Just an idea for newbies

endlerboy

Hi all and welcome.... I was a newbie and got down by not seeing the whole forum but i paid my $12.50 and now i see everything... I do know what the newbies are on about as it is like looking at a steak in a shop window with a fork in hand waiting for the shop to open but you have no idea when it opens... some will get the shits and go to the next shop... But I think opening up one or 2 more related ares the one Dean has just done and maybe a shrimp care or some thing a bit more shrimp based as most members sign up when something is going wrong and need help.... Just my 2 cents worth....

I agree with the newbie section, I was a little dispointed joining and finding out I would have to earn my way to at least even the most simple of threads. I can see why it is done, but a starter section might really help bring in new people as they know there is at least some content there that they can use to encourage them to become a full member. It will lead to more members, I promise!

EDIT: Also, as a new member, I can't even access my profile information or anything like that.

It really is quite difficult i find though to get your posts up' date=' apart from welcoming all the new members (which i personally feel bad doing myself, seeing as i haven't been around here that long), there really isn't any shrimp related forums (i mean wipe your chin is to some degree, but it's mostly off topic). I was thinking maybe a photo gallery or something really basic like that would be good for newer members, as it would give them ideas about keeping shrimp, whilst at the same time not really ruining the insides of the forum with idiots and trolls, it would probably keep them interested for longer, rather than having to talk about off topic things or to welcome all the new members, just my 2c, i'll keep posting til i get the main bits, it just might take a while.

One last thing, how many posts before things start getting unlocked? it isn't really crystal clear anywhere, or i just can't read. (i know answering this may encourage post padding, so i don't mind if you don't).[/quote']

What he said.

Although, after adding a few posts, alot of the other sections have opened up. However, not the library or Buy/Sell/Swap.

That can only be opened up for premium members.

At times though, I feel that this discourages newbies from getting into the hobby.

Guys Ive been following this post since it first started.

I understand that posting a few times to get the forum to open up can be reasonably daunting, but I agree with the manner in which it is set up.

I would assume that this has been done so that rather than jump into a forum and ask your question and run back to the other forums you may be part of or not, it encourages the individual to be part of the community first. e.g Introduce yourself, welcome other members, have a look at the wipe you chin section, have a yarn, laugh at someone, encourage someone and most importantly respect the individual behind the silly picture beside their name. This will already open up 95% (the most important sections) of the forum for you in a very short period of time....

I believe the primary focus of the group is one of community not necessarily one of raping the forum for info and not giving back, even if your contribution is just being friendly towards newcomers that too is an important aspect of any forum, and that in itself will give you access anyway.

Once you have become part of that circle I beleive it is harder to just ask and run, you will find that you too will support and encourage the system you have worked to become apart of.

Alternatively, if you beleive saying hello, and welcoming others in the same boat is too daunting and you just want to access the info ask your question without necessarily contributing in the written form there is an alternative (pay 0.03424 cents per day) that will support the system that will give you answers to all the questions you could possibly ever have...

There is a wealth of information on this forum that is second to none regarding shrimp, plants and general welfare of anything that lives under water :) to ask to contribute even on the smallest of scales to give the mods an idea of weather or not you are going to cause dramas for them or not is the smallest price to pay I can only hope that once you have access to the whole site you too will agree it was worth it :)

In regards to the bss, If they did away with it I would still pay my $12.50 still welcome members still take the mickey out of the owners and mods (joking) and still want to be apart of this awesome forum. In my opinion a forum is not based on a classified section that's what the trading post is for, a forum is a place to ask learn and share. SKF does an awesome job at facilitating that :)

thats just my 2c :)

P.S discussing in this thread will also get your post count up!!!

• Like 1

couldn't have said it better myself Gino Goodonyamate!!!