago, Zebra said:

The best most useful shortcut I've found is introducing live BB via cycled filter media, and plants

No arguing about that. BB from a cycled, mature filter is best. 

But I can vouch for Dr Tim's One and Only as an alternative if you don't have an existing mature filter. It works pretty quick. It does say no waiting needed, but I'd still be cautious and test before adding livestock to a new tank.

• Like 1

Zoidburg

A much safer procedure than I've done...

I've cycled and even re-cycled tanks, no biggie. Then decided to get some more shrimp and had plans on putting them in an already cycled and set up tank with other shrimp. (different species, so no mixing of colors)

Almost last minute, I decided to tear down and redo a 10g I literally had just sitting... it was cycled at one point in time, but the filter was removed and the tank just sat there.... it did have an air stone going for a while, but that was eventually turned off. (moved tanks around, didn't set it back up)

I rinsed everything, including the sand, threw in a new sponge filter (well, the plastic pieces were old, but the sponge itself new - everything was dry), got the water parameters set within a certain range and tossed in some Tetra SafeStart+.

It was less than a week later when the shrimp arrived, and when I tested the water parameters, the only thing that showed up was Nitrates.

I started with 16 shrimp, I now have 18 shrimp (I don't know where the +2 came from... and I'm not blind! lol), and two recently became berried. In about 2 weeks, they will have been here for 2 months. (feels longer than that) With the way I set the tank up, I had minimal water evaporation and when I checked the parameters prior to doing a water change this past week (the first, since coming here), the TDS was up a little, the KH was up a smidge, but otherwise, it's remained stable. The tests I did in-between have been fine. The shrimp came from Caridina parameters and have been doing fine in the lower end of Neocaridina. (no buffering substrate and I mix two different sources of tap water for the tanks)

As far as the API test kits go... yeah, they can be annoying! I'm almost out of the Nitrate test, and need to order a new kit... I've heard great things about the Sera and Nutrafin test kits, although they can easily be 3x as much as the API test kit. The results are apparently much easier to read!

Edited by Zoidburg

Matuva

I had to set a tank for the few carbon rili I had left. The shrimps were passing away one by one in a tank where I could not find any reason why they were doing so...

I an emergency rescue, I dressed a new tank, 30liters, new soil, plants, new sponge filter, and I dosed some Bio Nitrivec (SERA).  2 hours after, I moved the shrimps in that new tank, and crossed fingers...

That was a success. Not only the shrimps stop quiting, but they start again breeding after few weeks, and now I have recovered a full healthy colony from the very few I had left (3 females 4 males). They are about 400 now ^^)

• Like 5

fishmosy

Great write up Zeb. I used Dr Tims, some mulm and a cycled sponge filter when setting up a new tank with Amazonia soil - which is notorious for leaching ammonia when new. I think it helped as the tank was cycled within a couple of weeks verses around 3-4 weeks using on the cycled sponge filters and mulm. I've heard reports of Amazonia taking several months to cycle from scratch, so both methods are definitely improvements

• Like 1

Zebra

Cheers mate,

Ill definitely have to check out dr tims.

yeah for sure, from my experience the old Amazonia releases a lot more Nh3 then the newer stuff they make, the newer Amazonia is supposed to be closer to like black earth or kaito, though the quality dropped off massively and the product now includes sticks and rocks lol I'll show you some from the Ada from my 4ft I've picked bark and all sorts out of there, it's totally whack.- it wasn't just one random bag either I bought a whole box.

Edited by Zebra

fishmosy

Yeah mine floated out plenty of bark and sticks too when I flooded it. Definitely rock in there too. 

• Like 1

Zebra

The stuff my CRS are on is great, it's from Subscape Melb. It's called "Kaito" has a really strong ph buffering capacity, and is very very clean to use, I've added it to filled tanks (without livestock) and almost as clean as gravel.

-glass is dirty in the pic lol

IMG_3103.JPG

Kaylenna
On 5/28/2017 at 2:10 AM, Zebra said:

This is generally for emergency use and I'm not recommending people just do this as a standard procedure every time, when intending to buy livestock make sure the tank they are to be housed in is fully cycle before you make your purchase.

Why do you say it's for emergency use?  From a biological point of view, the bacteria likely don't care how long you waited!  It's just about numbers - if you can get enough bacteria into your new tank in the right places and keep them alive, you're set.  I've never waited more than 3-4 days for any tank other than the very first one (which had to go the long way since I didn't have a ready source of bacteria to transfer).  I've not had a problem with mini-cycles or incomplete cycles either. 

