Any successful Ellobiopsidae Treatments?

Zoidburg

Tried doing a search, came across people mentioning a cure, but did not see recommended guidelines. Just wondering if I might be missing any possible treatments?

So far, I've seen people use...

1. Tank Blackout
  2. Salt Baths/Salted Aquarium
  3. Paraguard
  4. Malachite Green/Formalin Products (Ick Attack, Maracyn 2, JBL Fungol, Sera Mycopur..)
  5. EM Erythromycin (heard of it)
  6. Kordon Herbal Ich Attack
  7. Personalized Treatment Plan
  8. Herbal Treatments (heard of it)
  9. ???

I don't have any shrimp who are infected, so I'm not asking for myself. I did have one shrimp that had the infection and was quarantined. Never made it out of quarantine, unfortunately. Someone else has at least 12 infected shrimp and they are trying products by Fritz (Mardel) to attempt a cure.

The best treatment I've heard of is a combination of malachite green (copper) and formalin (formaldehyde), which is not recommended for inverts. Formaldehyde may no longer be available after this year (at least not on the shelves), so other treatment options would be great!

I've moved this topic to the Shrimp Health & Care section, as it is appropriate to this topic.

There is some discussion this thread I am maintaining.

More detailed discussion in this thread...

Unfortunately, Geoff's shrimp were too far infected and didn't make it through treatment.

The only treatment that I know of that has worked is medication with Formalin & Malachite green combo.

Some off the shelf products with Formalin that also includes malachite green include

• Fritz Mardel QuICK Cure is one such product.
  • Aquasonic has one too.
  • Kordon Rid Ick Plus also uses the same ingredients.

Not sure about #6 Kordon Herbal Ich Attack, as we can't get that readily in Aus, but the rest won't work.

• Like 1

Thanks. I wasn't entirely sure the best place to put the thread.

I've seen both those threads that were mentioned, didn't find any information in it to add. I've come across much the same thing. Actually, thinking about it, I forgot to mention API Melafix and Pimafix. But, like you, the best success seems to come with the malachite green and formalin mix.

I don't know about Australia, but in the USA, products that contain formalin may no longer be on the shelves, thus making treatment that much more difficult. I'm hoping to find other treatments that don't require the use of formalin.

The black out method I've heard works best if done for a minimum of 2-3 weeks. Seems the best course of action, regardless of how it's treated, is to use a bare bottom tank with frequent water changes. The Kordon Herbal Ich Attack (does not contain malachite green, nor formalin), actually suggests not doing water changes until at least 3-4 days after the infection disappears... so that's treating the tank, daily, until it's gone. If the shrimp I was treating didn't die, I would have tried this product.

I'm not even sure if Aquasonic is available in the USA, but we do have plenty of products we can get.

I have some links to pages where treatment was successful using different methods, but I don't know if it's alright to post all the links, and I think some might end up getting blocked?

20 minutes ago, Zoidburg said:

I have some links to pages where treatment was successful using different methods, but I don't know if it's alright to post all the links, and I think some might end up getting blocked?

Melafix and Pimafix don't work either, apparently.

I've not met anyone first hand that has cured it. Mostly, someone has heard of someone else type of stories.

If you send a PM to me with the links to those pages where people have documented successful treatment methods, it would be appreciated.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Someone had success curring his shrimp (from appearances so far) of this parasite. They used a hospital tote with paraguard, 1ml aquarium salt to liter of water and no light. They also fed some food made to help kill the parasite (made by a vendor who sells shrimp products, but the food itself is currently not for sale through the vendors site).

Started treatment around September 19th, didn't feed for at least 1 1/2 weeks, posted update on October 3rd of the disappearance of the parasite, but the shrimp is still in this hospital tank for at least another week to be sure it's gone.

Someone else swears by Potassium Permanganate as a 100% cure, stating that a University did a study, and it was part of a bigger study. Other people have also used PP to treat the parasite. I asked for references/info, person has refused to give any.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• cocobean
      By cocobean
      hi everyone
      i noticed one of my cherry shrimp got black spot on her saddle and slightly yellow bellow the black spot its been 1 week in my shrimp tank and nothing happened to her all good (eating , swimming) except she cant close her saddle properly i cant find this kind of disease on google , what should i do? i have no idea because this is my first shrimp tank

its hard to get focus with my phone camera 
      any help and answer i really appreciate it thanks in advance
    • Shrimp Mania
      By Shrimp Mania
      In this video I'm going to show you a cool method of keeping two different neocaridina shrimp in one tank without mixing them. I show you how I separate small colony of yellow cherry shrimp from blue dream shrimp by using small breeding box.
      https://youtu.be/-DrVirbmZT0
    • Lovlea
      By Lovlea
      Hi new shrimp owner here. I’ve read and done lot of research. I’ve had them for only a short time before the 3 females I have became berried all at once. One is an orange and she has a full batch of yellow eggs. I have a clear, with red saddle and tail and a little yellow. She has a small 4 eggs batch (assuming because she’s new to the tank or a new mom) and then this beauty (as seen pictured. When I read about egg color they are yellow or green. Can someone tell me about these blue eggs? The male is all black. 

