My shrimp story and questions. Sorry.

Neddy

Hey guys, I'm an ultimate noob with shrimp. I started around two months ago with 12 cherry shrimp, I've recently got another 12. I've lost 2 in total so far that I know of and I've been told that's not so bad. I also have 3 guppies in the tank (which I'm looking to find a home for).

So my set up is a 10L(I think) tank which i had from my betta breeding days, a small heater (set at 25 degrees) and a small sponge filter. My light is a LED desk lamp, I don't have any plants other then java moss and it as remained alive so far.

I've been told this set up is good for what I've got and RCS are quite hardy so they'll be fine(which they are).

I do a 40% water change weekly.

I've had a berried female which was exciting, she dropped her eggs the other night although I'm unsure where or if the guppies have got to them(reason why they need a new home).

I can't afford a chiller and I wouldn't be allowed to get one anyway(missus said I need to do this on a tight budget). So, with that, my questions are.

If I was to get rid of the guppies how many shrimp would I be able to safely keep in the tank?

Are there any other shrimp that are as durable as the RCS that I can keep in there too(with out the need of a chiller)? If so, what kind?

What do I need to do that is a major issue with my current set up?

Please keep in mind I don't have a lot of money to spend.

Your help is much appreciated and many thanks in advance.

Sorry my post might not look awesome, I'm on an iPhone.

I will also try get some pics.

Ned.

Hi Ned,

Advise No. 1, find the guppies a new home PRONTO.

10 lt isn't a easy way to start the shrimp hobby, due to the fluctuation of WP...etc. A 40% WC per week is also quite drastic...would rather see 2 x 20% per week.. Cherries is def better suited for that tank, rather then CRS's etc. Try to keep the tank in the coolest spot possible.

Also consider putting a air stone in there....

Hope this helps..

Measured it up, and worked it out, its 14L actually, i guess 4 litres wouldnt make a difference tho. Flactuation of WP?

Ok i can change to 2x20% water changes a week and get an air stone during the week and move the tank to the garage.

Would yellow cherries be suited as well? Id like to keep some of those.

Does anyone want 3 free guppies, pick up sans souci, otherwise they'll probably end up at the local store as oscar food.

Here are some images, i plan to add more hiding places soon.

tank1.jpgshrimpcolours1.jpgtank3.jpgshrimp1.jpgberried1.jpg

Thank you,

Ned.

Thanks for the pic Ned...very nice. Yep, any cherries are OK in there. I keep a tank in my sons room, so that he also uses it as a night light.....on at 3pm (before he comes back from school), and off at 10pm (when he should be fast asleep). Unsure on tanks in garages...air pollution, insecticides.... ?

The garage is only for storage space so i think it should be good. Its the coolest place in the house so they'd like it there. Sorry if you've seen these questions before and ive annoyed you, but thank you for your help. It has been much appreciated.

If anyone else has anything to add, tips, advice on my situation, please feel free. Im into the whole "constructive criticism" thing.

If I was to get rid of the guppies how many shrimp would I be able to safely keep in the tank?
I would say quite a few! 20 RCS in there would still be OK IMHO.
Are there any other shrimp that are as durable as the RCS that I can keep in there too(with out the need of a chiller)?
Yellow Cherries. Bascially, the Cherrys are much hardier than crystals. Yellow cherries are quite expensive though. I would stick with Reds for now.With such a small tank though, you run the risk of water fluctuations, (temp, nitrates) and theres probably a very slim chance that you can successfully breed/raise shrimplets with those guppies hovering around. If you were closer to my place, I would have offered to swap them for Red cherries; but at the moment, i've been really busy with work and can't really travel.

hey bud just wondering what substrate is that?? perhaps put some driftwood in there.. i found that my cherries were really happy with the water slightly tannin-d up.

definately more air, and i think by tieing that moss down a lil bit you'll create more room for bambinos to hide and feed...

ps kill the guppies and feed them back to the shrimp! :)

You're about to get a whole lot more Guppies, That female is pregnant. They can easily drop 40+ fry.

I think 20 RCS in a 10ltr and you're all good. The 10 you have when in tank alone will multiply in no time so wouldn't really bother getting more.

40% is a massive WC as stated above, I find 10% weekly for RCS is fine.

Local "Ghost Shrimp" aka Glass Shrimp are pretty hardy. I've had mine with RCS for 12+ months and are still kicking strong. I've even used a couple to cycle a tank and they survived the cycle process and are still kickin around.

For now I'd stick with the RCS and get some Glass Shrimp if you can and learn with them for awhile before getting anything more fancy. They're far more forgiving and are very good to learn with.