Chihiros shrimp doctor

Zebra

So after messing around with making a diy steriliser, I have calculated by the time I get a digital timer to run the minute incriments required for an aquarium steriliser to work well, I'll be at around $50 or so anyway and for the sake of my own valuable time, and knowing it's a renouned trusted product being used in my tanks, for this price I just bought the chihiros shrimp doctor- I really shouldn't have, now I'm broke again haha.

I got this to try to further inhibit algae (I don't really need to) but mostly to help my Ottos in the 4ft build I finished recently.

I made payment to Hinterfeld.com.au (australias authorised chihiros dealer) 1am this morning, so it should be here this week.

Stay tuned for the review. 

Will do, should be unboxing it tomorrow if it gets here on time.

Just for the record I don't have issues with algae or anything I'm just trying to improve breeding conditions.

Edited by Zebra

Arrived today,

Very well packed, neat little unit.

Easy to understand instructions with 3 modes for different tank sizes.

Could have asked for a little bit more chord between the controller and unit itself but that's ok.

They are supposed to increase survival rates for baby shrimp so we will see how it goes.

I keep my tanks well balanced so don't really have issues with algae, other then like gsa on wood which my shrimp and otos love.

IMG_1426.JPG

IMG_1428.JPG

IMG_1433.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

I've stopped dosing NPK for the last 2 weeks to see truly how well this does combat algae- 

And I have to say only a very small bit of GSA on the wood and glass. But no other algaes which as a planted tank nut I think this product is amazing.

Disclaimer: there's Half a dozen or so otos in that tank, but I keep them well fed so doubt they're doing all the cleaning- I think this shrimp doctor is just preventing new algae spores from growing like.

very cool. More pics coming soon.

• 3 months later...

Ok so only a few weeks after purchasing, the unit stopped working, since then it's been a hellish nightmare to claim a new unit under warranty and the customer service at hinterfeld.com.au is very poor.

To start after only a few weeks of operating the unit this customer service agent  told me that I'd had the unit for quite awhile basically saying is had a good run.

They have fought me all the way and I'm sure they still refuse to actually replace the unit, they have so far sent out a new power supply and even with that the shrimp doctor still doesn't work.

I once again requested either a new full product replacement or refund of my money.

Its June now just to put in perspective it's taken them over 4 months to even try to resolve this issue. 

My shrimp doctor has always been connected to a surge protected power board like all my shrimp/ fish equipment.

After sending another literally 45 emails this month alone, today they finally get back to me again saying they have sent a new device and it should be here in a week,- No where near good enough, and they failed to read my original emails with video proof of the product not working etc, I'll leave it at:

This is most likely a one off bad product in an otherwise good range made by chihiros, But the poor customer service I have recieved and the shear time it's taken to resolve the issue with once again, An Australian based company. 

(mods delete if not allowed" as this isn't really about the product itself)

That's why I haven't updated this.

cheers

Edited by Zebra

Don't see why it needs to be deleted.

I just hope your experiences with the replacement is better. In any case, keep us updated.

• Like 1

So it took them like more then a week to send something literally across the bay from Melbourne, unbelievable.

I get inside and flip it over to open it and find this.

Not even going to bother to open it, the box looks like it was stepped on, I think I can even see footprint from shoe grip, far out, expected no better from Aus post but still very dissapointing.

Taking it back to Aust post tomorrow marked "return to sender" 

Then I'm Just starting a case with both PayPal and the ACCC consumer affairs Australia, under the fair trades act.

So Far the company has displayed very little to no concern for their customer satisfaction.

And personally I would really avoid the drama of having to deal with them in the future if at all possible by not spending my money at Hinterfeld.com.au. 

IMG_3228.JPG

This is not the first time i have heard complaints about Hinterfield's customer service. Unfortunately aussie customers are pretty limited in the number of companies we can get products from, compared to other countries, and some times you have to deal with the devil or take your chances with an overseas order.

Good luck with this next chapter in the saga.

• Like 1

Haha for sure,

Its kind of a shame cause I'm sure this is a once off bad product in an otherwise good line by chihiros. I have some chihiros led lights and I'm very happy with them especially for the price.

Yeah Your right I guess it says a lot more about the supplier (or even the individual customer service agent) rather then the actual product.

Edited by Zebra

I saw the Chihiros doctor when I was looking at this product a few years back but went for the twinstar instead. I also had an issue with one of the connections and called the agent and had a replacement the next day. Sometimes it's better to spend the few dollars more than deal with the headache down the track.
But as for its ability to inhibit algae I can safely say it grew the best looking hair algae on the reactor was almost a shame to remove it[emoji23]
Hope you have better luck this time round

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Haha the chihiros was my "spend a few dollars more" as oppose to a diy model I made lol. I wouldn't have been able to afford the twinstar, when I looked at them they were around $350 or something, compared to $70 for the shrimp doctor, and I figure electrolosys is electrosys, when I made my own I realised the only money in them is buying high quality stainless steel wire, as most standard copper etc electronic components corode within seconds underwater as soon a second a current is applied.

