Sign in to follow this  
Heavyd

Bleach for Söchting oxidizer, questions??

Heavyd

I just ordered two oxidisers from Dean. Is there any reason why I cant use the 6% Bleach that you can buy from a chemist. Works out a lot cheaper than the 35% food grade stuff. Also, I believe there is an option for bleach from hydroponics stores that I've just started looking up. Reasons/suggestions??

Heavyd

Well I've been trawling the web looking for a cheaper alternative, and came across this place:

http://barringtonriverorganicfarm.com.au/products.html

I contacted them and placed an order. They are almost half the price of the other place recommended and shipping is $11 next day. I'll tell you how it goes with the delivery.

Dean

no you can not use anything else as a substitute! this is the one thing the manufacturer has made very clear.

the stabilizers and binding agents in all other products are not allowed.

i have now changed all the links on my site to the link you found for us.

great find mate.

durro68

Really good find there!!!!!

Heavyd

Hehe no problem. Happy to be of service to my wallet and everyone else's lol

Heavyd

Just an update. The package arrived the next day as promised. First oxidiser in the tank, so far so good.

Dean

good to here mate.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

Join Our Community!

• Blue Ridge
      If it makes you feel any better, what you've done happens all the time! Acid-buffering substrate with a CACO3 stone that "fight" one another, and conflicting information between the two genera of shrimp can cause a lot of confusion. But where you are right now should be a perfect environment for crystals, bees, and such. Aqua soil, remineralized RO water (GH+ only, not the KH and GH product) and you should be all set for most Caridina. If buying shrimp online, just be sure that they are "home bred" and not imports. Survival rate is typically much higher this way. I prefer to buy from other hobbyists whenever possible. If you really want cherries (Neocaridina) they will live on Aqua Soil but the water will always be softer and more acidic than ideal. But cherries are tough creatures and people keep them in tanks set up for Caridina all the time with success. As for how long the substrate buffers, that is determined by how much "work" it has to do. If using soft water and no lime based stones in the aquarium, it is said go for many years. You don't want to speed that up in my opinion, kind of defeats the purpose of buying buffering soil.
    • Steensj2004
      How low does this substrate buffer, inknownit isn’t an exact science, but has anyone had experience? The PH has parked at 6.4-6.5. 
    • jayc
      Hah! LOL, how did I know. If I was going to put a bet on one or the other, it would be the rocks from Phillip Island ... from the beach. How to test? do the vinegar test. Take out a bit of gravel, and a small stone. drop some vinegar on them to see if you get a reaction. Alternate test is to put them in a cup of water. Test the water GH and KH before adding, then test again after a few hours to see if KH and GH have increased.
    • Crabclaw
      ahh shoot. gravel was washed about 20 times thru, and rocks were boiled. gravel was sold as aquarium safe gravel, but the rocks were from phillip island, along the beach... how could i just test 1 or 2 to see if that's why? (they're all the same type, but i have a few big ones that r heavy and a bunch of small ones that i can test with)
    • jayc
      That means you have something else in the tank that is leeching carbonates - like a rock, or gravel or shell grit.