Sign in to follow this  
NoGi

New Library Article - Clea helena - Assassin Snail

NoGi

Clea helena is one of the most sought-after species in the aquarium business as it has the capability to hunt down pest snails; thus, helping solve the snail infestation concerns in fish tanks. Except for this, they are a peaceful community tank resident. Keep reading to know more about the assassin snail.       

Appearance

5928777626_a82d82f690_b.jpgTheir shells are conical and are prominent because of their yellow and dark brown stripes – adding a splash of color inside the fish tank.

Unlike other species, it is not possible to tell which a female assassin snail is and which a male is. They breathe by sticking out their siphon – like other snails. Clea helena grows as large as 0.5 inch or 1.3 cm. However, there were reports of finding bigger snails. As the large snails age, they begin to lose the tip of their shell.    

Natural Habitat

Assassin snails are found in Southeast Asia and are native to Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand. As freshwater aquatics, they occupy small bodies of water like streams and ponds. They prefer to live in areas where there are sandy or muddy substrates. Thus, if you are thinking about placing them in an aquarium, you should be able to reproduce a habitat like these conditions.

Care

It is so easy to look after an assassin snail. Water parameters are not essential, but to best care for them, keep them in water with medium hardness (pH 6.5-7.5). Their appearance may seem to point out that they move slowly but the truth is that they move quickly on any surface. Anyone can notice this particularly when they are hungry – and after they are fed as they disappear immediately.

Feeding

They eat other species of snails and worms, but they also devour anything they can find – including decaying fish and other small or soft-bodied invertebrates. Because of this, they do not give aquarists like you a hard time feeding them. If in case the tank has a significant population of snail, then you have nothing to worry about feeding them. Other aquarists feed them with brine shrimp, frozen blood worms and others.

Breeding

Some snails contain both the female and male reproductive organs. When they mate, they can produce eggs or young. However, these assassin snails are born a female or a male. Because you can’t tell their sex, buy 5 or 6 of them so you can at least be sure that you will have a male and a female. They mate for about 3 to 5 hours before they separate. Shortly thereafter, the female assassin snail will lay eggs (up to 4). These eggs, in a gelatinous square with a yellow centre appearance, emerge in a straight line.

Feed them meaty food as it helps in good reproduction.

Lifespan

Clea helena can live around two years, but make sure that the aquarium is well-maintained and they can easily exceed this lifespan.

Sources

Clea helena (assassin snail)

Clea helena 

Wikipedia

Image Sources

5928777626_a82d82f690_b.jpg PKMousie Flickr cc

View full article

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Heidi
      By Heidi
      Hello! I'm new here and not sure if this is the way to ask questions or not so please let me know if I'm meant to do it some other way.
      I recently received 3 nerite snails last Wednesday and two were DOA (dead on arrival). Actually, there wasnt even anything inside the two shells!! One however, was alive but in bad shape as its shell was not in good condition so I am going to provide it with calcium powder soon. I've read that they take a little time to adjust to new environments but the little guy hasnt moved since he arrived. I gently tugged on his trapdoor and he resisted so I assume he is alive as he also doesn't smell rotten. I've tried putting kale or algae wafers under him but nothing ): Does fluval stratum substrate have copper in it because I've heard that they are sensitive to copper and that is the substrate I am using which I didnt even think about! 
      I was also wondering if there were any Aussie sellers here that have any of the black nerite snail variety? I heard that they are legal here but please correct me if I am wrong.
      So sorry for the long post.. any response would be greatly appreciated! ?
    • NoGi
      By NoGi
      Clea helena is one of the most sought-after species in the aquarium business as it has the capability to hunt down pest snails; thus, helping solve the snail infestation concerns in fish tanks. Except for this, they are a peaceful community tank resident. Keep reading to know more about the assassin snail.       
      Appearance
      Their shells are conical and are prominent because of their yellow and dark brown stripes – adding a splash of color inside the fish tank.
      Unlike other species, it is not possible to tell which a female assassin snail is and which a male is. They breathe by sticking out their siphon – like other snails. Clea helena grows as large as 0.5 inch or 1.3 cm. However, there were reports of finding bigger snails. As the large snails age, they begin to lose the tip of their shell.    
      Natural Habitat
      Assassin snails are found in Southeast Asia and are native to Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand. As freshwater aquatics, they occupy small bodies of water like streams and ponds. They prefer to live in areas where there are sandy or muddy substrates. Thus, if you are thinking about placing them in an aquarium, you should be able to reproduce a habitat like these conditions.
      Care
      It is so easy to look after an assassin snail. Water parameters are not essential, but to best care for them, keep them in water with medium hardness (pH 6.5-7.5). Their appearance may seem to point out that they move slowly but the truth is that they move quickly on any surface. Anyone can notice this particularly when they are hungry – and after they are fed as they disappear immediately.
      Feeding
      They eat other species of snails and worms, but they also devour anything they can find – including decaying fish and other small or soft-bodied invertebrates. Because of this, they do not give aquarists like you a hard time feeding them. If in case the tank has a significant population of snail, then you have nothing to worry about feeding them. Other aquarists feed them with brine shrimp, frozen blood worms and others.
      Breeding
      Some snails contain both the female and male reproductive organs. When they mate, they can produce eggs or young. However, these assassin snails are born a female or a male. Because you can’t tell their sex, buy 5 or 6 of them so you can at least be sure that you will have a male and a female. They mate for about 3 to 5 hours before they separate. Shortly thereafter, the female assassin snail will lay eggs (up to 4). These eggs, in a gelatinous square with a yellow centre appearance, emerge in a straight line.
      Feed them meaty food as it helps in good reproduction.
      Lifespan
      Clea helena can live around two years, but make sure that the aquarium is well-maintained and they can easily exceed this lifespan.

