Orange Neo breeding

Matuva

Hello,

I have some problems breeding my orange Neo. I have 2 tanks with about 10 orange in each. The first problem is that the female do not get berried very often.

Last time one did, it seems only 5 shrimplets hatched. That was 10 days ago, and now I can't see any.

In the other tank, a female get berried, but it seems no shrimplets have survived, and I'm losing some adults...

I have other tanks with carbon and cherries, with same parameters, and they are breeding like rabbits

Someone experienced such a problem and fixed it :question:

• 2 months later...

I'm playing with interbreeding blue varieties to see what patterns emerge. I've noticed that the blue dreams haven't grown as big, don't get berried as often and the babies don't survive as well compared to the black blues and the velvet blues in the same tank. Maybe the blue dreams have been culled to the point of being weak? I have noticed that the blue dreams seem to do better when I feed less often with a couple of days in a row every week without feeding.

Makes me think water quality effects shrimp pregnancy in highly culled lines more than food availability.

Most of the baby blue dream crosses I have now came from when I moved house and they were in a large esky packed with mosses and plants for about two to three weeks with no food added. Just lots of greenery to forage in :)

Introducing new genes might help too

Have you noticed any size difference between the females that breed often and those that don't?

And

Did you buy all the orange neos from one breeder and could they be from a small gene pool?

Yes, the orange Neo are coming from the same breeder. The first ones, I bought about 2 years ago. They start breeding almost fine in anther tank, low tech. The colony raised up to about 200 shrimps, may be more. They were easy breeding, same as red neo.

I had to move them, they continued breeding well in their new home, still in the same tank. Then, I start splitting the colony, about 50 for me, the rest to other friends.

All the others died. On the 50 I had, they start to die, one by one, slowly. I split again in 2 tanks. 10 in one, 10 in the other one.

In 1 tank, they continue dying... In the other, some shrimplets appeared,but a few.

I have now put all of them in 1 tank, the one where i could see shrimplets, and, hopefully, things seem to go better: I have around 16 left, and 3 females berried. They all look almost healthy in this one, and I have good hope to rebuild a colony now.