Hi from Adelaide, SA

KFenk

Hello shrimp enthusiasts :)

I'm not new to shrimp but I havnt kept any for probably a year.

I used to keep: Red Cherry Shrimp, Crystal Red Shrimp (low grade, just to give them a try), Darwin Algae Shrimp, Darwin Red Nose Shrimp and some local caught random shrimps.

I lost almost everything bar some cherries and a few DAS during a heatwave and it kinda put me off for a while. I was quite devastated :(

Anyways I'm looking to get back into shrimp again so I thought I'd join up here and see if I can learn anything new :) At least now if I decide to have a decent size setup ill have to invest in a chiller. I'm not going through that again :(

Are there many other South Aussies on this forum? I'd like to know how others cope with SA Water. I know RO units usually fix most water problems but I havnt got one just yet

Welcome to SKF and enjoy. What sort of shrimp are you looking to get this time around?

Hey mate' date=' welcome to SKF . About the sa water, i use my own rainwater [/quote']

Iv always been a bit worried about rainwater and potential nasties. Do you treat your water? Because I have a rainwater tank if its that easy :)

Oh and I'm only looking to start back with cherries for now. But if I can I would like yellow cherries. Otherwise ill just go with reds... Thinkin mite also make an order with Aquagreen. Grew quite fond of my Darwin Red Nose Shrimp when I had them. Cute little helicopters hovering around the tank :)

Hi Kfenk

never really had any issues with Adelaide water as long as you age it for a few days before pumping it into your tank, i also use prime just after filling the aging barrel just in case.

kept CRS since first available in Aus, started off with 10 and bought maybe another 10 in that time and now have 250-300 so they also breed ok in the water too.

very rarely any losses also and have never run a chiller on my CRS tanks, but do have fans blowing across the top of the water...

hi kfenk im down sth i bought and connected a pura tap system to my mains water in to my shed were my fish/shrimp room is it has a .5 micron filter on it fish and shrimp love it strate out the tap .havent had any problems with death or disease .cost of system was 160 i recon thats with bits from mitre 10 .u could connect it to ure tap then onto a hose to fill up tanks .with this weather in sa put ure shrimpm tank on the bottomk rack lowest to the ground or on ground they can handle 18 degrees they recon .i havent tryd that temp yet mine are at 25 had them at 28 they did not like it now at 25 they are breeding niceloym they are cherry reds and low grade crystal blacks . anuff ranting welcome to the forum