Nitrate test kits

revolutionhope

Hi all,

A test of 5 of my tanks returned zero using API nitrate test kit despite following instructions and shaking and smashing the heck out of bottle 2. *shrug*- I'm sick and tired of the API nitrate kit when I get zero results I never trust it anymore..

Wondering what other kits people recommend for reliability, ease of use, and accuracy. There is an old post here recommending salifert as it is accurate down to 0.2ppm just thought I'd ask if anyone has other recommendations before I purchase one.

[emoji173] [emoji111] [emoji444]
Will

I've heard great recommendations for the Sera test kits.

Have you dosed a tank with ammonia, then tested 24 hours later for nitrites and nitrates?

No i havent... but im wondering If i add cal aqua labs green to a water sample (it contains potassium nitrate I believe as it's active) the test kit should pick this up shouldn't it?

Dosing Cal Aqua Labs Green should show nitrates.

This may be a stupid question, but after shaking bottle #2 for 30+ seconds, did you cap the test tube and shake it for at least 1 minute, then wait 5 minutes for the results?

Should have been a minute I wasn't counting though. One of my tanks should have had a fair amount of nitrate in it and even without proper shaking I'd expect it to have at least had some visible shift towards orange but they're all plain yellow. You never know maybe the java ferns moss and algae in said tank was enough to keep nitrates at an undetectable level.

Do you find sera accurate at a low level@Zoidburg ?

Definitely possibly for plants to eat up all the nitrates.

I haven't personally used the Sera test kits, but have heard they are better than the API kits. I've also seen Nutrafin. Not sure how it compares to the other two.

For reference, the Sera pH test kit does measure a pH from 4.5 to 9.0 and is easier to read than API.

ph_211.jpg

• Like 1

Hm i like the idea of a pH kit that goes lower than 6 which API stops at ... im too lazy to calibrate my pH pen very often !

The Salifert nitrate test kit is good too.

It has a 'normal' range, and a low range capability in the one kit. 

Instructions are in the kit to perform the low range reading.

If I remember correctly, you read it from the side of the test vial and divide the result by 10 to get the low range Nitrate reading.

Very easy and accurate.

The Salifert nitrate test kit is good too.
It has a 'normal' range, and a low range capability in the one kit. 
Instructions are in the kit to perform the low range reading.
If I remember correctly, you read it from the side of the test vial and divide the result by 10 to get the low range Nitrate reading.
Very easy and accurate.

Yep but 1ml test size and have to use liquid reagent and powder for the test.
  • Like 1