gday! from WA

bigjohnnofish

hi everybody... i have been keeping plecos for quite a while now and have found shrimp to be nice dither "fish" so to speak loosely.... they mix well with majority of plecos but occasionally they do get eaten... well mainly the tiny shrimpets... some survive to grow up and continue the breeding... cherry shrimp are the preferred pleco pal option as they are so plentiful and breed like rabbits....

although now im becoming more interested in shrimp... and recently aquired crs and cbs and the blacks already breeding :)

looking forward to finding out a bit more about shrimp in general and whats available at a reasonable price....

like to learn a bit more about which species can interbreed and which ones dont... and how well shrimp respond to line breeding as is done with fish....

lots of questions to ask but i better do some reading first as im sure the majority of newbie questions i have are answered in previous threads...:onthego:

Welcome aboard to SKF bigjohnnofish..You'll forage over this forum for many many many hours..Enjoy...

Welcome, interested in seeing your shrimp and checking out how you breed them and stuff.

Hey mate, welcome to SKF. My cherries are breeding more in my peppermint tank than in the tank I set up specifically for them! Maybe plecos are the best dithers for shrimp LOL. Do you still have your royal whiptails?

thanks for all the friendly gday's,hi's hello's....

perhaps plecos do make good dither fish for shrimp... shrimp definitely feel the need to breed in their presence... i have noticed that as well...

yes still have plenty of royal whiptails... i usually have one in every dedicated shrimp tank as a glass cleaner... 99% sure they dont eat the shrimpets either.... and im a lazy glass cleaner so it all works out well... just dropped 10 yellow cherries in with zeb colony to see if they'd eat them and so far i have spotted 8 or 9 at any one time... and also 2 females berried up with eggs... from when you first see them with eggs how long till mum drops shrimpets? on average... so , so far it seems like a good mix of yellows/zebs...

welcome bigjohnnofish :)

I am also a west aussie! but have not started a shrimp tank yet but hopefully I will be shortly

well i need some more shrimp and shrimp info... so i figure this is the place to be :) how long untill i can mainstream it and check out some serious shrimp posts... not used to being a noob!!! :)

Welcome to the forum mate, If the cherries are berried I beleive the answer is around the 27 day mark (give or take a day or 2 apparently) :)