NoGi

What shall we call ourselves?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Potential New Forum Name

• aquariumkeepersforum.com
    • theaquariumforum.com
    • talkaquariums.com
    • insideaquarium.com

Cool, now that we have a working example of how the existing skf url will work post rebrand, we can focus back on the new name. Happy to consider alternatives to the poll but my requirements:

• Needs to cater for shrimp, fish, crabs, snails and tanks
  • Can't be too long (e.g. no shrimpandfishandcrabandsnailandtanksforum.com)
  • Easy to associate name with the aquarium hobby

10 hours ago, NoGi said:

It's not live yet but by the morning, if you go to http://invertkeepers.com/ you'll see what I mean about the shrimpkeepersforum.com url still working after the change. The invert keepers url should (if I've set it up right) take you to http://shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/forum/79-shrimp-keepers.

I found this a little disconcerting.  Someone new who might be coming in from a google search (for example) might think this is all the forum has to offer.  It isn't immediately obvious that there are other forum sections on other topics unless you are tuned in to the breadcrumb trail.  It would help if there was  a navigational aid (link, button etc) for "return to forum" or similar to indicate there is more.

It also makes more sense to me to redirect the URL to whatever the final name is so you are building one brand rather than diluting the effort across multiple names.

5 minutes ago, Grubs said:

Someone new who might be coming in from a google search

I can exclude it from the search index ? This redirect was more to appease those that want to type in shrimp in the domain name. So the only way to find it would be word of mouth. It's probably a little confusing atm as the branding is still SKF but if you landed here using a different url, you would see the new brand with it's URL in the logo so would be a lot more obvious if that makes sense.

Oh and you can add text up the top to show that there is a larger site. I'll do that now so you know what I mean.

example.png

• Like 1

I'll be running a follow up poll with the 2 top ones from the current poll and a couple of names that incorporate some of the feedback here.

I've also got Aquatic Bible (aquaticbible.com) and Inverts and Fish (invertsandfish.com). The later being a little less generic.

Me attempt at name suggestions:

1. Aquarium Reservoir,
  2. Aquatic Capital,
  3. Aquarium Capital Forum,
  4. Gills & Fins Forums.

1 - 3 are themed along the lines of being a central repository site for all things aquarium/aquatic.

Gills and fins is just something you think about as an anatomy on shrimps or fish.

<edit> One more...

5. In memory of Shrimp Keepers Forum, and much like what Kentucky Fried Chicken did going from "Kentucky Fried Chicken" to just KFC to get away from just fried chickens and expanding their menu to include other things like burgers, how about SKF Aquatic Forums.

Personally, I like #5, as it retains some heritage.

Edited by jayc
  • Like 3

Working if that, I don't mind

SKF Aquatics (drop the forum)

I also got

AquaticTail - cause all fish and shrimp have tails and it's a play on "tales"

ShrimpyFish - dunno, just sounded cool off the tongue lol

Way of the Aquatic Tale - That's what Bruce Lee would have said.

If you are going to use a play on words, I like "tale" rather than tail.

Put them up for a re-vote, cause i didn't like any that are up there now.

They should have added this question to the Census. It's better than any of those questions they asked.

Edited by jayc
  • Like 1

Lol I'm going to run a new poll with a few different options and will send out another email.

I'll use aquatic tales instead of tail. The SKF one will be included as well as the invert one.

That should cover everyone's suggestions.

1 minute ago, NoGi said:

The SKF one will be included as well

Yep.

And you can be sure that domain name will be available. www.skfaquatics.com

1 minute ago, NoGi said:

Nope it went before I posted it

Nice one. ? ?

Now sit on it and see if someone will offer you $4000 for it. 

• NoGi locked this topic
  • NoGi unfeatured and unpinned this topic