Sign in to follow this  
Finley

Otocinclus and shrimp babies - truth or rumour?

Finley

I'm keen to hear from anyone who has first hand experience of keeping correctly identified Otocinclus catfish with shrimp. 

There's a widespread belief, often repeated, that Otocinclus leave shrimp alone and are safe to keep in the same tank.

There are also stories of Otocinclus chowing down on shrimplets, and even in one case on adults, so now that belief is also being repeated.

There are many cases of Otocinclus being confused with Siamese Algae Eaters and other similar looking fish.

I want to get to the truth. Can anyone who has ever kept definite Otocinclus with shrimp please tell me your experiences and observations?

BTW, for ID...

These are Otocinclus, with the sucker mouth and spot on the tail root: 
Otocinclus_hoppei.jpg
otocinclus-catfish-banana-plant-leaf.jpg

These are not:
siamese-algae-eater.jpg

algae-eater.jpg

chineseAlgaeEater3.jpg

• Like 1

Bostave

I always had otocinclus in my shrimp tanks and I never seen them eat any shrimp or shrimplet. They eat the shrimp foods and the dried blackworms. I also have l397s with my crs and I still see growth in the crs population. 

• Like 1

Baccus

I used to have otocinclus (no idea which exact species but probably a common one since they came from a local petshop) and the shrimp numbers never seemed to decrease. The otos may have snacked on the occasional dead shrimp or even a shed shell but I never saw them ever so much as look at snacking on a shrimp or shrimplet. I also have a whiptail (possibly L06) who doesn't seem to care one bit about eating shrimp. Even more surprising it appears so far that even my Dwarf Chain loaches are shrimp safe, and my Khuli loaches have already proved they are shrimp safe.

jayc

Similar experiences with my Otos and shrimp here.

The Otos show no sign of eating shrimplets or the adults.

I have seen shrimplets crawling on the head of one of my Oto, and the fish just sat there without moving.

I moved to get a camera, but my movement spooked the Oto, and the photo opportunity was missed.

sushant

Never had problem keeping shrimps and otos together

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Crabclaw
      By Crabclaw
      Hey guys, I thought I’d just make a single topic for my community tank, so I stop running around in other chats asking the same questions 😁. I’m going thru a big change in the tank at the moment, so will likely update in the morning with photos once the cloudiness is gone. Be prepared for a possibly very long message about a 10 hour process 😂.
      Cheerio!
    • Crabclaw
      By Crabclaw
      Hey guys, I’m going away for a few weeks and having a neighbour take care of my tank, as they are already gonna be caring for my cat during that period. I’ll be away for 2 and a half weeks, so not a huge amount of time, but the neighbour doesn’t have any experience with fish or shrimp tank maintenance.
      The tank will be fine without a water change during that time as long as I do one before I leave, I know that, but my 2 main problems are feeding and stopping my intake sponge from clogging up.
      For feeding I was considering getting a couple of pill boxes, like the ones that have seperate compartments for each day of the week, so I can set a certain amount for each day, and which foods.
      But for the intake sponge, I’m pretty stumped. My current intake is a sponge filter connected to the intake pipe, but it’s been clogging up once or twice a week due to how fine it is (and how messy my fish are). When it’s clogged, it puts strain on the canister filter’s motor, and that’s not good. I don’t trust her with cleaning it safely, plus I’m only paying her for 5 mins in the morning, and 5 at night. I’ve considered a mesh intake, but it looks like it could hurt a fish if it went past it quickly... plus I can’t check the size of the inside where the pipe could go as the only one I’ve found would have to be posted.
      Are there easy alternatives that I wouldn’t have to mod, or do intake sponges come in courser versions? (I haven’t checked).

Any input would be appreciated!