But yeah there's definitely something to be said for good customer service.

Interested to see how they compare in function though.

I sent back that package today as it was, all busted and stepped on looking lol.

About to email them again to request either a full new unit or full refund, so we'll see what happens.

I guess this is a good opportunity to point out some rights we have under Australian consumer law, surrounding ANY product sold within Australia. 

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/consumer-guarantees

Repair, replace OR refund.

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/repair-replace-refund

You often hear people complain about it as if it's not cool or "conformative" but tbh I think we are heaps lucky and I love living in a country that so highly values consumerism.

Edited by Zebra

• 2 weeks later...

Went backreturn to sender, still not even an email from hinterfeld.com.au

it's a shame I wanted to buy more of these eventually, but not from this supplier.

I've found them cheaper on different websites anyway so that's cool. 

Hinterfeld.com.au have now offered to send out a full replacement which is great news, The person sending emails now seems a lot more cooperative so maybe it's a different person, either way I'm happy enough with the service now they are sending a full replacement.

Ill update again when it's in my tank running :) 

I have started getting a bit of bba and hair algae which is becoming annoying, but this is probably more to do with being slack on my fert regime due to being busy with other things like new shrimp and snails,

Would be interesting to maintain my current regime and see if the shrimp doc alone kills the algae lol I'm doubting it though.

The co2 levels have been rediculously stable since I built the proper co2 reactor, so that's one less cause now.

Just some extra info on electrolosys, most of this is about the twinstar but electrolosys is electrolosys.

I don't know how real this next test is:

My replacement arrived today, original purchase was in January haha but better late then never, 

To be fair once I started communicating with the second customer service rep they arranged a full replacement quite fast.

IMG_4083.JPG

More then anything I'll be using this to increase DO to hopefully up my baby survival rates when I start breeding shrimp in this tank, has been rescaped  a bit and some wood thinned out, Kinda waiting for more plants now to re plant it one more time.

Ive got 2 sotching oxydators coming from the new breed aquatics closing down sale for other tanks so I'll have all the oxygen now lol.

Edited by Zebra

I recieved the replacement today, But it also does not work, have these products even been tested? 
The light on the power supply is on showing power to the unit, but the unit will not operate. 
This is beyond frustrating, If you refuse to send a brand new tested replacement I'll have to push forward with retrieving a refund under my rights as a consumer.

Now they are saying it's not working cause my tds is too high, lol.

The indicator on the power supply is on but the device doesn't work. 

Ive just asked for a refund now, I don't even care anymore, all this crap is going in the bin and I've bought another from a company that's not a total rip off.

Hinterfeld can get F**ked, Seven months of emails and BS. For the sake of like $70, epitome of a nightmare online transaction. I'm pretty sure they are good products, that must be getting sold used or repackage or something, there was major wear marks on the power connections.

Im doubting I'll get a refund though I have asked before actually starting a case with the ACCC. 

Over this one, I'll start a new thread about the shrimp doctor I got from another company. 

They did a say they would refund my money, but now they are trying to say cause I've used it for 6months they can only refund half back to my hinterfeld account- these people are total rip offs. After many times explaining it hasn't worked since January and it has been their company stalling and delaying for 7 months now instead of just refunding my money through PayPal. But after all that apparently I've been using it the last 6months some magical how???

Long story short, don't buy from these people try are total con artists and poor customer service/ product quality.

Probably just open a case with ACCC as they are not honestly trying to resolve the problem.

Like am I being a prick about this or something? Or is it that it's just way more then anyone should have to deal with buying from a company?

Anyway, I sent a ton of emails about it yesterday, and today they refunded the full amount back to my PayPal, See guys, I know your time is worth money but for the sake of like 100 emails (becoming not worth it as they really fought me all the way for 7 months) I got my lousy $76 back. And for the sake of $76 they rather have their company name dragged through the dirt with good cause then just resolve the problem in the beginning.

Anyway it's done now, if anyone ever has an issue with my products this is a firm reminder to just replace the product then if that doesn't work refund the persons money. This is a hobby and we generally buy things I guess to make us feel good, most sales I'm sure come from chasing that sensation of walking into the lfs for the first time and getting your first tank, it's like a drug lol. And if the products you buy don't work it's pretty sad.

Well this thread is done, got a new shrimp doctor coming from another company so I'll just start a new thread about the actual product as this one didn't work lol.

Edited by Zebra

It's like my only talent lol. Being Relentless with refunds on faulty products haha. 

43 minutes ago, Zebra said:

got a new shrimp doctor coming from another company so I'll just start a new thread

Looking forward to that. It's not another Chihiros is it? Hope not.

• Like 1

Haha yeah it s but not from hinterfeld, if there's issues with this one I'll chalk it up to the brand chihiros, but idk I have many of their lights, they all seem quite good. 

See how it goes.