In addition to your tips : if you are intending to start up a new tank, you can seed a brand new filter with "cycled" filter mulm and leave it in a fully functional, cycled tank to settle.  From personal experience, a week is plenty.  Then your new filter should basically be ready to go and can be treated as a "cycled" filter.  Keep in mind, adding livestock slowly (over the course of a few days/weeks, depending on what you're adding) will help ensure the filter keeps up and grows into its new role.  Of course, you do need to keep the bacteria's home in moving water (keep them fed; that is - don't take it out and leave it somewhere to dry up for a while and come back expecting it to still have a full colony of bacteria) and avoid other things that can kill them off. 

Of course - some substrates need time to settle, but this mostly applies to the specialized ones that will release stuff, including ammonia as mentioned, for a few weeks to a couple of months.  I've mostly avoided them because they take forever to detox (I'm just not that patient!) and are expensive without actually being significantly better than other options (in my opinion).

Zebra

I go on to say it's not just for emergency use and can speed up cycling any tank, however I just don't recommend doing something like this every time you buy new livestock as its still kind of irresponsible compared to waiting a week or so aswell as these steps.

Still 3-4 days is a long time compared, this write up is About making a new tank shrimp safe like within the hour.

Cheers, I did include adding filter mulm in a step. 

Your correct, normally with fish they should be introduced slowly over a week or more, however this is for a situation where you don't have that time or luxury, plus shrimp produce very little to no Nh3 or n02 so given your not dumping hundreds in there and you continue to dose BB and Nh3 reducer it's generally all g.

In short It's just common sense to have the tank setup and cycled before you buy livestock especially shrimp, but sometimes things happen and you need to set up new tanks fast. :)

Like diatoms for example, they can cover plants on initial setup and are much harder to clean in a tank with livestock.

As far as soil goes, With some species it's just easier and more stable to use aquasoil and if we want to keep these we have to do so, As trying to artificially lower ph and keep it stable without soil is a bit of a hassle from my experiences.

Matuva posted above using similar methods to instantly cycle a tank with new soil for carbon rilli and reported great success, and that's pretty awesome. Using the Sera bio product.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• sdlTBfanUK
      By sdlTBfanUK
      I have now pretty much set up the shrimp tank afresh. The layout isn't 100% yet as I am testing a piece of rock for the week which I will test if it has any affect on Ph at the weekend when it has been in its tub of water for a wee? I set the heater going yesterday and as per JayC have turned it up for the cycle, and the 2 filters are running with sponges from other tanks. Most of the plants/wood are from before in the same tank. I put a small amount of Bacter AE and fish food into the tank as well today.
      Parameters today, TDS 213, ammonia 1, nitrite 0, nitrate 25 (these are the only tests I have done as it is just day 1 of running. As I am using RO water remineralised I don't expect I will test GH, KH, Ph at this early point but I can adjust those easy enough later down the line once cycled should they be out of sync, though they shouldn't (in theory), and adjusting the TDS is easy.
      I am planning to rinse the betta fish sponges in 4L of used betta water and dumping that in the shrimp tank on friday, tanks are next to each other so that will be soooo easy! That actually shouldn't affect the parameters much anyway? I will then run it as a set up tank and do 2L water change/maintenance each thursday (back to my old shedule) - tank will have about 26L of water in it (more substrate this time so 2 litres less water).
      If I am doing anything wrong or have missed/forgotten something I will be pleased to hear from anyone? 
      Oh! and I will be getting at least a fixed thermometer this time, and will look into the device that JayC and KMS have recommended at some later stage when it is all up and running, though I did take a quick look and haven't seen any in the UK yet. I plan to get a strip thermometer that you stick on and it changes colour to show what the temperature is, as these are inoffensive to look at and I should be able to view them easily/often from where I normally sit and they can be stuck on the side instead of the front (which I see from my normal seat). I don't know how good/accurate they are though but it is only to indicate a problem so I don't have to go through this devastation, mine and the shrimps, again?
      https://www.pro-shrimp.co.uk/aquarium-thermometers/1072-jbl-digital-aquarium-thermometer-4014162614063.html?search_query=thermometer&results=44
      Simon
      Day 2, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 25
      Day 3, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 50    tds 221

