Hikari Crab Cuisine - OK for neocaridina shrimp?

travellife

I picked up a packet of Hikari Crab Cuisine at the LFS and then noticed it contains copper sulfate.  I was thinking of feeding some to my neocaridina davidi var. orange until I noticed the copper sulfate in the ingredients.  Plus, I realize now Hikari also makes shrimp cuisine but I believe it also contains copper sulfate.  The only thing the shrimpettes have ever been fed is biofilm and Marineland Color Enhancing Flakes which supposedly does not contain copper according to the company.  Am I taking chances feeding the Hikari Crab Cuisine to them?  Or, is this the type of copper that is actually good for them in small amounts?

• travellife changed the title to Hikari Crab Cuisine - OK for neocaridina shrimp?

Hey@travellife: copper is an essential micro nutrient for all living creatures so far as i know in fact I believe copper is essential for the invertebrate circulatory system and is needed to circulate oxygen. Its role is somewhat analogous to the role that iron plays in our blood.

Others can give a better explanation no doubt but the short answer is that the copper in most fish foods and certainly in a quality product aimed at another crustacean will be perfectly harmless to your shrimp.

[emoji173] [emoji111] [emoji444]

Will

• Like 1

Don't be limited to feeding processed food only. There is a huge list of fresh foods that you can feed shrimp on SKFA.

• Like 1

<edit> - just wanted to add that I have been doing more reading into copper toxicity.

Copper like many metals is very difficult to get rid of in the body. That's why fish like tuna or salmon are said to be fish that are high risk of mercury toxicity. 

Copper builds up in the shrimp. So small amounts in their food that would be safe for one meal, will build up in shrimp. It might not harm them initially, but how will it affect them 6 months from now when copper is fed to them daily?  

One of the most common foods to avoid, for humans, when you are at risk of having high levels of copper toxicity is shellfish. Prawns, shrimp, lobsters are named as foods to avoid specifically. This proves that shrimp who are fed or exposed to copper cannot get rid of the metal from their bodies and it builds up.

The moral of the story I guess is, avoid feeding extra copper, no matter how small an amount as it builds up over time and does not get expelled from the shrimp easily. Add to this small amount from the food, there are potential sources coming from tap water (copper pipes), fertilisers, and trace amounts from other types of food even fresh veges can contain trace amounts. 

I know many people say they they feed Hikari crab/shrimp cuisine with no visible issues to the shrimp. But how long will that last?

If copper is indeed essential for shrimp, surely they will get the required trace amounts from another source. Why risk overdosing them in their daily diet?

Great responses, thank you very much.  I've decided not to use the Hikari.  This is a natural planted vase, no filtration, and I don't want to take any chances harming the shrimp.  Maybe in a full tank environment it's safer to use but the copper would still build up in the shrimp and could eventually prove fatal.  Definitely sounds like a food you wouldn't want to feed shrimp too often if at all.

I just called Marineland again to be doubly sure there is no copper whatsoever in their Color Enhancing Flakes.  They assured me there is not, it definitely isn't listed on the label.  So for now I'll continue using it for the shrimp since they seem to love it and it's readily available at local stores.  I do need to introduce another safe product for them to vary their diet.  I've been reading JayC's input on food, very informative.