Sign in to follow this  
jessaweeshrimp

CO2 delivery in a planted shrimp tank

jessaweeshrimp

I am setting up a new tank and currently have a 36" 12 gallon, a 30 gallon long, a 20 high, a 10 gallon and a 29 gallon. I am now setting up a 75 gallon. I am using a Submersible and a HOB and a UG with Power heads.

My question revolves around running the Powerheads in reverse and feeding them with CO2 from a Citric/Baking soda set up. Will the CO2 hurt the plants being delivered to the roots first for maximum diffusion? I do use Seachem Excel in my tanks trying to give the plants the edge over the algae. 

I have also used the H2O2 and CO2 punch technique successfully but haven't chatted too much about ferts and CO2. Does anyone see any concerns with my plan?

Edited by jessaweeshrimp
Misspelled too

jayc
23 minutes ago, jessaweeshrimp said:

My question revolves around running the Powerheads in reverse and feeding them with CO2 from a Citric/Baking soda set up. Will the CO2 hurt the plants being delivered to the roots first for maximum diffusion?

Not sure why you would want to do that ... feed CO2 to the UG filter.

Plants absorb CO2 at the leaves, not the roots. While it might not hurt the plants, it wont be any benefit. On top of that, your UG filter wont be doing what it's supposed to do, again it defeats the purpose of having one.

jessaweeshrimp

Other devices will move water and creat oxygen exchange. Impellers reportedly bust up the CO2 bubbles really well. The power heads have a line feed for air but it will already have plenty of oxygen in there.

So the thinking is run them in reverse and suck the CO2 under the gravel where the gas will break up even more trying to float up through 2" of gravel. Giving maximum dispersal to aid with plant growth and hopefully minimize the development of algae. 

I alsowanted to get any feedback regarding concerns if there are any about CO2 and healthy shrimp keeping.

I also thought that the reverse flow will still feed the bacteria and blow the waste up so the other filters can get it ?

jessaweeshrimp

Any additional thoughts @jayc based on my clarification? thanks in advance for your time

Madmerv

I would say that if you wanted to get the CO2 through the power heads then just drill a hole in the riser and inject it. Leave the power heads running the correct way. 

Plants need a small oxygen supply around the roots for good growth. Adding CO2 to the root zone would deplete this slightly and may affect how well the roots take up other nutrients. The best option would be to get an inline reactor to completely dissolve the CO2 before it even enters the tank leaving no micro bubbles to even worry about.

Shrimp are more sensitive to CO2 than fish so keep a good eye on them and so long as there is no noticeable change in behavior then it is fine. Make sure the CO2 is off about 1 hour before lights out so the O2 levels are up and CO2 level is down when dark. Or run an airstone on a timer for night time.

Edited by Madmerv
Finish off
  • Like 1

jayc
11 hours ago, jessaweeshrimp said:

Any additional thoughts

Having thought about it, yes, I have one more thought.

CO2 will negatively impact the bacteria in the substrate, leading to all sorts of issues.

@Madmerv's suggestion is best. Feed the co2 hose into the UG riser tube, where it will be pulverized by the impeller as it shoots out to the tank's water column.

I still think it's not a good idea.

But I admit that it's innovative and thinking out of the box. 

jessaweeshrimp

I thought that I had replied and thanked you all properly but my mind muat have slipped...again ?  Even directing the intake venturi of the powerhead in a downward angle and feeding the CO2 in there would be of some benefit with zero modifications. I was just trying to think about maximum dissolving with minimal expense. 

Thanks for the insights, much appreciated 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Brooohm
      By Brooohm
      Hello. I have a rather new aquarium set up. Its 20 litres (5-6 gallons). I cycled it for a couple of weeks, and tested the nitrates (0.05). I then did a 50% water change and bought 10 rcs, and 6 neon tetras. It all went fine, i may have overfed a bit in the beginning, but made sure to do a 20% water change every twice a week, to compliment that. 2 first weeks went fine, but then i noticed a dead shrimp. I pulled it out, did a water change, and didnt give it much thought. About 3-4 days later, and i just found a dead neon. I might suspect i have lost more shrimp, since i couldnt see them all today, but i dont know for sure. I was just wondering, is it normal to lose a couple of fish the first month of a new tank, or should i be worried? The water temperature is around 24C (75 Fahrenheit), and they dont give any signs of struggle.

