Sign in to follow this  
GotCrabs

All In One Tank Suggestions For Betta Please

GotCrabs

Hi all, haven't really been on for awhile due to life's challenges that get thrown our way from time to time but have thought I would jump on and ask for some suggestions on the following.

My Mum has a bright red Betta that she adores and it's currently in a 12g that I use to keep all my shrimp in, well the Betta took care of them all and I'm in the process of making it back into a shrimp only tank with just Anubias on driftwood and Moss, so I am after some suggestions for an all in one nano set up for a Betta, I've looked on eBay and haven't found anything I really like or should I say trust that won't break as some look quite cheap and would like to buy her something decent that will do the job well, checked out the Fluval Chi but think the lighting is quite poor though, so think that's out of the question also.

Anyway, if anyone could give me some suggestions it would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

GotCrabs

For those who are interested... I ended up buying a Aqua One Betta Villa Trio yesterday, the LFS only had that and the Betta Haven, felt the Haven was too small so went with the Trio, got it home and put it together and realised the sections weren't that much larger either, have now put the Betta in a separate tank and have pulled out the dividers in the Trio, will remove the silicon from the tank later today so that it's all one tank which would be more ideal so more room for the Betta to move around, can't say I'm a fan of these small Betta tanks, fish need room to swim, not look miserable and uninterested.

• Like 1

NoGi

I'm not that familiar with Betta but do they swim around much in larger tanks or just float on along like a cruisy sunday?

• Like 1

cate

That Betta would love a bigger tank. They can be pretty miserable in real small areas. I think the way most pet stores keep them, in a cup, is really inhumane. Give him the biggest size that is practical for you. Add a few plants if you can.

• Like 2

OzShrimp

If you put it in a tank which has reflection on the glass you may want to consider covering the sides in carboard or painting it etc. You will find the male will spend alot of time flaring out at the reflection postering which can lead to stress which then onto disease in rare cases.

• Like 1

waffle

Betta are pretty intelligent and independent fish, so yeah I think removing the dividers is a good move to give it swimming room. Personally I'd not go with less than 20L, preferably 40L. Water quality is easier to maintain, too. They seem to love having a decent sized territory and plenty of stimulation so long as the water isn't too deep and the current isn't too strong (more of an issue for those with encumbering fins - those closer to wild form like plakats can swim well enough). Plenty of objects, plants, and some larger shrimp or other inverts is nice for keeping them stimulated, and regularly rearranging the scape seems to excite them a lot.

Example: My rescue betta had mobility problems due to fin structure issues but he still patrolled his territory, swam over and under everything he could find, and moved light weight stuff around by shoving it. He also enjoyed trolling the cherry shrimp culls by swimming into a mob of them on their food. He didn't like to eat their food or try to eat them - he just liked to watch them scatter if he swam into the group with his fins fluffed out. He'd then sit on the shrimp crack and wait for them to gather around again before flaring his fins to scare them. Can't say all bettas will be this placid to shrimp though!!!

• Like 1

GotCrabs

At this stage I have the Betta sitting in the Mr Aqua 12g Long, 90cm x 25cm x 25cm or something like that, so plenty of room to get around and the tank is full of Anubias nana and other Anubias on driftwood with Moss.

In two minds about making the Betta Villa Trio into a Crystal Red tank or making the Mr Aqua into a Crystal Red tank though.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Crabclaw
      By Crabclaw
      Hey guys, I thought I’d just make a single topic for my community tank, so I stop running around in other chats asking the same questions 😁. I’m going thru a big change in the tank at the moment, so will likely update in the morning with photos once the cloudiness is gone. Be prepared for a possibly very long message about a 10 hour process 😂.
      Cheerio!
    • Crabclaw
      By Crabclaw
      Hey guys, just found an add for this website showcasing a cool-lookin native algae eating shrimp.
      https://algaeeatingshrimp.com.au/products/australian-algae-eating-shrimp
      Anyone heard of these before or own any? My interest was peaked by the claim that they eat hair-type algae, as I have some on my crypts and lace fern that I cannot remove. And for a price of $4 ea, and super easy parameters, they sound pretty doable! 
      Tell me more oh great SKFians! 😁
      (or feel free to point me towards an already existing page)
      post-note: have you/do you keep these grubs? Seems like your sort of thing.
    • Crabclaw
      By Crabclaw
      Hey guys, I’m going away for a few weeks and having a neighbour take care of my tank, as they are already gonna be caring for my cat during that period. I’ll be away for 2 and a half weeks, so not a huge amount of time, but the neighbour doesn’t have any experience with fish or shrimp tank maintenance.
      The tank will be fine without a water change during that time as long as I do one before I leave, I know that, but my 2 main problems are feeding and stopping my intake sponge from clogging up.
      For feeding I was considering getting a couple of pill boxes, like the ones that have seperate compartments for each day of the week, so I can set a certain amount for each day, and which foods.
      But for the intake sponge, I’m pretty stumped. My current intake is a sponge filter connected to the intake pipe, but it’s been clogging up once or twice a week due to how fine it is (and how messy my fish are). When it’s clogged, it puts strain on the canister filter’s motor, and that’s not good. I don’t trust her with cleaning it safely, plus I’m only paying her for 5 mins in the morning, and 5 at night. I’ve considered a mesh intake, but it looks like it could hurt a fish if it went past it quickly... plus I can’t check the size of the inside where the pipe could go as the only one I’ve found would have to be posted.
      Are there easy alternatives that I wouldn’t have to mod, or do intake sponges come in courser versions? (I haven’t checked).