• ohaple
      By ohaple
      Hello,
      I have recently started working towards keeping shrimp. We keep other terrestrial invertebrates (isopods, mantises, and cockroaches) and thought that shrimp would pose an interesting new challenge.
      With our mantises, we have focused on bioactive vivariums that include a cleanup crew, microfauna, and plants. That isn't the norm for mantises, but it is almost a necessity in the shrimp-keeping hobby from what I have seen. We intend to take the same approach, including heavily planted tanks, shrimp, snails, and possibly some mosquito rasboras if we are able to establish our shrimp well.
      I have some experience with aquariums through helping my dad, who has had several freshwater and saltwater aquariums. That said, shrimp are completely new to us.
      My goal is to establish two shrimp tanks, a 7 gallon and a 1 gallon. I understand that smaller is harder.
      7-Gallon Tank
      Started with the Imagitarium 6.8g rimless tank from Petco. Modified the filter system to include more biomedia and a more powerful water pump. Using Eco-Complete for substrate since it is widely recommended for planted tanks and shrimp look better on dark substrate from what I read. Using Mopani wood as our primary hardscape. We soaked it for several days prior to adding to the tank, but it continues to leech some tannins. We are trying to stay fairly focused on plants, especially in the beginning. No CO2, but we are dosing ferts and Excel. Our plants include: Bacopa as a background plant. S. repens as a mid-ground sort of plant. I plan on letting it create bushes more than creating a carpet. Micro-sword for a foreground carpeting plant. Anubias nana for mid-ground/background. I would like to add a little dwarf water lettuce but haven't yet found a source. Our plants are notably lacking moss, which I read is preferred for shrimp. We may end up adding a little java moss but I am hoping the micro-sword will give them enough surface area to be happy. Once cycled, we will be adding shrimp. We are likely going to get blue velvets, starting with 10-15. Once the shrimp are added, the fish will be moving out. To start out, we are working on cycling the tank. We used some stuff from an established aquarium and added Safestart+ to kickstart the bacteria. Keeping the tank at about 78F with a few Zebra Danios and two mystery snails to keep ammonia going while the bacteria gets established. We are dosing Prime and doing daily water changes to keep the temporary inhabitants happy. It was started about a week and a half ago, and while we aren't seeing ammonia dissipate like we want, it is steadily working. We don't plan to add shrimp until we have 0 Ammonia and 0 Nitrite.
      Here are some photos of the process and where we are now:
      First setup, keeping plants in as we get the hardscape ready

After setting up wood and the rest of the plants

1-Gallon Tank
      Started with a one gallon vivarium style container from Michael's Originally planned on it being a no-tech tank, but decided I would be happier with some water movement and filtration. I designed a custom water pump sponge filter. Used Eco-Complete for Substrate Using Malasian driftwood for hardscape. Sticking to fewer plants for this build to stay more organized. Monte carlo planted in substrate for carpet, and a monte carlo mat to cover up the filter. A little bush of s. repens. A small bit of anubias nana. Would like to add a floating plant, but havent been able to source any. Once cycled, I will be adding shrimp. Planning on 5 RCS or orange rili to start. Cycling this tank has been much harder so far. We added some Safestart+, but have not seen any real progress yet. I am keeping two small nerite snails in here to create the ammonia, feeding them since algae hasn't established. This tank will be much more of a custom project for us. I designed and built a 1"x2"x3" large water pump sponge filter to help the water stay a little more clear and give the bacteria some flow to process the ammonia. For the lid, we are also going completely custom, designing an acrylic and wood lid with built in lighting and containment for floating plants. We have a laser cutter and CNC so it is fun to have the lid be a separate design project. My goal with the lights is to have too much light available, and the ability to dim. That way we can grow the plants but turn down to reduce algae problems as needed. This tank will eventually go on my desk at work. Since it is a pretty professional environment, it is important that this tank isn't noisy or technical looking, and is attractive for client meetings in my office. There is a rather small available footprint which is why we went with the 1-gallon, even though it will be more challenging. So far, it looks like we are getting a little nitrite, but its slow going. Doing daily water changes and dosing Prime so we don't kill off the snails.
      Here is the custom filter. The sponge media goes in the acrylic cage, and water is pushed out the grated hole. It fits neatly behind the driftwood and is not visible except from directly in the back. The top is covered in a monte carlo mat to hide it better.

Here it is set-up and slowly cycling. We are temporarily using a CFL hood for the light to keep the plants going well. It also raises the water temperature to about 75F, not very high for establishing bacteria.

