Bloody mary breeding colony

revolutionhope

Just some quick snaps of the adults who came out in force to feed on some high protein pellets. Really happy with the progress I've made.. I plan on moving these to a dedicated tank soon to increase the shrimplet survival rate as they were breeding much better when I kept them in more suitable parameters.

5176ceee6e4ce310cf8bd9c44629f040.jpg3a8adfd112b7bbd9810604ad0cdb2830.jpg0e8934b0cff2386935c2c1d2a44d578d.jpg3ef1b8ebdd722dca3e683f63cbfccbbf.jpg2293e4e19e176195bf540f24ac095040.jpg

• Like 1

904aa45d82df9745cab54ff1e0940e6a.jpg

Just noticed this - would this gap be certainly a genetic condition and should the shrimp be culled?

If I remember rightly there is a good post here somewhere that jayc put together showing defects and mutations but my searching skills are subpar today and I can't seem to find it!

[emoji173] [emoji111]
Will

That protruding shell doesn't look like one of the genetic deformity traits that I know of. It could be an injury. Keep an eye on it until the next moult. It might correct itself.

Have a look at some of these previous posts for genetic deformities.

Are these giant bloody mary? Or are theses CRS shrimplets? Big difference in size

I envy you, they are sooooo beautiful

Edited by Matuva
  • Like 1

Thanks for your compliment. I really love these cherries !! They're not giant but just mostly mature females. There's a lot more crs juvies around than there are bloody mary juvies so that's why they look so big :-)

The stud just made an appearance and I caught him... with a huge long string of a turd hanging out his bottom. Yuck!
[emoji12]

Still thought I'd share anyway. He's improved since I last had a chance to get a pic of him.65754bb5c2936290f9bc87990683961b.jpg29cc92434129ed33199f08f38cb441a9.jpg4ee6f7b8385bc7f34dc965b28c8a0e7b.jpg

• Like 2

Can anyone tell me if the white at the end of the rostrum might be fungus?

Edit- I got a picture showing the white/grey at the front of that male.

c2205562d9d27a8a065f17c7769bea3e.jpge2d6b28b93af690b7c157433abc90827.jpg

Apparently that boy isn't the best in there. I didn't realise there were two males like this but there are! The next one pictured is similar quality but for small gaps in the carapace.

aedaeb3dd2daee559909337321d9d0a0.jpg45b85a1083a0ac158db263c52c6f4ec0.jpg9cec623d141b8ff2c75b62095e7785e9.jpg

Any tips, encouragement or otherwise is welcome :-)

[emoji173] [emoji111]

Will

The small gaps look like the male needs to molt.

As far as the "fungus" stuff, try a salt bath dip. It could be parasites (vorticella or scuteriella ?) and they'll fall off with a salt bath. Fenbendazole, No Planaria and Planaria Zero may also kill them, however, if you treat the tank, it has the potential to kill any snails that might be living in the tank. (some snails for sure! others? particularly pest snails, they're more hardy...)

• Like 1

Is these really Bloody Mary? What I learned is that B M has red tissue/muscle. It looks as these have red shell. Or am I mistaken?

beautiful shrimp anyway ?

• Like 1

Hi@AquaLars these are most certainly bloody mary shrimp :-)

They are derived from the chocolate/dark variant of wild cherry. Depending on the lighting it is possible to see that the colour shows from more depth than the red cherries.. (despite being a darker hue of course as well)

[emoji173] [emoji111] [emoji444]
Will

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

6743715c727ca0c1dc9276e7ad165520.jpg

I cant help myself have to share. I just llove this colour! Her body is nice but the legs are a bit lacking. Eagerly watching the next generation mature now :-)

Will

• Like 2

Very nice. Love that colour also.

Thanks@madmerv !

I was talking to the breeder -@gbang whom I got this line from originally and he was considering crossing his back to chocolates or maybe it was black cherries he said; to obtain a darker hue.

I've noticed they can range from very bright red just like a nice red cherry right through to a deep dark reddish brown colour but ive decided this particular one is what I am going to aim for this year.

Will
  • Like 2

Jealous @revolutionhope. I've managed to breed my reds back to almost native clear. My cull tank is now full and my show tank is almost empty with a big reset. My culling will be bi-weekly now and a lot more attention will be paid to the small males.. Lol 

• Like 1

Sadly my BM group were eaten by a Fighter Fish put into my tank without me knowing, I have none left, so now I'm in the planning stages of doing a small nano to house some more BM.

• 1 month later...

Colony has been going very well and so I thought I'd post an update.

I noticed today that one in the cull tank has white eyes! Freaky ...

I will be giving away a small starter pack of these shrimp in a RAOK for subscribing members in the next few weeks so if you've been procrastinating renewing or subscribing for the first time now is the time to get onto it :-)

If anyone in Australia is interested in buying some directly feel free to PM me also and note also I give them for a better price to premium (and above) members.

Hope you like the pix!

Willade268dc2da787c60e6322ee531c6ffe.jpg1496a8cb67122907933ac9e6caf9e31f.jpg4eda28bb5433961b966231f28ba60805.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...

Hi all, 

I am a constant lurker of old threads here it seems. Has anyone had success with crossing BM’s w/black with the goal of stabilising a darker line?