CO2 delivery in a planted shrimp tank

jessaweeshrimp

I am setting up a new tank and currently have a 36" 12 gallon, a 30 gallon long, a 20 high, a 10 gallon and a 29 gallon. I am now setting up a 75 gallon. I am using a Submersible and a HOB and a UG with Power heads.

My question revolves around running the Powerheads in reverse and feeding them with CO2 from a Citric/Baking soda set up. Will the CO2 hurt the plants being delivered to the roots first for maximum diffusion? I do use Seachem Excel in my tanks trying to give the plants the edge over the algae. 

I have also used the H2O2 and CO2 punch technique successfully but haven't chatted too much about ferts and CO2. Does anyone see any concerns with my plan?

Edited by jessaweeshrimp
Misspelled too

23 minutes ago, jessaweeshrimp said:

My question revolves around running the Powerheads in reverse and feeding them with CO2 from a Citric/Baking soda set up. Will the CO2 hurt the plants being delivered to the roots first for maximum diffusion?

Not sure why you would want to do that ... feed CO2 to the UG filter.

Plants absorb CO2 at the leaves, not the roots. While it might not hurt the plants, it wont be any benefit. On top of that, your UG filter wont be doing what it's supposed to do, again it defeats the purpose of having one.

Other devices will move water and creat oxygen exchange. Impellers reportedly bust up the CO2 bubbles really well. The power heads have a line feed for air but it will already have plenty of oxygen in there.

So the thinking is run them in reverse and suck the CO2 under the gravel where the gas will break up even more trying to float up through 2" of gravel. Giving maximum dispersal to aid with plant growth and hopefully minimize the development of algae. 

I alsowanted to get any feedback regarding concerns if there are any about CO2 and healthy shrimp keeping.

I also thought that the reverse flow will still feed the bacteria and blow the waste up so the other filters can get it ?

Any additional thoughts @jayc based on my clarification? thanks in advance for your time

I would say that if you wanted to get the CO2 through the power heads then just drill a hole in the riser and inject it. Leave the power heads running the correct way. 

Plants need a small oxygen supply around the roots for good growth. Adding CO2 to the root zone would deplete this slightly and may affect how well the roots take up other nutrients. The best option would be to get an inline reactor to completely dissolve the CO2 before it even enters the tank leaving no micro bubbles to even worry about.

Shrimp are more sensitive to CO2 than fish so keep a good eye on them and so long as there is no noticeable change in behavior then it is fine. Make sure the CO2 is off about 1 hour before lights out so the O2 levels are up and CO2 level is down when dark. Or run an airstone on a timer for night time.

Edited by Madmerv
Finish off
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, jessaweeshrimp said:

Any additional thoughts

Having thought about it, yes, I have one more thought.

CO2 will negatively impact the bacteria in the substrate, leading to all sorts of issues.

@Madmerv's suggestion is best. Feed the co2 hose into the UG riser tube, where it will be pulverized by the impeller as it shoots out to the tank's water column.

I still think it's not a good idea.

But I admit that it's innovative and thinking out of the box. 

• 1 month later...

I thought that I had replied and thanked you all properly but my mind muat have slipped...again ?  Even directing the intake venturi of the powerhead in a downward angle and feeding the CO2 in there would be of some benefit with zero modifications. I was just trying to think about maximum dissolving with minimal expense. 

Thanks for the insights, much appreciated 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Must Read SKF Articles

• beanbag
      Update to say that after a few gravel vacs, front wall scrub, moss / floating plant trim, that the condition seems to have improved.  My current theory is that it is due to waste / debris management, where "stuff" like that brown mulm accumulates in the substrate and behind the HMF filters.  Maybe some tanks can somehow deal with it, but mine can't.  Also another experienced shrimper suggested that maybe those "shell bugs" don't just live on the shrimps but also in this debris.  Maybe this is the reason some tanks fail due to "old tank syndrome" where all they need is a good gravel vac? Also, I am guessing that plant trim helps too because now more of the nutrients and light go into growing algae instead of more plants? Well anyway for this tank I will try weekly water change and monthly gravel vac / plant trim.  For my next tank, I'm thinking of something like an under-gravel system where this mulm can fall down and I vac it out.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Good to have an update and good to hear you are getting shrimplets, so hopefully your colony will continue and you may not get to the point where you have to cull some to stop over population. These type of shrimp only live 12 - 18 months so the adult deaths may be natural? If you have the time I would do weekly 25% water changes, adding the new water via a drip system and do some vacuuming clean of the substrate each week, even if only a different bit each week! See if that helps in a few months and if it does then stick with that regime? It should help reduce any build-ups that may be occuring!
    • beanbag
      Hello again, much belated update: The tank still has "cycles" of 1-2 month "good streaks" where everybody seems to be doing well, and then a bad streak where the short antenna problem shows up again, and a shrimp dies once every few days.  I am not sure what causes things to go bad, but usually over the course of a few days I will start to see more shrimp quietly standing on the HMF filter, and so I know something is wrong.  Since I am not "doing anything" besides the regular 1-2 week water changes, I just assume that something bad is building up.  Here's a list of things that I've tried that are supposed to be "can't hurt" but didn't prevent the problem either: Dose every other day with Shrimp Fit (very small dose, and the shrimp seem to like it) Sotching Oxydator Seachem Purigen to keep the nitrates lower Keeping the pH below 5.5 with peat Things that I don't do often, so could possibly "reset" the tank back to a good streak, are gravel vac and plant trim, so maybe time to try those again. One other problem I used to have was that sometimes a shrimp would suddenly stop eating with a full or partially full digestive tract that doesn't clear out, and then the shrimp will die within a few days.  I suspected it was one of the foods in my rotation - Shrimp Nature Infection, which contains a bunch of herbal plant things.  I've had this in my food rotation for a few years now and generally didn't seem to cause problems, but I removed it from the rotation anyway.  I don't have a lot of adult Golden Bees at this point so I can't really tell if it worked or not. Overall the tank is not too bad - during the good streaks occasionally a shrimp will get berried and hatch babies with a 33-50% survival rate.  So while there are fewer adults now, there are also a bunch of babies roaming around.  I guess this tank will stagger on, but I really do need to take the time to start up a new tank.  (or figure out the problem)
    • jayc
      If that is the offspring, then the parents are unlikely to be PRL. I tend to agree with you. There are very few PRLs in Australia. And any that claim to be needs to show proof. PRL genes have to start as PRL. CRS that breed true after x generations doesn't turn it into a PRL. Neither can a Taiwan bee shrimp turn into a PRL despite how ever many generations. I've never seen a PRL with that sort of red colour. I have on Red Wines and Red Shadows - Taiwan bee shrimps. So somewhere down the line one of your shrimp might have been mixed with Taiwan bees and is no longer PRL. It just tanks one shrimp to mess up the genes of a whole colony. 
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Sorry, missed this one somehow! The PRL look fantastic and the odd ones look part PRL and part Red wine/Red shadow in the colour. They are still very beautiful but ideally should be seperated to help keep the PRL clean if you can do that.  Nice clear photos!