Sign in to follow this  
GotCrabs

All In One Tank Suggestions For Betta Please

GotCrabs

Hi all, haven't really been on for awhile due to life's challenges that get thrown our way from time to time but have thought I would jump on and ask for some suggestions on the following.

My Mum has a bright red Betta that she adores and it's currently in a 12g that I use to keep all my shrimp in, well the Betta took care of them all and I'm in the process of making it back into a shrimp only tank with just Anubias on driftwood and Moss, so I am after some suggestions for an all in one nano set up for a Betta, I've looked on eBay and haven't found anything I really like or should I say trust that won't break as some look quite cheap and would like to buy her something decent that will do the job well, checked out the Fluval Chi but think the lighting is quite poor though, so think that's out of the question also.

Anyway, if anyone could give me some suggestions it would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

GotCrabs

For those who are interested... I ended up buying a Aqua One Betta Villa Trio yesterday, the LFS only had that and the Betta Haven, felt the Haven was too small so went with the Trio, got it home and put it together and realised the sections weren't that much larger either, have now put the Betta in a separate tank and have pulled out the dividers in the Trio, will remove the silicon from the tank later today so that it's all one tank which would be more ideal so more room for the Betta to move around, can't say I'm a fan of these small Betta tanks, fish need room to swim, not look miserable and uninterested.

• Like 1

NoGi

I'm not that familiar with Betta but do they swim around much in larger tanks or just float on along like a cruisy sunday?

• Like 1

cate

That Betta would love a bigger tank. They can be pretty miserable in real small areas. I think the way most pet stores keep them, in a cup, is really inhumane. Give him the biggest size that is practical for you. Add a few plants if you can.

• Like 2

OzShrimp

If you put it in a tank which has reflection on the glass you may want to consider covering the sides in carboard or painting it etc. You will find the male will spend alot of time flaring out at the reflection postering which can lead to stress which then onto disease in rare cases.

• Like 1

waffle

Betta are pretty intelligent and independent fish, so yeah I think removing the dividers is a good move to give it swimming room. Personally I'd not go with less than 20L, preferably 40L. Water quality is easier to maintain, too. They seem to love having a decent sized territory and plenty of stimulation so long as the water isn't too deep and the current isn't too strong (more of an issue for those with encumbering fins - those closer to wild form like plakats can swim well enough). Plenty of objects, plants, and some larger shrimp or other inverts is nice for keeping them stimulated, and regularly rearranging the scape seems to excite them a lot.

Example: My rescue betta had mobility problems due to fin structure issues but he still patrolled his territory, swam over and under everything he could find, and moved light weight stuff around by shoving it. He also enjoyed trolling the cherry shrimp culls by swimming into a mob of them on their food. He didn't like to eat their food or try to eat them - he just liked to watch them scatter if he swam into the group with his fins fluffed out. He'd then sit on the shrimp crack and wait for them to gather around again before flaring his fins to scare them. Can't say all bettas will be this placid to shrimp though!!!

• Like 1

GotCrabs

At this stage I have the Betta sitting in the Mr Aqua 12g Long, 90cm x 25cm x 25cm or something like that, so plenty of room to get around and the tank is full of Anubias nana and other Anubias on driftwood with Moss.

In two minds about making the Betta Villa Trio into a Crystal Red tank or making the Mr Aqua into a Crystal Red tank though.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Crabby
      By Crabby
      Okay, so the title pretty much says it all... One of my berried tts just moulted, and she left the eggs in the moult. What happened, and why? 
      I'm going to try to save the eggs with some sort of extraction, and I'll be very careful. She was pretty far along. I think I'll use the net over bubbler method. Does anyone have experience with this, and particularly the extraction? I won't do anything until I have some idea to go off. 
      Thanks in advance.
      Crabby
      Oh and the moult is under like 2 hours old. Wasn't there when I started watching a movie, was there when I checked back after.
      Going off this video: 
      Hoping the process will be similar. 

• Subtlefly
      By Subtlefly
      Hi team,
      So I am really excited by the unreal shallow aquscaped tanks that I see online and I love the idea of keeping shrimp.  I have some native red nosed shrimp breeding in a pond outside but really want to put some red or blue cherry shrimp in an aquascape where I can see them do their thing.  

ada 60 F  60x30x18 is the right price and I see beautiful examples online but I feel 30 litres is not enough, especially considering hardscape and soil going in. (what do you think?)
      ada 90 F 90x30x20 would be my ideal choice but its sooo expensive. $600+ and then freight to Bundaberg! (Wife says no)
      Mr aqua Komoda 3ft 90x30x30. - great tank low iron glass but the dimensions are losing the shallow look
      Mr Aqua Komoda 4tf 120x30x30 - great tank, low iron glass - lots of room for shrimp and a school of celestial danios or chilli rasboras - dimensions might work for shallow look, but lights, plants and filtration getting expensive at this point (plus freight!)
      lastly and temptingly Mr Aqua 12 gallon bookshelf - 91x21x24. But I cant seem to find low iron glass version in Australian shops?  (or are they low iron?). This tank would be perfect but I am worried if I get this tank(one shot at getting it right) I might be unhappy in the long run?
      Do you guys have any preference here? ( which one and why?)