Any input would be appreciated!

• Crabclaw
      By Crabclaw
      Hey guys, I’m really wanting to get freshwater crabs, and the only ones I’ve found are A. Lacustris and A. Laevis. I can only put them in a 110 L community tank for now, but may have another option in the future. The tank is stocked with a large school of ember tetras, some rocket killies, some endlers, some tangerine tiger shrimp, and a pair of apistogrammas. Rare aqua advised that A. Lacustris would likely be eaten by the apistos, so the obvious choice would be A. Laevis, because they’re larger... right? But I’m worried that they might predate upon my shrimp, so wanted to hear some advice and opinions from more people with experience keeping these crabs.
      Cheers!
    • Crabclaw
      By Crabclaw
      Hey guys, I’m really wanting to get freshwater crabs, and the only ones I’ve found are A. Lacustris and A. Laevis. I can only put them in a 110 L community tank for now, but may have another option in the future. The tank is stocked with a large school of ember tetras, some rocket killies, some endlers, some tangerine tiger shrimp, and a pair of apistogrammas. Rare aqua advised that A. Lacustris would likely be eaten by the apistos, so the obvious choice would be A. Laevis, because they’re larger... right? But I’m worried that they might predate upon my shrimp, so wanted to hear some advice and opinions from more people with experience keeping these crabs.
      Cheers!
  • Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• jayc
      Same here with my chillers. One Teco branded and the other Hailea. Both are do the same. Those are small temp differences and nothing to worry about. Also, depending on where the temp probe, you can get different temps in one tank. For example, the temps on the leftmost side of the tank can be a few degrees off compared to the rightmost side of the tank. It's just how it is. 
    • Steensj2004
      I really want one now, lol. I’ve looked at pictures and I want one!😂   Side note, but related, I joint an all shrimp group on FaceBook. The shrimp these people are breeding are breathtaking. 
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Don't worry about Crystal browns as they are so rare you are unlikely to get one, but if you do you won't want to cull it or give it away (just treasure it, I would), that would be madness.................. (scroll down for picture)! Simon
    • Steensj2004
      Thanks. I’m not too concerned, if I get some browns, I’ll cull them into the cull tank. My buddy has a 75 gallon he wants to stock up with anything I don’t want, so the culls have a permanent home. I’m not looking to develop a super straight or pure line anyway, I just like the shrimps. Besides, I already have both in the tank😂 Top off is done with pure RODI, this is something I learned from salt tanks. Thanks for the advice, but I assume it has to do with feeding ETC since I’ve been using pure water for top offs. Ah, I gotcha. Thanks for the response. I’ve really noticed the creep increasing since I’ve started dosing the Shrimp Fit. While it isn’t a lot, it’s more than when I was dosing just BacterAE. Previously I saw less of an increase. My main concern was how it may affect the shrimp.     With the mix of CBS/CRS, what ratio of browns might I end up with? Will they have similar patterns to other crystals, but with the colored portion being brown? I actually don’t hate that.... Based on my reading, the brown should be somewhat the odd one out, correct? And if I’m not mistaken, somewhat of a generational dependent mutation. 2-3 generations in or so?
    • javierhnb
      Really? Why bb x red panda? Have YOU got good results? I AM surprised Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk