Alternatives to Indian almond leaves.

Zebra

So I thought this would be a good spot to post this.

Im looking for alternatives to dry IAL leaves that have the same benefits as far as antibacterial/ antifungal properties, A stable food scource for shrimp and micro-organisms and ph lowering etc. particularly from native trees. Going to add to the list as people recommend others. Also any great places to buy Indian almond leaf.

Im just looking for dry leaves. 

So far I've tried:

Pinnapple guava.

Cherry Quava.

Native alder cones  (Aldus glutinosa)

Banksia.

Eucalyptus.

But none have quite darkened my water like IAL. Need something for my Bettas with the same effect.

Also any link to pollution on leaves and how we deal with or avoid it (other then obviously collecting from a forest far from civilisation,) 

Hearing of people growing their own trees or just collecting in suburbia etc and it's fine, what's the story there?

Edited by Zebra
  • Like 1

Apple lead is *excellent* as a food. It becomes accessible quite quickly. I haven't accurately compared it (in terms of leaf maturity) with mulberry yet though but plan on doing this soon.

Unfortunately I don't know anything about its properties though.

I've found guava, peach, nectarine and locquat leaves hang around for weeks slowly getting eaten and taking longer to break down. I also tested grape leavea and these were somewhere in between in terms of accessibility and preference for shrimp to eat.

Looking forward to others sharing more experience. Thanks for starting the thread!

[emoji173] [emoji111]
Will

• Like 1

Thanks, I'll have to try some locquat leaves next, we have tons of trees down here, most people don't even know the fruit is edible lol

@coryjames does it have all the same effects as IAL?

cause oak is easy to find,