Fishmosy's Cardinal tank

fishmosy

Always wanted sulawesi shrimp and snails since they first appeared in PFK magazine (from memory) back in the mid 2008. Today I got realised a bit of that dream with the arrival of some juvie cardinals - thanks to @JPN07

After acclimating them over a couple of hours they went into the tank and within seconds they had coloured up and were feeding away. 

It might just be because they are new, but these shrimp are really fascinating to watch. Cant wait until they get bigger. 

Excuse the dirty glass. image.jpegimage.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by fishmosy
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Cardinals are lovely, I wish I could have some but I think I'll need to stick with the "easy" shrimp for now.

They look so much like the marine Blood Red Fire Shrimp, I wonder if some where along the line the fresh water Cardinals are descendents of the Blood Red Fires.

• Like 1

Possibly, current thinking is that the lake sulawesi shrimp evolved from marine ancestors when the islands rose and formed the lakes. 

• 1 month later...

My cardinals have bred. Pretty chuffed as I thought it would take them a bit longer. 

The adults are highly cryptic, hopefully these new bubs will be less inclined to hide away. 

image.jpeg

• Like 3

Not sure. Thats the first I've seen so far. I only ever see the adults in ones or twos, yet there are at least 7 in the tank. There are lots of places in the tank to hide out of sight.