revolutionhope

Air-driven sponge-filters with space for media

revolutionhope

Hey skfa,

I'm trying to get some tips and feedback on how people find these newer style of sponge filters are doing.

I know there are at least a couple of types of them available in australia and I am planning to shut down my canister filters and replace them with this style of filtration.

I'd love to know what are the potential negatives with these things. How reliable they are and ultimately i need to decide which model/make is the best quality one before I go ahead and purchase a bunch of them soon.

TIA

will

• Like 2

Madmerv

Interested in following this one. Please post your opinions and the outcome/conclusion. 

jayc

They work like other air sponge filters, except they give the extra benefit of additional biological filtration. It will never replace a canister filter in efficiency and capacity to filter a tank. But small nano tanks can get away with them. Given a choice of a normal sponge filter and a Biospon filter for a nano tank, you would pick the Biospon any day for the extra biological filtration. But for any tank larger than a nano, canisters are still hard to beat. 

Like any air driven sponge filters, they clog quickly, at least a lot quicker than canisters. Which means more maintenance.

If you like a tank that is free of clutter like cables, heaters, tubes, CO2 diffusers, etc, than adding a sponge filter of any sort is going to add to the clutter.  

• Like 1

neo-2FX

You might find this topic an interesting read

Sponge filters are great for shrimp tanks especially the ones with media chambers for reasons stated above from jayc and because the shrimp feed off of the sponge.

I personally find them a bit of a pain to maintain and in future would probably stick to cannister.

I also get really nervous shoving my hands in the tank to take out the sponges to clean as I'm afraid of losing shrimplets or introducing some nasty chemicals, from my hands, unintentionally. 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

Join Our Community!

• sdlTBfanUK
      Thanks for that, I think I will try that just so that I know, though I don't think they will be going back into the tank now. Will be good to know though whether they were the reason. Simon edit 1hr later - I have done this, and also put some of the water in a cup to test the water itself, will leave both a week and report back. Ph was 5.5 when set up
    • beanbag
      My guess is a fungus, so remove it as much as possible and do water change (slowly). The common causes of fungus are overfeeding (left over food), something that is decaying (plants or animals), or something emitting sugars, like driftwood.
    • beanbag
      acid test them or leave it in a glass of remineralized water and check its pH again after a few days.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      All the other parameters are stable and perfect, and the newly filtered remineralised water that goes into the tank when doing a water change is Ph5.5. I use the dennerle mineral double in place of salty shrimp as it is easier to use being a liquid! I do 10% water changes each week. It is a bit baffling to me but as there is no obvious problems at this point I am not too worried but will probably get some new substrate ready, just in case. The substrate that is in the tank is a year old and as mentioned the only other unknown that may have caused the problem was I had 3 geodes in the tank, which are a type of rock? Simon
    • sdlTBfanUK
      I leave the sides and back alone as well and the shrimplets seem to come out onto that a lot and IF there are new borns that is the only place where I get to see them. When you do a water change you need to add in the new water very slowly also, most use some sort of dripper setup. It may just be that the setup wasn't established enough, that is what I put my fungus down too anyway. Mine wasn't really anywhere that I could remove it but it cleared in less than a week, but if you can remove some manually I would do that.I imagine just adding the shrimp may cause a small/temporary imbalance as it then has to adjust again, if that makes sense?  Hopefully you won't loose any more shrimps, and I wouldn't worry too much about the fungus unless it just keeps getting worse, as I have had this happen a few times with newish tanks and it has always just cleared up in about a week. Simon