Set up another tank but I have a question

Mitch91

So after a long stuff around I've decided to turn my 4ft into a shrimp tanks and I have added canister and chiller too it. I had to get more bags of soil ista fine I used and filled with water along with drift wood. 

My question is this. 

The soil bag states it's fish and shrimp safe right away, I tested my water and results are as follows:

PH 6.6

Ammonia 0 - .25

nitrite is 0

nitrates in between 0 - 5

when would u add shrimp?

No.

But do you have an existing filter that has mature beneficial bacteria already?

If you do, then Ista soils cycle really quickly due to their low amounts of ammonia.

Just now, jayc said:

No.

But do you have an existing filter that has mature beneficial bacteria already?

If you do, then Ista soils cycle really quickly due to their low amounts of ammonia.

No I don't it's in my established tank with shrimp in it. So I can't use that until this one is safe to use as I plan to move them into the bigger tank and get rid of the small tanks. 

It did have some soil I used in my fish tank 2 bags of ista. If that would help. 

How long would u give it to be shrimp ready ?

Do you have a new filter that you intend to use for your new 4ft tank?  If yes and there's nothing bad in your old tank you're worried about spreading, run it WITH your old filter in your established tanks to get the bacteria started.  Filter squeezings from  the old filter and swapping part of the old media for some of the new media in the new filter (take some bio balls, ceramic rings, cut the sponge) etc will also speed it up.  I usually run the new filter for about a week (or more if you're got time or planned ahead and aren't as impatient as I am) like that before putting it in the new tank.  Swapping part of your old substrate and plants will likely help a bit too.

Once the filter and everything else destined for the new tank is in place, I usually give it a couple of days running with water and plants, with a small source of ammonia living (if it looks decently clear) or non-living.  The day after everything looks like it's settled, I start water tests and adding creatures I don't mind losing.  Umm... yes it's mean, but I use my least favorite male guppies for this, possibly snails if you have them and don't mind them in the new tank, or the REALLY cull shrimp.  I will note that the guppies don't seem to suffer - the same ones have help start 3 tanks and are still alive and healthy.  If things look like they're good to go, I'll slowly start adding the real intended inhabitants in batches every couple of days.  If you're moving tanks and can take the old filters out of their old tanks when you have removed the inhabitants, you can put the old filters in the new tanks (along with the new filter) for a few days or a week as an extra buffer.

I have successfully started up my last 3 tanks in about 3-10 days like this.  The 3 days was when I was just transferring tanks - from a 30L tall to a 38L horizontal tank.  Keep in mind, excessively disturbing the substrate of the established tanks to try to re-use as much of it as I could was the only thing that gave me trouble (small ammonia spike in established tank). 

This is just what I do, please don't take it as a guarantee that you won't have any issues or loss of critters this way... or even that it's a "good" way to start a tank.  I do it because if I had to wait 2 months to establish a tank, I would never have any up.

• Like 1

Can't add anymore to what Kaylenna said.

Use part of your old filter media in the new filter. Or squeeze some gunk into the new tank.

4 hours ago, Mitch91 said:

How long would u give it to be shrimp ready ?

When ammonia and nitrites read zero.

Thank you both for your answers much appreciated 

So here it is my final well maybe not final but my shrimp tank set up. Here's the run down of the tank set up. 

Filter is a Aqua one 1000 model that I have paired up with a 250amp healia chiller, the tank itself is a 4ft x 18 x 18. The substrate I used was ista soil fine, and the stuff I used in my small tank that's no longer in use ista soil (not fine) and a bit of Ada Amazonia. I have added 2 pieces of drift wood Malaysian and I'm not sure what the other bit is lol but it's wood. Along with a few lava rocks. 

This is just been set up so it's still cycling but I plan to add some moss's and cholla woods, I don't plan on having any sort of stem plants in the tank. I also have a air pump that i plan to add with some sponge filters. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

how fine is the filter guard? if its  the stock one that came with the filter you might lose shrimplets up it. you might need to get a SS mesh filter guard. best get 2 so you can swap them for cleaning.

the other side of cycling a tank is the biofilm, i like to cycle my tanks for a few weeks extra to make sure they are settled and all my tanks currently have ada amazonia so epic cycle times are standard any way. 

i am a big fan of using culls as testers, it saves sacrificing your best shrimp/ fish. 

Edited by buck

2 hours ago, buck said:

how fine is the filter guard? if its  the stock one that came with the filter you might loos shrimplets up it. you might need to get a SS mesh filter guard. best get 2 so you can swap them for cleaning.

the other side of cycling a tank is the biofilm, i like to cycle my tanks for a few weeks extra to make sure they are settled and all my tanks currently have ada amazonia so epic cycle times are standard any way. 

i am a big fan of using culls as testers, it saves sacrificing your best shrimp/ fish. 

Yeah I will be getting some ss guards shortly for it actually completely forgot until u mentioned this lol. And I agree, as long as it's ready before it starts to get to hot because atm they have been living in a 20l tank that's not chilled but doing fine breeding well too

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matt1508 said:

Looks great,deep colour,Where did u get ,member,shop,gumtree. I am looking to buy..?

Got it from a local produce center very good quality for shop shrimp so I grabbed 2f and 1 boy plus got a bonus 2 baby's lol

Hey Mitch you can use some of the wifes' pantyhose for fine filters on the intake until you get the SS ones,  did you get the shrimp from West Ips i saw them there myself, looked nice and black and was very tempted.

2 hours ago, Shrimp Aqua said:

Hey Mitch you can use some of the wifes' pantyhose for fine filters on the intake until you get the SS ones,  did you get the shrimp from West Ips i saw them there myself, looked nice and black and was very tempted.

Oh thanks for that might steal and cut one up lol sure she wouldn't know. Yes that's the shop they are a solid colour too no patches anything. So I couldn't resist. Had the lady trying to catch the shrimp I told her I wanted lol. 

3 hours ago, Shrimp Aqua said:

Maybe your wife has cheap hose... but in case she's got decent ones... I highly recommend you ASK before you possibly ruin $20 worth.  Unless she's  VERY laid back, I promise you, she'll be PISSED.  And you'll have wasted more money in hose than SS mesh ones cost.  If you ask, she might have a pair that's on its way out and she'd be ok with having an excuse to replace them earlier.  There are other options as well - fine weave plastics/nylons (like a double layer of tulle would work as a temporary measure).  Or if you're desperate, snitch the little stocking things some shoe stores have for people to use to try on shoes. 

If you need a non-standard size or shape and are up to a spot of DIY, I can sell you some fine mesh to make your own filter guard.  I just made one today.

Thanks I asked her and got 1 Woop. 

Anyways I tested my water last night 0 nitrites, 0 ammonia, and ph of 6.4 if I remember correctly. And nitrates are also 0. I added a guppy in the tank to see how it goes and seems to be still swimming lol over the next week I'll monitor it I think.

tank temp is 22, tds is 110ppm

A big big thank you to buck for this wonderful looking moss I appreciate it a lot mate my shrimp seem to love it too :) woo can't wait for it to grow 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg