Sakura Red Cherry + Neon Yellow

Dimos

Hi everyone,

Take a look at the videos I uploaded. I was trying the macro adapters for my camera but its pretty hard to get sharp images, especially when subject is moving. The second video with the Neon Yellow looks sharper.

By the way, does the yellow seem like a male? I thought its a female because of the saddle, but now I see the belly is straight.

Dimos

Edited by Dimos

46 minutes ago, Dimos said:

By the way, does the yellow seem like a male?

I think it's a female.

Great videos!

I can definitely see a saddle on the red female! The yellow female looks like her saddle is smaller and it blends in, too...

An adult male would be smaller than an adult female, and the difference is pretty obvious, too! :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Zoidburg said:

Great videos!

I can definitely see a saddle on the red female! The yellow female looks like her saddle is smaller and it blends in, too...

An adult male would be smaller than an adult female, and the difference is pretty obvious, too! :)

Thanks! That's right, it is clear they are both female, I need to bring more males in the tank. The red one is slightly smaller than the yellow.

16 hours ago, Zoidburg said:

Great videos!

Any good sellers you can recommend for red cherries near the East Coast? I should probably post under the proper topic, but it seems like you know a lot. 

Grant Eder of Garden of Eder in Florida.

Fins n Things in Chicago?

Ambers Berries and Buds in North Carolina

Hahn Aquatics in  Massachusett.

There are some great west coast suppliers, too!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dimos said:

Han Aquatics

Looks like somewhere I would shop too, if I was in MA.

45 minutes ago, Zoidburg said:

I live on the west coast and have purchased from Han Aquatics! :) I didn't buy any shrimp, but was happy with my purchase!

That's nice! He has quite good prices for plants/cholla. I hope he offers local pick up.

7 hours ago, jayc said:

Looks like somewhere I would shop too, if I was in MA.

Yeah lots of nice things there. Although no Sakura Red Shrimp, and only juveniles...

It's actually better to purchase juveniles instead of adults.

Juvenile shrimp are going to be able to adapt to different water parameters better than adults, thus less deaths.

You might contact Han and see if he breeds the sakura or fire red shrimp? If not, bloody mary shrimp are a cool alternative! One has a clear body and a red shell, where-as the other one has a red body and clear shell. (although some may have shell coloration, too)

• Like 1

Actually, Bloody Mary are a different color. They come from the chocolate line, and if bred with cherries (preferably painteds), the offspring will also be red.

When it comes to any color of Neo shrimp, you will have to cull (remove from population) as a line could produce higher and lower grade colored shrimp. If you buy sakura, you will still get low grade cherries and maybe some fire reds.

Not to say you should do it, but just letting you know!

Edited by Zoidburg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Zoidburg said:

Actually, Bloody Mary are a different color. They come from the chocolate line, and if bred with cherries (preferably painteds), the offspring will also be red.

When it comes to any color of Neo shrimp, you will have to cull (remove from population) as a line could produce higher and lower grade colored shrimp. If you buy sakura, you will still get low grade cherries and maybe some fire reds.

hmmm now you make me reconsider with the Bloody Marys. Will I get some bloody marys and some sakura fire if Bloody marys and sakura fire mate?

You mean any color of Neocaridina, or any color of Neon Shrimp?

Neocaridina. Neo for short. Regardless of what color you choose, if you want to keep a line looking nice, then you need to cull the lesser desired colored shrimp. You could have a cull tank, sell the culls, put the culls in a community tank, etc.

I'm not sure what bloody mary x sakura might look like, I've only seen bloody mary x painted fire red. They're just red shrimp. The only downside to the BM line is that BM shrimp take longer to color up than regular red cherries, but they have a nice, translucent coloration to them.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Zoidburg said:

Neocaridina. Neo for short. Regardless of what color you choose, if you want to keep a line looking nice, then you need to cull the lesser desired colored shrimp. You could have a cull tank, sell the culls, put the culls in a community tank, etc.

I'm not sure what bloody mary x sakura might look like, I've only seen bloody mary x painted fire red. They're just red shrimp. The only downside to the BM line is that BM shrimp take longer to color up than regular red cherries, but they have a nice, translucent coloration to them.

That's nice!

OK, I just looked at the grade chart here:

I see that Sakura and Fire are different grades. The seller said Sakura Fire red, so does it mean it comes from Sakura and Fire parents? My shrimp look more like Fire and not like Sakura (They are fully colored). How about the blue velvet, or orange? Has anybody mixed with Fired red?

A fire red line is likely to throw sakura and low grade cherries... so perhaps they are saying that they are mostly sakura/fire colored?

One person said blue velvet x cherry resulted in wild colored, someone else said differently, but I don't remember what. Don't know about oranges.

A fire red line is likely to throw sakura and low grade cherries... so perhaps they are saying that they are mostly sakura/fire colored?

One person said blue velvet x cherry resulted in wild colored, someone else said differently, but I don't remember what. Don't know about oranges.

I really like the Bloody Mary, they look like glowing! Take a look at this seller on ebay:

http://stores.ebay.com/soshrimp/

He has free shipping (by adjusting the price for the shrimp) and is almost same price as buying directly from his website! Most of his shrimp require 5 days handling time though, so cannot wait!

Edited by Dimos
  • Like 1

I am between the Painted Fire Red and Bloody Mary. It is $15 cheaper to go for the Painted. Why the Bloody Marys are not in the chart, though?

4 hours ago, Dimos said:

I am between the Painted Fire Red and Bloody Mary. It is $15 cheaper to go for the Painted. Why the Bloody Marys are not in the chart, though?

They are. Bloody mary come from Chocolate lineage, so the are the red version on the right side of the chart, next to black.

Bloody mary are translucent and you can see the saddle on females.

Painteds are opaque, and as some say, appear "painted". It is difficult to see their saddles, if at all.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zoidburg said:

They are. Bloody mary come from Chocolate lineage, so the are the red version on the right side of the chart, next to black.

Bloody mary are translucent and you can see the saddle on females.

Painteds are opaque, and as some say, appear "painted". It is difficult to see their saddles, if at all.

Awesome! I think I will go for the painted fire red so that to have all same species and with the price difference I'll also get 5 blue velvets.

By the way, what's the current shrimp you have? And how many tanks?

They are all the same species. Unless DNA testing says otherwise, Painted Fires, Bloody Mary and Blue Velvets are the same species. They can, and will, breed together, and depending on genetics, you could wild colored offspring or something else. (as previously mentioned)

Currently, 3 tanks kind of up and running. Only two are stocked. Shrimp wise, cherry shrimp (mostly low to mid grades) and amanos. Trying to figure out how to raise amanos. Easier said than done...

• Like 1

They are all the same species. Unless DNA testing says otherwise, Painted Fires, Bloody Mary and Blue Velvets are the same species. They can, and will, breed together, and depending on genetics, you could wild colored offspring or something else. (as previously mentioned)

Currently, 3 tanks kind of up and running. Only two are stocked. Shrimp wise, cherry shrimp (mostly low to mid grades) and amanos. Trying to figure out how to raise amanos. Easier said than done...

Yes, I was just wondering about the color of the offsprings (if any). In the beginning I got a divider and tried to breed only same color (too optimistic) and then most of the shrimp died. Now I will just let them all together and see what happens. If I get any offsprings good.

So did you have success in breeding of RCS?