I already received some good advice from @jayc regarding how the temperature needed for Zebra Danios is lower than the recommended temperature to get bacteria growing quickly. I am hopeful that with some patience and careful monitoring, the danios will stay healthy and the bacteria will get going. I have read many articles about fish/fishless cycling and do not plan to change to fishless for this build.
      Any comments or advice appreciated. We are taking it slow, but are getting excited for cycling to complete so we can start adding shrimp.
    • Finley2
      By Finley2
      I have been using UP Aqua Shrimp Sand 1mm size for years with great success. Perfect product for me. However...
      I recently bought some from Tech Den (Australia). It was a larger size, about 2-3mm, and looked a little different.  It came in a vacuum-packed bag, instead of loose in a regular bag.  I figured it's just the larger size that I have heard about, but that it would be basically the same.  Not!  Within 90 days most of it has disintegrated to dust.  Stirring up the substrate produces dense, heavy clouds of 'smoke' - the disintegrated material. It's a disaster.
      Also the water chemistry is not quite the same. OK, but not perfect like before.
      Has anyone else experienced a change in this product, or know whether there is a fake version around?  
      Do any Australians here know where to buy the good 1mm UP Aqua Shrimp Sand, in the ordinary (non-vacuum) bag?
      Thanks.
    • Ishtarduzzie
      By Ishtarduzzie
      Hello SKF readers!
      To save me starting multiple threads and also so I know here to find answers I am doing a journal/question thread.

If I put this in the wrong spot JayC/mods then feel free to move it or tell me to re-make :D
      Sorry.... this WILL be long probably and I appreciate any time you take to read and answer my questions!

So, on Thursday (edit: tomorrow now according to an email from AU Post) I have a package coming from The Tech Den with a Aquael Shrimp Set Smart 30 and a few other goodies.
      My plans so far are:
               Iron sand (found posts saying shrimp when ok with it).... May need more than the 2kg I initially got...?          An amazing piece of Gold Vine that I found at my local pet store          The light and filter (modified) from the kit with the heater only being used in winter if needed          Filtered water (RO maybe? It is a 2 canister counter top carbon and sediment drinking water filter gifted by my mum a few months ago. Unsure brand etc) with JayC’s DIY remineraliser              IAL and alder cones         Some ceramic hidey holes         API GH/KH and Master kits         TSD pen - Xiaomi Professional TDS Meter from eBay Still need:
                 TDS pen as I forget to check the pet store and Tech Den were out – Recommendations?           Plants           Shrimp – Would like blue dreams and maybe glass shrimp           Fish – Big IF! I am worried about eating all the baby shrimp. Spotted rasbora since they are sooo tiny if any. So, according to the local store the light from the kit is pretty good and I have seen quite a few good things about the filter around YT and such. I was thinking of modifying it like this with a single though: https://youtu.be/I_ckQpO8GBo
      My old 16L (does not fit in spot and wary of using for fish since it housed mice) has been a bit of a dummy test on water temps and for the last week has been in a safe range. None of these have been 40+ days though so I will probably need to air-con or get a cooler for coming into next summer.... or something (nowhere near planned this part since should be cooling off by time cycled).
      So... to break up some questions that relate to the ‘still need’ list:
      -          I was thinking plant wise Anubias nana petite, Java fern narrow (still need to source somewhere to get... not sure local store has anything other than plain) and.... a moss...
      I was hoping for something less stringy than Java moss. It is just so..... wild lol
      Fissiden sp. ‘Vietnam’ and Mini Pellia are calling to me but are slow growers and needs med-high light and I think Co2... filter has a Co2 option if needed.... but NO clue what a 6w, 8000K LED translates to on a nano tank... and I guess that would depend on other planting...
      Also pondering about Peacock and Phoenix? But probably similar problem....
      Maybe I should just wait for if I get a bigger tank.... for anything other than Java lol *sighs*
      -          Sourcing blue dream shrimp! Your trade section does not seem to get many responses lol
      My local has glass shrimp (Australian... soooo Paratya australiensis?) who looked blue tinged at least, cherry red and cherry yello but no source of cherry blue.
      Would appreciate sources to get from Newcastle or Sydney! Gumtree makes me hesitate though I have found people with them up on there. One seems a safer bet but maybe not as easy to get to. A second one has potential and very easy for me to get to for Newcastle (no car).
      -          Now... going with plants that don’t need a planted substrate.... should I still actually go with an actual buffering/planted substrate for bacterial reasons...? Should I add hidden biomedia sock or anything like that since the bacteria won’t really colonise in a thin layer of sand, unlike a planted tank.

