Transferring Berried CRS Between Tanks.

Brentwillmers

Just a quick question. 

I have a fully cycled aquarium I setup for CRS

The current aquarium PH has become unstable due to the soil loosening its buffering capabilities. Now sitting at neutral (ph7) 

i have berried females and don't want them to loose the berries once transferred. 

Any ideas on this one. 

If all the tank parameters are extremely similar you can just net them between the tanks usually without problem. If not place them in a container and drip acclimatise with an airline as would be done when receiving new stock :-)

I think Brent is concern about the berried females, and netting them might stress them to drop their eggs.

You could try netting them, but don't lift them out of the water, instead, scoop up the net and some water with an old ice cream tub or similar plastic container. So the shrimp remain in water the whole time.

Drip acclimatise for a couple of hours and introduce them to the new tank.

• Like 2

That's a brilliant idea using the tub. 

I have ordered the shrimper glass shrimp net just waiting for it to be delivered. 

But the PH is just to unstable to leave the shrimp in any longer. 

Thanks guys appreciate it 

20 hours ago, Brentwillmers said:

That's a brilliant idea using the tub.

I'm full of brilliant ideas. ?

6 hours ago, jayc said:

I'm full of brilliant ideas. 1f609.png

Good I like to hear it. Now how to get them breeding every month. I tried showing them sexy shrimpy pic but hasn't helped?

32 minutes ago, Brentwillmers said:

I tried showing them sexy shrimpy pic but hasn't helped1f602.png

HAHAHA. Shrimp pron. Or is it shrimp prawn !

Sorry I couldn't resist. 

• Like 1

HAHAHA. Shrimp pron. Or is it shrimp prawn !

Sorry I couldn't resist. 

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] that's the best one I've heard yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never had a shrimp dropping eggs after being transfered from one tank to another. All my hybrids are transfered to different tanks when they are berried to keep track of the generations ?

6 hours ago, anthonyd said:

All my hybrids are transfered to different tanks

How do you transfer them?

I've only ever performed a transfer of berried shrimp once and despite my best efforts the next day she dropped them. 

I realy liked Jayc idea to keep them submerged and definitely going to give that a go 

• HOF Member

I use a maternity tank for my hybrids and transfer berried girls all the time with no problems -I also often use a maternity tank for TB and CRS . I make sure the tanks are similar in WP's so that makes it easier however I still re acclimatise them to the new tank although only for a very short time - just until the TDS is the same. All 12 of my tanks are kept very similar so it doesn't cause an issue. My shrimplet survival rate is excellent . I use a maternity tank because I have seen adults actually flick babies away from food  -I have been doing this for over 3 years. so just use normal precautions of similar temp ,PH and TDS plus a small re acclimatisation and you shouldn't have a problem. I very rarely net straight from 1 tank to another without re acclimatising

• Like 2

I use a shrimp net to catch them and drop them in their new tank

I've moved dozens of berried shrimps with a net too and haven't had any issues that I know of but maybe there's a slight adverse affect. It seems possible but I don't know enough about shrimp physiology to even guess!

• HOF Member

There probably isn't an issue but why take the chance. I pop the girls into a container and gently introduce water from the new tank. Even though we keep our tanks similar they are never 100% the same. There are temperature fluctuations, TDS in some tanks can rise due to population etc so while a small difference won't hurt any great difference can cause osmotic changes in the shrimp. PH is another issue - My tanks are all treated exactly the same , same water , same salty shrimp , same substrates but when testing ph there can be several points difference. Shrimp are very hardy usually so small differences don't cause much trouble but for the sake of a few minutes I don't consider it's worth the risk personally.

So far as far as I can tell I haven't ever had any females drop their eggs after transfer, I have had females drop eggs but not those in the maternity tanks.

But each to their own I guess. I will continue to take the bit of extra time to make sure my girls are OK

• Like 2

Well unfortunately one of my berried girls didn't like the idea of being moved and decided to do the horizontal mumbo. 

Any thoughts on saving the eggs don't have a tumbler yet and going to order one today but it won't get here for at least a week. 

She only had about a week to go before they hatched. 

Just curious on how would you extract the eggs safely, and what's a good tumbler I see newbreed has 2 options on tumblers. 

As always any experienced info is really appreciated unlike googles crazy answers 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Brent I know it's late to reply but I have seen the process described in a thread here somewhere.

I just wanted to add I have had a change of heart re transferrinv berried shrimp and will now be keeping them submerged when I do this (at least with valuable shrimps i still probably won't bother for cherries as I mentioned most of mine seemed not to care much)

[emoji173][emoji111][emoji445]
will

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, revolutionhope said:

Thanks bud. 

I received my glass shrimper net from Newbreed aquatics and from now on will definitely be using it. It's an awesome tool to catch and keep your shrimps submerged with very little stress on the shrimp because they fully submerged and can still move freely. 

My babies are doing well in their new tank and settled in nicely. 

I used to net mine straight out with nil issues never had one drop eggs either. Breed them tough :P

I never liked drip acclimating in a bucket or anythign i always preferred the breeder box method and controlling the flow

• Like 1

13 hours ago, OzShrimp said:

I never liked drip acclimating in a bucket or anythign i always preferred the breeder box method and controlling the flow

Got to admit OzShrimp, I don't always have the patience to drip acclimatize either and rush the process a bit. But unfortunately my shrimp are absolutely little princesses and refuse to behave if I move to quick or even net them. The glass shrimper net is the go and works really well for my sensitive shrimp. But for acclimatization it's the drip method (for about 2 hours) on a fast drip till I triple the water volume and seal the bag and let it lie in the new tank to stabilize the water temp for an hour. Then cut a hole in the bottom of the bag and let them swim as they please into their new surroundings. Whole process time is about 2-3hours. Wouldn't go any faster than that, been there before and always seemed to loose shrimps  

but thanks for your input always appreciate others perspective?

Well it all depends how pedantic you want to be with your shrimp to. For instance some people are of the opinion that you shouldnt add another persons tank water due to the risk of disease yadda yadda yadda. I always added their tank water out of bag straight into my breeder box as it was my belief that if there was disease then it would build the resistance in my shrimp anyway. 

Same could be said with peoples water change methods lol, I had a 4ft tank and i would pour 15 litres straight into the tank never had a death in actual fact i always had a crap load of shrimplets lol :)

I never saw the glass shrimper net when i had them but definitely sounds like a good alternative :)

Edited by OzShrimp
  • Like 1