millz new 20l

millz

hi all.

i have just got my hands on a plain rectangle 20l tank which i am looking at making into a shrimp tank.

i am planning on a heater and filter but i would like advice on

substrate

plants

plant additives as i wont be using co2

any advice would be great

What type of  shrimp are you  planning on  keeping? 

That will dictate the answer for substrate.

For plants, keep mosses and low light plants. No need for plant additives or fertilisers.

Hi Millz

Welcome to SKF. 

The advice you seek sounds simple, and is asked in the plainest way, but is actually so complicated you have stunned the SKF into silence.. Lol.  (Edit: Jayc types faster than me)

As i'm new here and have a bit of time this morning i will get you started. The more experienced can chime in and correct everything i say later.

Substrate:: You can have everything from Nothing (bare bottom),Tank Gravel, Plain washed Sand, DIY subs to the most expensive stuff that a LFS can sell you. The choice is yours and it depends a lot on personal preference and budget. For some plants that require root ferts then a suitable sub is needed but this can be worked around with root tabs. So the sub is partially dependent on plant variety to go in. Some research is needed on your side.

Plants::  Well your preference is also really important. Some here, like myself, really like the wavey leafed one and the one with the smallish round leaves that are kind of heart shaped.. Some people will spin of the latin name of everything they have like they have studied it for 20 years. I will say plastic plants almost never die and are easy to look after. Not the best for your shrimp as there is no natural balance going on and shrimp love things to be natural. Plants add a lot to a tank including bio film surfaces and hiding spots. Research a bit and then ask if it is easy to grow.

Plant Additives::  Depends on the plants. Copper is bad.. I have heard that you can have an awsum shrimp tank or an awsum planted tank. One will always suffer. I personally think both is better with the plants not growing at 100% but the shrimp loving the conditions. Pick the plants and then ask what is needed if it dosent look the best.