Thanks in advance
    • TheKeeper
      By TheKeeper
      So I currently have a 6 gallon planted tank that has been set up and running for 3 weeks. Im about to purchase my red cherry shrimp to put in this tank. There is plenty of algae in the tank for them to eat, so food should be fine for the beginning correct? Plus it is heavily planted meaning there is plenty of organic matter to be consumed at all times, so they shouldn't really need to be fed ever? Also i see that drip acclimation is best for getting them used to there new home. If i did this till the tank is half empty for provided them with as close conditions as possible without emptying the tank. Am i good to just refill the tank afterward or from now on when i do water changes do they all need to be dripped in? Also is it true that adding calcium to the tank is beneficial for the shrimp to molt?
      Im a pretty experienced fish keeper, just haven't ever had with shrimp so I dont want to kill all these expensive shrimps due to lack on knowledge. Any more knowledge or advice that can be given to me is high encouraged, even if it seems simple. 
      Some specs of the tank, tanks does have a filter, that has small openings that could suck up baby shrimp. Its a small filter and has algae growth on the openings so it really does reduce the flow a bit, where i dont see it becoming a  huge issue. The tank is co2 injected, but thats pretty nailed down so nuking them with co2 is highly unlikely. The tank has a soil bottom capped with coarse sand. The vast majority of the bottom of the tank is carpeted with plants but they still have a way to go. There is no lid on the top of the tank. The tank does have some natural river stones in it with the brown algae growth on them. And a lot of the plants have the white "bugger" algae growing on them or around them. The tank receives about 10 hours of light a day. I know i put a lot of un-important information here, but maybe a pro will see a problem here and be able to inform me so I can correct it. Thanks for your time and consideration in advance!!!!
      Regards
      -The Keeper
    • TheKeeper
      By TheKeeper
      Ive done alot of research but let me explain my set up for you. I have a 6 gal tank that is approx 12 inch tall. It is a fertilized and currently has a DIY co2 on it, i did this by taking a 2 liter bottle and adding sugar and yeast, it is connected to a special co2 bubble (whatever they are called). The tank also has high lighting and is completely planted carpeted and bigger plants. Im about to be adding in my cherry shrimp and know that gassing them with co2 is possible at night. And im wanting to avoid this of course. Yet i dont want to spend alot of money upgrading my co2 system. The co2 bubblier is only 8-9 inchs from the water line. The majority of the bubbles reach the surface meaning not all the co2 is dissolving or there are other gasses present. Im wondering if I can get away with this co2 delivery system. Or what simple upgrades could be made so that it doesn't run at night? from what i understand it would be at night i would gas the shrimp? Also I do a 50% water change 1 if not 2 times a week. 

Options ive thought of-
      1. Instead of a 2 liter bottle maybe like a 12 oz bottle, scale back the yeast and sugar so there is less co2 being produced
      2. Releasing the pressure in the DIY bubblier before bed. so it would take maybe 4-6 hour for the pressure to build up again and start bubbling 
      3. Upgrading system (Dont want to do this really, but i though of it)

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• sdlTBfanUK
      As you say it may just be the light that makes them look a bit black, the ones I thought I saw were all on the sponges which are black. Simon
    • sdlTBfanUK
      I'm pretty sure all the different colours of neocaridina shrimp are easy to care for! The only problem with mixing colours is them cross breeding which will speed up the reverting to wild or brown shrimps if they do cross breed. I say speed up as in my oldest tank I got a group of red  cherries 5 years ago and never had any others and they are mainly brown (75%) now. I have a densely planted tank and have been very lazy so have not removed/culled any browns ones over the years so at this point it would be very difficult to correct this without emptying the tank and starting again!!! Best to keep on top of it as you go. I would start off with just the one colour and get some experience with those first and come back to other/mixing colours a bit further down the line? With just 5 shrimps to start with you shouldn't need any food so see how it goes with them for a while before buying any. There will be more than enough biofilm in the tank for so few shrimps. If it all takes off and goes well then the 'complete' I would think should be sufficient when you have lots of shrimps though you should feed less than they recommend always? You can also use blanched ORGANIC peas and spinach and other plants etc which you can find out about on here? If you are going to use the CO2 then you will certainly have more luck with the lesser the CO2 I'm sure! If you can leave the CO2 off for a few weeks, that is what I would do, as you will then know whether the plants even need it AND it will be one less thing to eliminate IF you do start having problems with the shrimps? Good luck with getting the shrimps this weekend, drip acclimate for a couple of hours and ending up with at least 3 times as much tank water to the quantity of water they came in when you start off (or more). Don't panic if you lose the odd one in the first few weeks either, I always expect that to happen as they have been through a lot, breeder to shop and then shop to your tank etc and are more fragile than fish. Simon
    • jayc
      Thank goodness. You don't want to mix PRL with CBS. It's so hard getting Pure Red Lines as it is.  Keep up the good work.
    • DEL 707
      Thanks again. Going to do a big water change tomorrow then see how I go. Shrimp wise, there is a maidenhead aquatics near me that sell neocardina, so I was just going to use them to get 5 or so, to quite litterally test the waters. I've ordered a drip kit to help with acclimitising, I'm also going to turn the CO2 off, then slowly turn it on after a day or 2, to see how they do. When it comes to neocardina, is their care the same across the board, or are certain "colours" harder to care for? Would love a mix or reds and blues. Also food wise, what do you recommend? I was just looking at Shrimp King Complete.  
    • DNTM_Shrimp_Breeders
      Yes, I can confirm that rock / pebble rock / gravel will cause the pH to raise over time.  My RODI water comes out as around 6.8 according to my pH meter.  And I did follow the manufacturer's suggestion to wait 5-6 minutes when measuring RODI water because of the low ion.  After adding it to the tank, the pH becomes 7.2 -> 7.4.  The highest that I've recorded in my journal is 7.6 but it never goes higher than that. Here is my shrimp's diet: On M-W-F, I feed Bacter AE + Shrimp Baby.  On T-TH-S, I feed Shrimp Dinner. And on Sunday, I feed Shrimp King Protein to increase shrimp production.  Water change is once a month because I have a ton of floating plants to keep Nitrate low. @sdlTBfanUK It's probably because of the low quality image so it makes some of the PRL babies' color turn black 😁 But there are no CBS at all in this shrimp tank