Getting some nice blacks now

Baccus

After the trials and tribulations that I have had in the past with getting a black cherry shrimp colony happening I am over joyed to finally see my colony doing well and probably throwing close to 100% black babies. Instead of having to remove hundreds of brown/ chocolate/ red young ones from the tank now I am only having to cull the odd 1 or 2. Happy days.

There is still work to be done on them but its certainly getting closer to perfect. Its also good to know that it appears that Pacific Blue Eyes and whiptail catfish don't seem to eat or bother the shrimp.

P1150005_zps030mggt2.jpg

P1150008_zpsfw8awuut.jpg

P1150011_zpsw4dy1w7u.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Baccus said:

over joyed to finally see my colony doing well

And they are mighty fine looking Black shrimps you have there.

Thanks, they hopefully are going to keep their good deep colour since they have been bred in that tank and its not the substrate that is making them dark, since the tank has all sorts of bright colours in the substrate. I get really excited when ever I see another new black shrimplet getting about.

I noticed your substrate. It's different. 

Are those real snail shells? Don't they alter your carbonate hardness? I mean, a few shells can keep KH stable, but you seem to have quite a lot. I suppose, if it's working, don't fix it.

Yes there is a lot of MTS in the tank, if I had a way that I could be rid of them for good that didn't involve nuking the tank (and killing the nerites) or getting assassin snails (which all though I am  seeing them for sale I am sure are illegal here) then I would gladly dispose of the blighters.