Display setup complete !

Jarad

• 2 weeks later...

So I have tidied up the tanks internal pluming. It looks much nicer but the flow is nowhere near as good as it was. I am expecting this to not be an issue when I get a chiller installed as convection currents will form and ensure the entire bodies of water in the tanks are turned over :)

14725331_720238458129123_558590242_o.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So the doors have come off the cabinet, and I have whipped up temp. monitoring for the sump. In desperate need of a chiller so thats the next addition, After that I will replace the 2 tanks with a 3 section 3fter then add some shelving and add another 3fter above it.

15139556_743865305766438_828386868_n.jpg

15174510_743865545766414_728006792_n.jpg

Edited by Jarad G Davey
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

So what started as a few tanks and a sump is evolving into a shrimp room ...
In the process of preparing and drilling several 3fters, the rack is up and a chiller has been added. Once I have some free time on my hands the tanks will go in.

15902639_772592032893765_1747033165_o.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

My sump blew out , Some quick plumbing and $11.50 from bunnings managed to keep my shrimp alive. This is day 3 of the emergency sump running and I have suffered no stock loss. New sump will be built and ready for the new rack.

16107879_778409058978729_386066271_o.jpg

16145163_778409112312057_1370073881_o.jpg

• Like 1

So, I am collecting the new sump and 4 tanks this weekend. In the process of designing the new sump, Very similar to the old sump however I have lowered the refugium which allows for wet dry media where the drained water enters. I am also putting eggcrate in to raise the media so that the flow of water is less impeded. 

Untitled2.jpg

Good to see you are well on your way to rebuilding the sump @Jarad Did you ever find the cause of the issue with the first sump?

• Like 1

Just now, jayc said:

Good to see you are well on your way to rebuilding the sump @Jarad Did you ever find the cause of the issue with the first sump?

Cheers @jayc, I have put it down to the shelf it was on warping due to a previous leak. I will be reinforcing the shelves on the rack with marine ply with foam sheeting on top to hopefully prevent this happening in future. I turned the old sump over to check the damage. Needless to say it is obvious why it was leaking.

16196923_782354585250843_447609713_o.jpg

Ouch!

And to think a simple, cheap piece of foam could have prevented that from happening.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, jayc said:

Ouch!

And to think a simple, cheap piece of foam could have prevented that from happening.

Foam wouldn't have saved it with the extent of the warping :/

Just on the subject of foam - your tip@jayc re bunnings polytuf mat was a good one. They are adequately thick, affordable and look good in my opinion :-)

Keep us posted@Jarad love ya work mate as always!

812aec87abff1eba5a89a27117f3f66b.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, revolutionhope said:

bunnings polytuf mat

Yep, that is still recommended. They don't break and peel off like the normal white polystyrene foam as well.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, NoGi said:

lol, my skf cupboard is fairly bare atm. I got a mug or XL tee if you like.

Thankyou oh benevolent shrimp god, bless me with thou coffee receptacle ^_^
If my address is on file its probably wrong. 

18 hours ago, Jarad said:

Thankyou oh benevolent shrimp god, bless me with thou coffee receptacle ^_^
If my address is on file its probably wrong. 

Send me a PM with the address

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Well, Its been a bit of a journey but the rack is up and running.
I keep promising to do writeups but its near impossible to get things done around here.

20196284_890558824430418_2146519283_o.jpg

• Like 4

That is pretty impressive @Jarad

Do you have the shrimp to fill them all?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Madmerv said:

That is pretty impressive @Jarad

Do you have the shrimp to fill them all?

Thanks, Nah I have a plan as to filling them although all funds went into the rack. Currently have a bay for Oto's, One with CBS and one with Bloody Mary. Over the next few weeks I will be getting some more if I can afford it.
Next to get are CRS, Yellow neo's and blue neos. They will help with the local market and get some cashflow.

35 minutes ago, Jarad said:

One with CBS and one with Bloody Mary. Over the next few weeks I will be getting some more if I can afford it.
Next to get are CRS, Yellow neo's and blue neos.

Wait. So how do you keep the water parameters for Neocaridina and Caridina species if the rack shares one sump?

Or are you not going to bother and go with some middle ground water parameter?

15 minutes ago, jayc said:

Wait. So how do you keep the water parameters for Neocaridina and Caridina species if the rack shares one sump?

Or are you not going to bother and go with some middle ground water parameter?

My Neo's don't seem to mind Caridina parameters, they have been going strong in the old setup. In fact I would go as far to say they thrive. Way better than when I was running neo params.

I've got some amazing results with the BMs so far :)

Long term goal is all Caridina, just need to sell some Neo's for cashflow.

• Like 1