Bio sponge filters

revolutionhope

I'm interested in using these in the near future and I'd love to hear from people who use them. They seem like a great idea and I've noticed they are quite popular overseas already.

Can anyone recommend a specific brand versus others? Also curious if there are any drawbacks to using them.

I've always used a canister plus air-driven sponge in my aquariums and that works a treat but during power outages (had a big one last week here in South Australia) canisters can be disastrous if they are left closed too long and become anaerobic.

[emoji111] [emoji173]

Will

They are a great idea.

If you are going to run a sponge filter in the tank, then one of these will provide more surface area for beneficial bacteria over a normal sponge filter.

There is only one brand that I am aware of = Biospon.

There might be other no name imitations around though.

No drawback that I am aware of.

I wonder if @Disciple can arrange a group buy for us from Singapore? 

Edited by jayc
  • Like 1

I was fortunate to get on board with @jc12 for a group buy from Korea. @jc12 was great to deal with, he may be able to supply his contact to the next willing member for another group buy. I have six BioSPON BS-58L Filters from this group buy, I did change the suction cups as the ones that came with the filters didn't maintain their suction in my tanks, may be fine for others. 

• Like 1

On 2/10/2016 at 9:52 PM, zn30 said:

I did change the suction cups as the ones that came with the filters didn't maintain their suction in my tanks, may be fine for others. 

I have the same issue with the suction cups but it usually happens after the discus had a tiff and got a bit boisterous so I thought they must have knocked it off.

• Like 1

Hey @jayc

The shops here sell them at $40 sg each with is basically $40 aussie. If I were to ship post it from here it would not be cost effective at all. I left some kids here once and it cost me $60 to get posted to Perth.

You are better off getting a group buy can ordering directly from the korean maker.

13 minutes ago, Kaylenna said:

I'm confused... are the ones you guys are talking significantly different than the ones Aquakitz now sells??

Also as @Kaylenna has mentioned @aquakitz is selling something very similar to the Biospon at about a 3rd of the price.

Actually... he appears to have 2 versions now.  The one called BioSpons and another which looks like a cheaper option - Qanvee?.

I'd love to try one, but the cheaper is a buy 10 deal and I don't HAVE 10 tanks!  (nor would I be allowed to, I think... unless we got a bigger house) 

If some else in Melbourne wants to split some with me, let me know.

Biospon seems to be working well for me :) Yeah the suction cup came off the tank one time for me, but I was 90% sure that was because I accidentally yanked the airline tube. I put one of them in a tank as an emergency filter, and I replaced some of the media it comes with with some cycled matrix media from another tank -  it worked really well and I had no issues. So I like that you can do that. The magnetically-detachable sponge/media housing is great for ease of cleaning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kaylenna said:

I'm confused... are the ones you guys are talking significantly different than the ones Aquakitz now sells??

@Kaylenna see pics of what the last group buy bought.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

There are a few differences. In my opinion, the most important feature that is lacking in the Qanvee is that the sponges are not magnetically detachable. This is important for me as I remove and squeeze clean the sponges for the discus tanks very often.

Qanvee does not come with media, which is not an issue for me as I do not use the BioSpon filter media that comes with it anyway.

I am not sure about the Qanvee, but I find the materials, build quality and the sponges of the BioSpon to be of very high quality compared to typical sponge filters.

So... without the magnetically detachable feature, the Qanvee essentially is just like any other sponge filters on the market, which are generally not known to be great mechanical filters. They are more superior as a biological filter.

Personally, I would either buy a BioSpon (pay a premium) for its features, convenience and superior quality or buy a normal $5 sponge filter which provides good biological filtration.

Just my two cents. :)

• Like 1

Actually... he appears to have 2 versions now.  The one called BioSpons and another which looks like a cheaper option - Qanvee?.

I'd love to try one, but the cheaper is a buy 10 deal and I don't HAVE 10 tanks!  (nor would I be allowed to, I think... unless we got a bigger house) 

If some else in Melbourne wants to split some with me, let me know.

I am happy to share the BioSpon manufacturer's contact if you can find enough people to take 28 BioSpon filters (2 cartons). I am just too busy with baby duties to help organise another group buy now.

Perhaps ask around or start a group buy thread... I have a feeling there might be a few people out there that would like to get some BioSpon filters but lack the numbers to do a group buy.

What did your groupbuy for the Biospon 58L cost in the end including local shipping?

Aquakits is selling it for $59.90 + $10 shipping = $69.90 all up.

4 hours ago, jayc said:

What did your groupbuy for the Biospon 58L cost in the end including local shipping?

Aquakits is selling it for $59.90 + $10 shipping = $69.90 all up.

The filter cost around $38 each landed. I sent 6 filters via Auspost to Victoria for around $28. It would cost less to ship 1 filter... say $15 for a 3kg express post bag. So group buy is quite a lot cheaper.

The other buyers either picked up from me locally in Brisbane or I delivered them. @Disciple had international hand carried courier all the way to Singapore. Haha.

Edited by jc12
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, jc12 said:

The filter cost around $38 each landed. I sent 6 filters via Auspost to Victoria for around $28. It would cost less to ship 1 filter... say $15 for a 3kg express post bag. So group buy is quite a lot cheaper.

The other buyers either picked up from me locally in Brisbane or I delivered them. @Disciple had international hand carried courier all the way to Singapore. Haha.

Yep As @jc12 stats mine ended up costing $42.00 each delivered to Victoria $38.00 ea if I drove up to Brisbane and picked them up, yeh I took the mailing option.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, zn30 said:

I took the mailing option.

Next time take the driveto pickup from jc12 option.

You missed out on raiding his shrimp collection !!

At least you might have been able to buy some of jc12.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jayc said:

Next time take the driveto pickup from jc12 option.

You missed out on raiding his shrimp collection !!

At least you might have been able to buy some of jc12.

Did drive thru often however a lot less these days, your right meeting jc12 would be great, maybe one day. Although I have a lower end of shrimp in my collection, I'm not really in the market for more, maybe one day. I'll stick with my cichlids and catfish and my big friendly Saratoga who is housed in one of the lesser tanks 8x2x2.

16 hours ago, zn30 said:

I'll stick with my cichlids and catfish and my big friendly Saratoga who is housed in one of the lesser tanks 8x2x2.

I do breed blue rams and discus. Just saying... haha... but imagine a fully planted 8x2x2 with CRS!!! :)

• Like 1

I do breed blue rams and discus. Just saying... haha... but imagine a fully planted 8x2x2 with CRS!!! :)

Doesn't everyone keep their shrimp colonies in 8x2x2 tanks ?
  • Like 2