Sources
      Clea helena (assassin snail)
      Clea helena 
      Wikipedia
      Image Sources
      PKMousie Flickr cc

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

Join Our Community!

• beanbag
      Another thing you can do to avoid rescaping: Just take some of the fresh soil and put it in your filter.
    • Zenplay,thailand
      Thx ^^
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Hopefully the fish has just damaged itself as you say, mine do that sometimes, although the changes in the water will undoubtedly have caused them stress and the water they prefer was the water you started off with? There are sections on this forum dedicated to fish, I used it when I decided to try a Betta and got great advice from JayC and this Betta is doing way better than any I have tried before because of all the different things I did/do this time! https://skfaquatics.com/forum/forums/forum/116-fish-keepers/ Great to hear that the shrimps are doing so well. I think it is natural for the berried shrimp to hide away when they are near to birth as it protects the newly hatched shrimps when they are born, and the babies don't move far when they newly hatched either. There would be little to gain at this stage in getting more shrimps before getting a bigger/new tank, it may even be detrimental? I admit to being lazy sometimes and not topping up the tank between weekly maintenance/water changes (disgraceful really as I keep a 1litre bottle of RO water right next to the tank anyway), in which case I end up taking out 2litres and putting back 3litres at the next change, but need to make an allowance for the fact the TDS will change. When I set up the new Taiwan bee tank I measured the water I put into the tank at the start (assuming the measuring jug is anywhere near accurate) so that is how I know there is 28litres in the 35litre tank - it is a good idea to do this WITH A NEW TANK (but with everything in the tank, heater, filter substrate etc) as it is so much easier to do at that point anyway. I did the same with the Betta tank and that has 20litres in a 25litre tank (the one you were thinking of getting at some point). Without the exact figure to put in the spreadsheet then it won't be 'accurate (can still be used to give you as near an idea as needed though)', especially on a small tank! It works to the digit with mine. Even if you empty the tank and refill it probably won't be that accurate as the soil will have absorbed some water, so best do it first fill of new tank. Your water parameters are looking good and pretty much there now so all else being well you should be able to go back to once a week maintenance/water change. I don't know much about Nitrite/Nitrate as I have never had any readings, apart from the old fish/cherry shrimp tank which has always been 50 nitrate for years, probably because there are too many fish but there has never been a problem in that tank? PURELY AS A GUESS I would think the duckweed may have caused the problem/imbalance, but that is ONLY a guess based on I used it once and swore never again, I use water lettuce now, though that isn't perfect either as the routes grow so quickly that I have to trim those every week, but still a lot easier than duckweed.  Simon
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Thanks JayC, I think it is called a Geode, that was what it was sold as when I bought it in US many years ago though it could be something else? I think it is some sort of meteorite? Hopefully, as you say, now it is removed the PH may start to drop and I have put one in some prepared water to test in a week. I will also just see what happens with prepared water left out for the same period just to see what happens with that. Simon
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Those are very good quality shrimps and photos. Simon