Kaylenna

About 2 weeks ago, I started losing shrimp, one every few days.  They all had pinkish heads and were all Bluebolts.  At first, I thought it was due to trauma from my fussing with their tank do a thorough cleaning and to split up the shrimp and move some to their new tank (the old tank suffered a small pH spike).  But I noticed that ONLY the BB's were dying, not the Pandas that share their tank/compartment and were moved along with them or the TTB's and Red Cherries that also suffered the same treatment.  The some of my BB's are relatively new and I suspect I should have been a lot more vigorous about quarantine.  The latest death was an almost adult BB - the last 2 days, its color was noticeably deeper than usual and it was not nearly as active as usual.  I did not see the pink color on its head until it was dead, but that may be because its head is normally fairly dark and only lost color when it died?

Is it a bacterial infection? 

I have a UV filter I'm about to start in the affected tank - would that possibly help if it's a water-born source?  I was thinking of trying the hydrogen peroxide treatment as well.

I did look at the diseases thread, but without a good diagnosis, I'm not sure that else I should do.  Suggestions??

Water:  6.2 pH, 22.8 C temp, ammonia, nitrates, nitrites at basically 0, TDS a tad low - 85 right now (it's the new tank, but the old tank they were in, where the first deaths occurred, had 6.5 pH, 23C, and TDS of 155)

My poor shrimpies:

065.JPG

The differences in the water parameters could be enough to stress the shrimp, and lead to deaths. By ammonia - "basically at 0", does this mean there is no detectable ammonia, or a little bit is detected. Ammonia is very toxic for shrimp.

The deaths started prior to the move.

The move itself - the shrimp were acclimated over the course of about 2-3 hours.  Also... the BB's are the ONLY ones in the new tank being affected - there are about 30 other shrimp of various types that SEEM to be ok (hopefully my saying so won't bite me in the ass if they start dying).  The deaths are very staggered - today was the first time I found 2 in under 3 days.  I would have imagined that deaths to stress would be more clustered and possibly spread more evenly across shrimp types.

Basically 0 means I have the API drops and test tubes kit and the colors were closest to the "0" reading.  There shouldn't have been any reason for much of an ammonia spike - the old tank was completely cycled and fully planted too.  The cherries in there are breeding like tiny red rabbits.  I've had 4 TTB's and CRS berried in the old tank (they're not hatched yet; they're also fairly young and I was surprised they were berried). 

That's why I was wondering if it was some sort of infection.

Fair enough. Could be an infection that the BBs are niave to, whereas the other shrimp could be immune as they have been exposed to it all along.