Am I missing any ultra clear shallow tank alternatives?  I have seen some mention of FireAqua bookshelf tank online but I cant find a retailer.. and I see you guys talking about aquamaxx tanks but where do I get one of them?
      Thanks so much for your time and efforts- if you have a tank pref can you suggest the light you would pair it with?   It will be a low tech planted tank (wife says no CO2). 
      Budget around $800 for setup of tank lights and filter maybe ( obviously less means plants and shrimp can be added sooner!)
      any advice welcome.. 
      cheers sub

• Crabby
      By Crabby
      Hey folks!
      So I got myself a little 5 gallon (20L) recently (it was free!) to use for quarantine. I’m going to use it to qt some cory cats and maybe some tetras or gouramis for my community tank. The thing is, I’ve got it set up really nicely in my room and I want to have it actually stocked. I definitely don’t want a betta, but I found some super cute guppies on gumtree (Wild Thai Orchid) that I can never find locally. How many guppies do u think I could get in the tank?? The seller only has 4 pairs, so is selling in pairs but not trios, so that could have an affect on the amount. I also plan on adding shrimp, either of a neo or caridina variety, or native - like dae or chameleons. 
      So my questions are: how many guppies could go in the tank (assuming they breed and I keep the babies in with them for about a month each time), could I fit in anything else (with a pair or 4), like a couple of chilli rasboras or rocket killies, and will the shrimps be enough for a cleanup crew, or should I add an Otto or something?
      Cheers!
    • Crabby
      By Crabby
      Hey guys, I thought I’d just make a single topic for my community tank, so I stop running around in other chats asking the same questions 😁. I’m going thru a big change in the tank at the moment, so will likely update in the morning with photos once the cloudiness is gone. Be prepared for a possibly very long message about a 10 hour process 😂.
      Cheerio!
  • Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Healingeagle
      Planaria easy fix.  Panacur c Kills all worms and snails shrimp happily stay alive and unaffected. Simple easy fix. The thing is it takes a couple of months for it to completely be safe for snails again. Planaria will kill shrimp, they leave a toxic trail behind them that can paralyze the little shrimp allowing them to be worm food.
    • jayc
      Planaria eggs (or cocoon) are way too small to be seen. So a full tear down of the tank will definitely take care of them.  Just be careful with re-using anything from the old tank. Hardscape items can be boiled. Plants need to be treated. I've always used the mild bleach treatment. 1part bleach to 19parts water, and soak for 5 minutes. Rinse carefully before putting it back into a tank. I don't use bleach on anything porous like drift wood or sponge though.  The empty tank can be washed in white vinegar, rinse clean and let dry in the sun before using the tank.  
    • EBC
      Hope you feel better! Super keen to hear how the carbonated water approach works. Still need to find the hours I need to do a full tank tear down but planning on using carbonated water to treat the plants before they go back in. Hoping this manages to kill anything clinging to the plants. Anyone know what scud eggs are like? Looking it up, they seem to carry the eggs similar to shrimp so there shouldn't be any clinging to any driftwood or anything right? Also, I have some planaria in my tank as well (small that don't actually seem to bother the shrimp, not even the babies). Anyone know if there are eggs or anything that I need to worry about with them? Or should the full tear down and careful replacement of shrimp and plants take care of both?
    • Healingeagle
      I have had Fish in most all these tanks. I never seem to be able to get rid of them They never go away Fish tank herpies. Worse than duckweed. I have a couple tanks were there may be none, 10g planted tank with 3 kuli loaches in it for 4 or 5 years, and a thin sand empty tank with Corys in it those tanks the fish I suspect might have possibly done it, I bet on the scuds, resilient basterds. I'm buying sparkling water today. 
    • sdlTBfanUK
      The fish may work so that you don't even need to transfer the shrimp out to another tank, just remove the angel fish after say a week of not seeing any scud in each tank. You will have probably also lost any baby shrimp but you can rebuild on that from the adult shrimp left as long as the angel fish don't get large enough to eat those as well? If you see any big scuds you should still try and get those out manually if you can as even the fish may not be interested in those if the fish are small? I hope this works well for you. If you do transfer shrimp it is very unlikely the scuds would be on the shrimp, they are more likely to be caught in the net where they can be hard to spot if they are babies! Simon