Baccus

Baby Notopala top and bottom

Baccus

I have been noticing this baby notopala getting about in one of my tanks, I am assuming its the same one each time, although it could well be different ones. But wanted to share pictures of the underside of these babies as well as top view, just in case anyone else is lucky enough to also get this species of snail and wants to id the babies.

P1140031_zps5us1fmqm.jpg

P1140107_zpsklpodrns.jpg

Even though this baby was near the ravaged anubius I do not believe he is the guilty party.

And a side view of an adult of these snails, most likely a parent of the above baby

P1140032_zpsr6badxjv.jpg

• Like 1

NoGi

I wish my natives has bred. What's your water parameters like?

Baccus

At the moment I don't really know what the exact parameters are in the tank, and sadly it might be a while before I do more than the standard drops and tops thanks to a pipe leaking in the house and causing some damage, and now waiting on insurance assessors and possibly builders to do repairs. (Thank goodness it was nothing to do with my tanks over in the car shed, instead it was a wayward pipe behind the shower).

I think I have worked out that the snails have one baby at a time, this is a semi educated guess since I know for a fact that in one tank I have 2 babies with distinct size differences. If not being born at different times then I guess it could be food limitations causing slow growth on one of the babies. But I am more inclined to go with one baby at a time.

close%20up%20notopala%20baby_zps5dmnsrqc

Baccus

Update on the baby notopala I have been keeping an eye on, he's starting to develop colour now

P1140225_zps60zbesrg.jpg

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

Join Our Community!

• beanbag
      Another thing you can do to avoid rescaping: Just take some of the fresh soil and put it in your filter.
    • Zenplay,thailand
      Thx ^^
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Hopefully the fish has just damaged itself as you say, mine do that sometimes, although the changes in the water will undoubtedly have caused them stress and the water they prefer was the water you started off with? There are sections on this forum dedicated to fish, I used it when I decided to try a Betta and got great advice from JayC and this Betta is doing way better than any I have tried before because of all the different things I did/do this time! https://skfaquatics.com/forum/forums/forum/116-fish-keepers/ Great to hear that the shrimps are doing so well. I think it is natural for the berried shrimp to hide away when they are near to birth as it protects the newly hatched shrimps when they are born, and the babies don't move far when they newly hatched either. There would be little to gain at this stage in getting more shrimps before getting a bigger/new tank, it may even be detrimental? I admit to being lazy sometimes and not topping up the tank between weekly maintenance/water changes (disgraceful really as I keep a 1litre bottle of RO water right next to the tank anyway), in which case I end up taking out 2litres and putting back 3litres at the next change, but need to make an allowance for the fact the TDS will change. When I set up the new Taiwan bee tank I measured the water I put into the tank at the start (assuming the measuring jug is anywhere near accurate) so that is how I know there is 28litres in the 35litre tank - it is a good idea to do this WITH A NEW TANK (but with everything in the tank, heater, filter substrate etc) as it is so much easier to do at that point anyway. I did the same with the Betta tank and that has 20litres in a 25litre tank (the one you were thinking of getting at some point). Without the exact figure to put in the spreadsheet then it won't be 'accurate (can still be used to give you as near an idea as needed though)', especially on a small tank! It works to the digit with mine. Even if you empty the tank and refill it probably won't be that accurate as the soil will have absorbed some water, so best do it first fill of new tank. Your water parameters are looking good and pretty much there now so all else being well you should be able to go back to once a week maintenance/water change. I don't know much about Nitrite/Nitrate as I have never had any readings, apart from the old fish/cherry shrimp tank which has always been 50 nitrate for years, probably because there are too many fish but there has never been a problem in that tank? PURELY AS A GUESS I would think the duckweed may have caused the problem/imbalance, but that is ONLY a guess based on I used it once and swore never again, I use water lettuce now, though that isn't perfect either as the routes grow so quickly that I have to trim those every week, but still a lot easier than duckweed.  Simon
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Thanks JayC, I think it is called a Geode, that was what it was sold as when I bought it in US many years ago though it could be something else? I think it is some sort of meteorite? Hopefully, as you say, now it is removed the PH may start to drop and I have put one in some prepared water to test in a week. I will also just see what happens with prepared water left out for the same period just to see what happens with that. Simon
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Those are very good quality shrimps and photos. Simon