Starting to get into the excited but freaking out I am doing something to mess it up bad stage.
      Blue dreams are more expensive than I was wanting to be learning on... but if I get red cherries that would just mean another tank later lol
    • jc12
      By jc12
      I have been a long time lurker on this forum and have learnt a lot from past and present members who have contributed to this forum. Thank you.
      This is my first 'real' post and I hope this would help anyone who might be considering building a rack themselves. As requested by @Disciple, hope this helps you too.
      Just a bit of background on my experience. My only previous build attempt was for a stand and sump for a 4x2x2. It was my first build dabbling with staining wood and using silicon for sump baffles, etc. As you can see from the photos below, they are pretty amateurish but I am happy for how it turned out as a first attempt. Next step is to fit some doors to it.
      The stand was built following this video by King of DIY. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN4Y9AYuwcQ
      Anyway, this gives you an idea of the level of experience I have before I embark on my ambitious attempt to build a rack.
      Below are some photos of my 4x2x2, sump and stand build, and some of its inhabitants. Sorry they are not shrimp related and not of great quality taken using my phone.

Stand and sump

Filled up and planted.

Display tank front view.

Display tank side view.

With background in place and tank inhabitants added consisting of altum flora discus, german blue rams, panda corydoras, cardinal tetras, otocinclus, red cherry shrimps, darwin algae shrimps and darwin red nose shrimps.

Altum flora discus.

Panda corydoras.

German blue rams with their fry.

I have browsed many build threads including some from here and have built on my ideas collectively from different sources. The specific post from @BlueBolts here: http://shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/topic/1415-breeding-rack-no2/ has inspired me greatly and I would like to acknowledge that.
      I followed the DIY rack build as outlined here: http://shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/topic/7063-diy-rack-for-under-50-in-under-2hrs/

The plan, materials, and costs
      This rack will be located in the lounge room so it has to be 'display-ish' quality and light from it must not interfere with the TV or be too blinding to people sitting around the lounge room. Also, no unsightly hoses/pipes are to be seen. I managed to convince the Minister for Home Affairs that a canister filter and chiller by definition, is not categorised as hoses or pipes, and would be in no way unsightly. The LED display from the chiller would provide subtle mood lighting, and the gentle humming of the filter and soft soothe whirling of the chiller fan would be therapeutic for lounge surfers, and would also greatly enhance movie watching experience with enriched sound depth and effects.
      Hence I received approval to have a canister filter and chiller located next to the rack.
      I used 5 x 5.4m long 90x45mm MGP10 untreated structural pine bought and cut to size from Masters for $83.75. I find Masters generally sells timber cheaper than Bunnings. Since I have both of them close to where I live, I selectively buy what I need from where it is cheaper.
      The frame is held together by 10-8 x 75mm zinc plated countersunk screws. I bought a box of 250 screws from Bunnings for $27.50.
      The rack measures 1390 x 420 x 2200 mm (L x W x H). The plan is to hold 2 x 2'x15"x15" tanks on the top and middle tier each, and a 4'x15"x15" hospital/quarantine/grow out/sump tank on the bottom tier.
      Each tank would be insulated by 20mm foam around the sides, back and base as I plan to run both tropical (28-30 degrees C) and chilled (22-24 degrees C) tanks on this rack. Plumbing for air and sump would be hidden within the frame.

Please disregard the mess in the background. Still sorting out stuff in the garage after the move.
      From this:

To this:

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Crabclaw
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Had a quick look in my new invertebrates book and think they are Limnopilos naiganetri! If so it says temperature 24 to 28, Ph 7.5 - 8.5. They should be given driftwood and floating plants. It also says that although they carry eggs, raising the young has not been done in captivity (book produced 2015). This youtube video says she has had breeding though???? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPOIq4AsZCE I had thought about getting some in the past but as she says they are a bit like spiders so that put me off................ Hope everything else is going well still! Simon  
    • kms
      I'm really happy, finally a local shop in Hong Kong had some of these crabs, not to sure which variation of the spider crabs,, but they advertised them as miniature spider crabs (Limnopilos naiyanetri) , I was going to bring them back from Taiwan if I find any, but no need now, got them for about GBP 13.50 for 10 crabs, I will pick up another 30 crabs in the next few day.   The first photo is the crabs in the bag, I won't get home till tmr, the second photo is taken at the shop.
    • jayc
      You can do large water changes, I do it every 6 months to reset the minerals in the water, but you cannot just dump the new water back into the tank. It needs to be fed in slowly. I drip in the new water after adjusting it to match previous parameters.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Shrimp don't need much of a water change as they are low bioload! I have 30L and only do 2L per week so as with JayC cut back on the water change amount, even .5 litre would be ok! Large water changes tend to trigger moulting so they may be moulting too often? They may drop the eggs if they aren't fertilised and therefore unwanted! Have you seen any that look to be able yet? Simon