• TheKeeper
      By TheKeeper
      So I currently have a 6 gallon planted tank that has been set up and running for 3 weeks. Im about to purchase my red cherry shrimp to put in this tank. There is plenty of algae in the tank for them to eat, so food should be fine for the beginning correct? Plus it is heavily planted meaning there is plenty of organic matter to be consumed at all times, so they shouldn't really need to be fed ever? Also i see that drip acclimation is best for getting them used to there new home. If i did this till the tank is half empty for provided them with as close conditions as possible without emptying the tank. Am i good to just refill the tank afterward or from now on when i do water changes do they all need to be dripped in? Also is it true that adding calcium to the tank is beneficial for the shrimp to molt?
      Im a pretty experienced fish keeper, just haven't ever had with shrimp so I dont want to kill all these expensive shrimps due to lack on knowledge. Any more knowledge or advice that can be given to me is high encouraged, even if it seems simple. 
      Some specs of the tank, tanks does have a filter, that has small openings that could suck up baby shrimp. Its a small filter and has algae growth on the openings so it really does reduce the flow a bit, where i dont see it becoming a  huge issue. The tank is co2 injected, but thats pretty nailed down so nuking them with co2 is highly unlikely. The tank has a soil bottom capped with coarse sand. The vast majority of the bottom of the tank is carpeted with plants but they still have a way to go. There is no lid on the top of the tank. The tank does have some natural river stones in it with the brown algae growth on them. And a lot of the plants have the white "bugger" algae growing on them or around them. The tank receives about 10 hours of light a day. I know i put a lot of un-important information here, but maybe a pro will see a problem here and be able to inform me so I can correct it. Thanks for your time and consideration in advance!!!!
      Regards
      -The Keeper
    • TheKeeper
      By TheKeeper
      Ive done alot of research but let me explain my set up for you. I have a 6 gal tank that is approx 12 inch tall. It is a fertilized and currently has a DIY co2 on it, i did this by taking a 2 liter bottle and adding sugar and yeast, it is connected to a special co2 bubble (whatever they are called). The tank also has high lighting and is completely planted carpeted and bigger plants. Im about to be adding in my cherry shrimp and know that gassing them with co2 is possible at night. And im wanting to avoid this of course. Yet i dont want to spend alot of money upgrading my co2 system. The co2 bubblier is only 8-9 inchs from the water line. The majority of the bubbles reach the surface meaning not all the co2 is dissolving or there are other gasses present. Im wondering if I can get away with this co2 delivery system. Or what simple upgrades could be made so that it doesn't run at night? from what i understand it would be at night i would gas the shrimp? Also I do a 50% water change 1 if not 2 times a week. 

Options ive thought of-
      1. Instead of a 2 liter bottle maybe like a 12 oz bottle, scale back the yeast and sugar so there is less co2 being produced
      2. Releasing the pressure in the DIY bubblier before bed. so it would take maybe 4-6 hour for the pressure to build up again and start bubbling 
      3. Upgrading system (Dont want to do this really, but i though of it)
    • Kaylenna
      By Kaylenna
      http://www.asofv.com/  Or http://www.edas.com.au/
      SATURDAY OCTOBER 29th. 2016
                      EDAS AUCTION
         Waratah Room   397 Whitehorse Road Nunawading
      Auction commences 12.30
  • Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• javierhnb
      Really? Why bb x red panda? Have YOU got good results? I AM surprised Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
    • kms
      I finally setup my chiller, although it's ok, I find the temperature display a little messed up (not sure if its the controller or the chiller, I have a temperature gun on order to get a more accurate reading), when compared with my temperature controller, the figures are off, even when adjusting them, sometime it's 0.1c, 0.2c, 0.3c, 0.4c faster or slower, some times its the same, but either way, it's consider accurate, and reaches the same figures at the end with 25c kicks off and 26c kicks on. May be I should use the same sensor/probe then it could be more accurate, the temperature controller used a metal end sensor, whiles the Hailea used a plastic. it takes about 8 minutes from 26C to 25C. it takes about  49 minutes after the chiller reaches 25C to 26C. But the weather is a lot better than a few months ago.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      That is a clever idea separating into trays like that! Thanks for the picture! With the shrimps now in place producing waste and (per JayC) once the roots are settled in I am sure you will start to see the plants starting to grow better as time goes on? There is one big advantage of coarse to the plants growing slower and that is less maintenance/trimming/getting overgrown? Simon
    • beanbag
      I think you can get blue panda from blue bolt x red wine panda
    • beanbag
      Here is a picture of the tank from about 2 weeks ago, or 1 week after I added shrimp.  The tank took about 3+ months to cycle, mainly because I wasn't watching the pH, and every time I added ammonium chloride or fertilizer it would drop the pH and stall the cycle.  But during the cycling time when I added nutrients and lots of light, the s. repens and Ludwigia grew quickly.  But now the s. repens growth has stalled (no more ferts).  Same for the monte carlo. The peacock moss is growing very slowly, and it is also stringy and not highly branched, so there is something wrong with the growth parameters also. Regarding the light: it is programmable, so I can set the brightness to whatever, but since I don't have a light meter, I can't say absolutely how bright it is.  But currently it is set so that it is at least visually dim compared to other aquariums I have seen, and the light is on for approx 8 hrs a day. (It ramps up and down)  I will try what you suggested and make the light brighter but shorter duration. Anyway, I had read that the way to out-compete algae was to have the plants grow even faster, but so far they aren't growing much.