ROYAL WHIPTAILS FRY

Mattfish1508

Hi everyone,I have a pair of royal whips which female lays a batch of eggs every month or so,from there the eggs hatch and the fry don't seem to move around like BRISTLENOSE  fry,Have tried putting them in an algae covered small tank,Have tried feeding with green algae water and also tried placing them with BRISTLENOSE  fry ,thinking that would get them moving and copying the other fry.Fry seem to be ok for 4or5days then start dying. Because of this timeline I think maybe they are starving.  Does anybody breed royals or whiptails ?Have only managed to raise 1       One,yeh only 1 .ANY help would be great.THANKS.                  Matt

Have you tried baby brine shrimp?

Try spirulina powder, boiled mash peas (without the skin), or drop a blanched lettuce leaf into the fry tank.

They love baby brine shrimp. And the blanched lettuce is nice and easy.

• Like 1

I know @s1l3nt has successfully bred LG6s as he has sent me a bunch some months ago. He is at the moment too busy playing with his other high tech toys... haha... not sure if he will log in here and provide some advice.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers for the tag @jc12 - yes i've been a little dead in the hobby :( 

As said, i did indeed breed my LG6. They are very similar to whiptails in general though. I have not bred royal whiptails but from my understanding and memory from reading online , etc is that most people lose a lot or all of them around the 1 week point and i think it was something like 4 weeks or so.

I believe royals need a higher algae percentage in their diet, especially in the early days. If you can get mulberry leaves, blanch them and drop them in. These are very good in my experience.

Another good one is spirulina as mentioned above, however what i suggest is to max a mix of spirulina and agar agar. I believe its 2:1 spirulina to agar. mix with a little bit of hot water to make a paste. Spread this past over something like a rock or slate or similar and chuck it in the freezer for like 24 hours. Then just grab one and throw them in the tank for the fry to feed on, you should be able to see them eating it pretty easily as it will disappear, if they are not it will simply fall off the rock and onto the tank bottom. 

If you haven't already, i suggest separate the fry from adults for maximum survivors. The spirulina worked well for me with LG6, but i also used micro worms as they sink to the floor and they enjoyed these too. Try this also, but remember I believe that the royals need a slightly higher algae % vs LG6.

Good luck! :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi guys sorry haven't been online for heaps,have tried growing algae on glass panels and placing in fry tank.I will try agar agar, spurulina and have heaps of mulberry leaves,willing to try anything at this stage.I also have fry tank for fry.  Thank You S1l3nt, JC12 and JAY C.         Frustrating fish!!

Something else that you might find the fry will go crazy for is Nori sheets, the same seaweed sheets that you use to wrap up Sushi. I find my fish/ snails/ shrimp all go mad for it.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi there Everyone just an update , I have been making a Smoothy out of Spirilina,Egg ,pea and seaweed extract powders. Have left fry with parents, there is only 10 or so and didn't notice until other day, going to add mulberry and almond leaves and look into seaweed sushi rolls paper. Fingers crossed and big Thanks for all advice and help .  THANKS VERY MUCH.