Just an idea for newbies

endlerboy

Hi I am a Newbie to this forum but not shrimp and just looking around this forum there is really not much there for new shrimp keepers in the way of information or anywhere to inter react with people with this side of things...... Just an idea is to open or start up a NEW area on the basic forum for new members where they can share and learn cause atm this is all they can see (see ss below). And 2 of them are not to useful to new members in "forum suggestions" and the "Marine Tanks, Shrimp & Corals" area As one a newbie will not really use as they have not seen nothing to make suggestions and the other not many are into that type of fishkeeping..... By opening a new area up to new people to this forum will get people more active as they can post things about shrimp and ask questions etc which at the atm we can really do with what is on show to us....

Just an idea to get the forum more active and gave new people to post etc....

Subscribe to This Forum

[*=right]Threads: 104
[*=right]Posts: 1,074

subscription lastpost-right.png
by Dean

30-11-2012, 20:15

Marine Tanks & Livestock
Threads / Posts

Last Postcollapse_40b.png

forum_old-48.pngMarine Tanks, Shrimp & Corals

This is where you can post pictures and ask qu

thanks for the input mate, what "forum" would you suggest we add to this list?? if you can see them all now..

anything is possible if it serves a purpose for the greater good of the forum :)

Dean I could not answer the above as all I can see the the ones listed above so does not know what else there is..... But something like a general shrimp keeping one would be good etc somewhere new poeple can ask questions show off tanks and photos of shrimp etc.... Some of the other members may be able to work out the best 1 or 2 to open up to the start up members to see or a new section.....

The ones we can see as a new members are the

4 sponsor ones

welcome new members with the following

New member Intros

forum suggestions

wipe you chin

and the Marine tanks shrimp and carols

and that all and really do not allow for inter reaction with members if you get the general idea and been welcome with posts like this one "Welcome mate, there is plenty of info available here to help you on your way. Keep posting to get full access to the forum, or maybe purchase a premium membership." we come into a forum that has nothing there for us to see etc... Which in turn the new member goes what the ???? where all this info available etc.... Not saying unlock all etc just something that gaves the new member a chance to get active etc....

ok well answer this question when you can and ill make some changes :) it is the first time this has been raised so i was thinking that no one else had problems with the layout

of the forum.. i think most genuine people that are on the forum find their way to the full forum pretty quick and are happy with the end result of getting there.

happy to make changes if they are needed so just let us know...

When I first joined this forum I thought exactly the same thing, to be honest I was a little peeved that I had to wait a day or so for a moderator to allow me to even acces the forum. Initially I could post on other people's comments in the Welcome Section and that was about it. Slowly things opened up after a few days and a few posts, I think it encourages people to be more proactive when getting started in order to get more access. I paid for the premium membership today and have full access to everything instantly. Have been busy this afternoon learning heaps about Shrimp and even used the Trader Section (to buy some Bristlenose lol). I think if people want to have more interaction then they should fork out the $12.50 and go premium. $1 a month.... Other option is be patient and keep posting and more and more will be opened up over time.

Cheers

thanks for the input guys/girls/people :) it is set up this way to stop the idiots and hawkers from getting on here and have no intention of becoming a part of this great community we have all worked so hard to create.

premium can be found here http://www.shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/payments.php

the people who are genuine and want to learn about shrimp from Australias best breeders are happy to contribute and progress through the screening stages.

we have all had to go through exactly the same process and i doubt that there is 1 single person on here that doesn't appreciate the community feel to the forum and great info available... its worth the effort if you want to learn

and that all and really do not allow for inter reaction with members if you get the general idea and been welcome with posts like this one "Welcome mate' date= there is plenty of info available here to help you on your way. Keep posting to get full access to the forum, or maybe purchase a premium membership." we come into a forum that has nothing there for us to see etc... Which in turn the new member goes what the ???? where all this info available etc.... Not saying unlock all etc just something that gaves the new member a chance to get active etc....

What about putting a one click link to the premium subscription page where the newbie can see it straight away, perhaps with a brief exlpanation of what you get for premium membership as well as cost?

we considered doing this but decided that to many people would just go premium without contributing to the forum and no one would ever get to know anyone?? we should all know each other and help each other in this hobby :)

What about putting a one click link to the premium subscription page where the newbie can see it straight away, perhaps with a brief exlpanation of what you get for premium membership as well as cost?

having a button wouldve been good as ive been looking for 20 minutes, but in that 20 minutes ive discovered threads that were interesting/informative reads.

Kind of agree with endlerboy with this regard.

Maybe *just maybe* have a few basic shrimp keeping articles available for new comers to read/reply to.

To be completely honest, getting full access isnt all that hard. Took me 3 post, I think opening up the library would be the best option.

@ 2OFUS... I recognise your username from "another" forum...

I've spent more time in that other one than here because my account is still limited in this one. (Hopefully that changes soon)

i Think its fine the way it is ..... Stops wanker and trolls :)
you hit the nail on the head. we have had enough of our hard work coppied already by other forums..
@ 2OFUS... I recognise your username from "another" forum... I've spent more time in that other one than here because my account is still limited in this one. (Hopefully that changes soon)
the forum will open up for "Contributing members" if you site around and dont contribute then nothing will change, the more you contribute the more the forum will open up :)those that use the same usernames and everyone knows generally get access a lot faster compared to those that choose to have multiple profiles and always use different names so no one ever knows who they really are. if there is nothing to hide and people are honest then using the same name for everything should be normal :)

I agree... As i am only new I am wanting to find out lots of info but not alot with the first few threads that open up.

A newbie section would be great! for example I know that MASA http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/ has a section for "new to the hobby"

but its hard to say if this will be of any use as I dont know all the topics that there are at this stage.

Thanks for the input mate, problem is if we create a newbie forum all the info doubles up as

There are already so many forums for different things.

You will see :)

Never mind about my previous thread..

Seems to be not a large amount of participating is required to open new threads so it isnt hard for anyone interested in browsing through more to be able to "open" these and interact.

any newbies on here just keep posting :)

Keep posting, loose training wheels, become a contributor, otherwise, pay your $12.50 (just over $1/ month) get access to everything including library and classifieds.

It really is quite difficult i find though to get your posts up, apart from welcoming all the new members (which i personally feel bad doing myself, seeing as i haven't been around here that long), there really isn't any shrimp related forums (i mean wipe your chin is to some degree, but it's mostly off topic). I was thinking maybe a photo gallery or something really basic like that would be good for newer members, as it would give them ideas about keeping shrimp, whilst at the same time not really ruining the insides of the forum with idiots and trolls, it would probably keep them interested for longer, rather than having to talk about off topic things or to welcome all the new members, just my 2c, i'll keep posting til i get the main bits, it just might take a while.

One last thing, how many posts before things start getting unlocked? it isn't really crystal clear anywhere, or i just can't read. (i know answering this may encourage post padding, so i don't mind if you don't).

Thank you very much! I hope this works out for everyone! Now im excited to get stuck into it, and sooner rather than later.

@ 2OFUS... I recognise your username from "another" forum...

I've spent more time in that other one than here because my account is still limited in this one. (Hopefully that changes soon)

$12.50 will let you see all, including the bss section