TDS in CRS Tank

GotCrabs

Hi, just wanted to hear some feedback on thoughts about the TDS in my tank.

I currently have 15 Crystal Red Shrimp in a 45l tank, substrate is Fluval Shrimp Stratum, temperature is 22c, pH is 6.6, unsure of kH and gH though, plants are various Anubias and some Java Moss on Malaysian driftwood, filtration is a Eheim 2213.

Was reading yesterday that TDS should be around 150, I tested and found the TDS in the tank to be around 260 odd, did a 50% water change and got it down to 136 I think it was, tested again today with a TDS pen and is now 160 odd, have removed melting leaves, anything that looks not healthy, which wasn't much to be honest.

Really wanting the CRS to breed and have a really healthy tank, tank water comes straight from the rain water tank and the TDS in that is 16.

The CRS tend to hang around the filter intake, one or two will wonder off now and then, not too interested in foods at the moment either, seem to just pick at the sponge intake, should I be worried?

18275085_295748264202358_297375156776856

18301741_295748267535691_405426057303741

Hey mate, that's a pretty big jump for 24 hours, definitely check it again tomorrow. Can you give some detail about what the substrate is and what other items are in the aquarium including especially any rocks ornaments or wood? Also what media are you using in your canister is it the eheim branded gear or something different

• Like 2

Also... in ferts?

Highly recommended to get a liquid GH and KH test kit, especially with crystals...

• Like 1

OK, in the tank I am running with an Eheim 2213 canister filter, Fluval Shrimp Stratum, Malaysian Driftwood, Anubias nana, Anubias Paco, Anubias Afzelli, Java Moss, Amazon Frogbit, that's it, going to give the filter a clean out now and see if that resolves anything.

OK, did a filter clean, all sponge media taken out and washed in a bucket of tank water, all hoses washed out through the rain water tap, everything placed back in and together, before the clean TDS was 177, tested afterwards and TDS is now 155, all shrimp are moving around more actively also, will see how it goes and test TDS again tonight.

• Like 1

Just had another look, shrimp behaviour has completely changed, alot more active, moving around the tank, exploring, not interested in being on the intake sponge.

• Like 1

Keep an eye out for any ammonia, nitrite or nitrate spikes. Too much cleaning could potentially lead to a mini-cycle.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Highly recommend getting test kits,

From my experience shrimp all hanging out on the filter is never a good sign.

I can see diatoms so I'm guessing maybe it's not a very mature tank, That could be the issue more then anything.

If your using rain water where has all the tds come from, Did you add minerals initially?

Ive got a similar setup using rainwater and they are breeding and thriving. 

They like Indian almond leaf, And I add shrimp mineral balls also.

Apart from that I never really do anything special.

Edited by Zebra