• Macronano
      By Macronano
      Hi - I'm wondering if anyone can explain what went wrong with my shrimp tank!
      Although the parameters for ammonia, nitrate, nitrite were good in my small tank, the pH was high (8.2). This remained constant over a couple of months, so I thought it was ok. GH & KH were 6.
      Then a couple of weeks ago the red nose shrimp, them this week the cherry shrimp and finally the nerite snails, died. I couldn't figure out the problem. Then today I emptied the tank. It was up on a bookshelf so normally I can't smell the water. Today when I siphoned it out I could smell a very strong chemical smell and the taste (a quick sampling when I siphoned), was tangy. Not like the earthy smell and neutral taste of the other shrimp tank I have. 
      Any ideas what it could have been?
    • Flynn002
      By Flynn002
      Hi, I am doing a project for my college course:
      How does temperature affect the number of fry a cherry shrimp produces?
      I have setup a small 18L nano tank and it’s currently cycling. When ready, I am planning on taking 1 male and 1 female cherry shrimp from my main shrimp tank and putting them in the new tank. and waiting until I see eggs. I will then remove the male and when the eggs have hatched, or when the babies are big enough to see, I will count them. 
      I will then repeat this with different temperatures.
      it seems like it will all work in theory and I have 1 year to do this so time is not an issue. The only issue I see is that I’m unsure how Will I accurately count the fry? 
      This is vital for my project and if anybody has ideas I would greatly appreciate it. 
      cheers :)
  • Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Must Read SKF Articles

• cocobean
      yeah i did hang some leaves , don't know why babies and small shrimps like to gathering there
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Thats fantastic news, I would leave it where it is for a few more days to be sure and make it easier to keep an eye on it! I know the indian almond leaves have some antibacteria properties (?) maybe you should put a few in the main tank as it won't do any harm and may help. The tannin rich water won't be too difficult to clear with water changes at a later date either.
    • cocobean
      my first shrimp seems like recovered , my malachite green still in shipping so i did aquarium salt dip every other day i put 3 sick shrimp in seperate bowl 1 shrimp couldn't make it on first day (maybe shock from transferring) the second shrimp still alive but still same not changes anything i put several indian almond leaves in their bowl its makes heavily brown water like a tea. everyday i dip the shrimp in aquarium salt bath for every 3-4 mins (1 spoons of aquarium salt with 150ml water) today i noticed my first shrimp didn't have any green/yellow spot even the black spot already disappeared , is it safe to put the shrimp in main tank now? or i should quarantine for several days?
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Whatare those pellets you are adding, can you test one of those in water and see if it increases the TDS? I am assuming it is some kind of fertilizer for the plants? Also, how much old substrate did you use to 'seed' the tank as if it is old substrate that may be releasing stuff into the water? I wouls suspect those pellets to be your issue though!
    • Dirk De Bakker
      Only used disc's buffer and regulator the once.  The regulator kept taking the Ph up to 7 as it claimed it did.   Even Seachem USA didn't explain very well even though I was telling them I wanted a Ph in the low 6's.   I saw the TDS going up so stopped using both.  I haven't  added anything in the way of remineralizers since that first dose just straight RO.  The TDS just climbs of its own accord.  I think it must be just the Amazonia V2 giving me the headache.   Maybe its the secondary additional pellets they included in the Amazonia mix.   I haven't tried Disc's buffer alone at this stage and at the moment can't  see the need.  The Ph seems to be about right and is holding steady at 5.8 to 6.0 happy with that its been stable for days now.  Ammonia is 0,  Nitrite 0, Nitrate is very slightly up but not excessive.  KH is 0, GH is 3 or slighly above.    No rocks only 2 small pieces of wood that came out of my PRL holding tank.   These 2 pieces of wood I tested for 24 hours in a bucket with no TDS increase.  I have done numerous and I mean numerous straight RO water changes daily for several times now.  I can get it down to around TDS 115 mark with the changes but it creeps up overnight again and keeps going up daily.  Tank has been running for about 6 weeks minimum and was seeded with substrate about 4 weeks ago from an established older tank (years old).