yellow cherry breeding question

smicko

hi all. I recently got a batch of 5 yellows and they all turned out female, yay for me :-D lol. I want to experiment with a couple of them and have a couple of options. the first is to breed them with a male rili (yellow rili?) or I could breed with either fire red or first gen blues( which are still showing some red). just wanting to know if anyone has tried either combination and their experience with them.

thanks In advance, Mick

Hi Mick, 5 x females isn't a bad situation. Perhaps ask the seller (if local) to swap, or purchase some males ? Experimenting with cherries ATM is difficult to ascertain (especially if they were derived from some Choc genes), as the variation they are producing is varied... which is fantastic for our hobby. If you have no luck with getting a yellow male or two, shoot me a PM.

hi bb. I agree that all female is a good problem to have, I will be looking to get some male yellows from someone on here but I will try local breeders first. so I was thinking of using 3 females to breed yellows and using 2 of them to experiment with. I can trace back 4 gens of yellows but not sure what they were originally bred from. would putting them with a male rili put me on a path to yellow or different colour rilis?

cheers, Mick

hey smicko, I'm got males if you wanna do a trade :D

I'm not sure if your the same guy that came round tonight and picked up some Azolla?

hi lucky, I would be that person sorry I couldn't stay and chat. cheers for the azolla. I got some yellows off nogi today so I should be right I will let you know if not.

cheers, Mick