Baby Shrimp Growth Rate

Madmerv

I've tried to search this but keep getting distracted by other posts as there is just so much info on this site and i find it all interesting.

I posted a photo in my welcome post of a new RCS that was spotted in my tank. There were a few berried females in the original batch so that is not too surprising but i have spotted a lot more yesterday. These ones are really small, almost microscopic, and there are 2 i think that are about double the size of the original photographed one.

So can anybody tell me if Red Cherrys will double in size within a few days in the first week?

Ok just grabbed a ruller and here goes the technical stuff. New shrimp at 1mm or so. Others at 2 - 2.5mm.

Cheers 

Growth rates vary with several factors like environment and food.

However, in general (very rough), shrimplets will grow to about 10mm in 4 months.

But they will not double in size in the first week.

I believe temperature is also a very important factor in growth rate.  Warmer = faster (but cooked shrimp do not grow!).  My RCS babies seem to double in size for the first time in roughly 2 weeks at 23-24 C.  Of course, newborns tend to hide very very well, so the shrimp may be older than you think unless you were going based on something like when the mother was no longer carrying the eggs.  I've had Cherries reach maturity in about 4 months, but generally during the summer when it's warmer.  My 2-2.5 month old babies are about 6mm at the moment.

Keep in mind, I've read that warmer temps and faster growth may lead to a smaller shrimp at maturity as well as the expected shorter lifespan. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kaylenna said:

I believe temperature is also a very important factor in growth rate.

Agreed. That's what I meant when I said "environment" - Temps, water parameters, etc

5 hours ago, Kaylenna said:

I believe temperature is also a very important factor in growth rate.  Warmer = faster (but cooked shrimp do not grow!).

So true, so true however the colour is enhanced.

Thanks All

Looks like a few really small ones must have come with the original batch as well as at least 2 mommas who have hatched their eggs. I dont think i will be getting an overloaded tank though as they are in my quarantine tank and it is a bit sterile so the survival of shrimpets will most probably be low. I really didnt expect to be getting berried shrimp from the start.

I still have so much to learn..:)

Go to your nearest healthfood store and pick up a jar of Bee Pollen.

At least you will be set for food for the shrimplets.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jayc said:

Go to your nearest healthfood store and pick up a jar of Bee Pollen.

At least you will be set for food for the shrimplets.

Ok. When you say Bee Pollen are you speaking in code there or do you actually mean Pollen from Bees? If you do then i might have an unlimited supply as my father is an amateur Apiarist and has 15 hives.

How do you feed it? Just sprinkle in tank?

22 minutes ago, Madmerv said:

When you say Bee Pollen are you speaking in code there or do you actually mean Pollen from Bees?

LOL !

Yes, it sounds weird, but it's actually really, really good food for shrimp.

https://www.vitaminking.com.au/bee-pollen-granules-125g-by-natures-goodness?istCompanyId=23eaf805-3ad2-436a-bfc3-d5a79aa0183f&istItemId=aqmixlxax&istBid=tzpp&gclid=CIzli7erl84CFckaGwodkGIHyw

I mean Bee Pollen, as in the product above as an example.

You want the Granules, not capsules.

24 minutes ago, Madmerv said:

If you do then i might have an unlimited supply as my father is an amateur Apiarist and has 15 hives.

I have no idea how it is collected/ harvested. But you might be onto something there with possible free supply.

25 minutes ago, Madmerv said:

How do you feed it? Just sprinkle in tank?

Yes, you just sprinkle the granules around the tank where you think the shrimplets are hiding.

• Like 1

Have state the obvious @jayc I suppose this is the food for bee shrimp??? All jokes aside I will try this, thanks for the tip, as I have a shrimplets explosion in my CRS tank and my cherries also are constantly producing bubs.

• Like 1

Bee Pollen

Ok i hit my dad up for some and he said if i buy the pollen collector for $30 then he will install it on the hive at his house and collect it when i need it. So unlimited supply may be there in a few weeks.

Was just at the local markets and the honey supplier had it for $15 per 250g. Seemed like a good price so i have some for now. I will report back when i see how well it works.

The local park/open space has a couple of really old mullberry trees left over from when it used to be a market garden. I went down to pick a few leaves and it is just budding up with only a few tiny new leaves. I grabbed a few fresh ones and hunted through the long grass for a few dried ones.. Chucked the lot in the freezer for the night and added one of each to the tank. Shrimp swam off the bottom to latch onto the floating dried one and the fresh one is almost gone already. Looks like there will be a bunch of leaves cluttering up the freezer when they are fully in season..Lol

3 hours ago, Madmerv said:

Chucked the lot in the freezer for the night and added one of each to the tank. Shrimp swam off the bottom to latch onto the floating dried one and the fresh one is almost gone already. Looks like there will be a bunch of leaves cluttering up the freezer when they are fully in season..Lol

They only need to clutter your freezer during the winter!  The rest of the year you can collect fresh (and maybe have a small stockpile).  Or be kinda nutty and buy a mulberry tree.  I snuck mine in under cover of darkness after a late night Bunnings run (to get tin snips to chop up SS mesh for moss for the shrimp, of course...).

I have to say - your free bee pollen supply comment was a great laugh. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, zn30 said:

Have state the obvious @jayc I suppose this is the food for bee shrimp1f606.png1f60e.png1f606.png .

??

good one.

11 hours ago, Kaylenna said:

Or be kinda nutty and buy a mulberry tree.  I snuck mine in under cover of darkness after a late night Bunnings run (to get tin snips to chop up SS mesh for moss for the shrimp, of course...).

I have to say - your free bee pollen supply comment was a great laugh. 

We have already posted this elsewhere on this site however when we were at Bunnings looking at berry and current bushes we noted a white mulberry tree in the same size pot (orange in colour) so we bought one as well, just for the shrimp. Due to the size the tree can reach, 8 metres, we will be making a Bonsai out of this tree in a slightly larger pot than usual. 

• 1 month later...

Update: Just noticed this thread again and as i said i will update it well here goes.

$15 worth of bee pollen looks like it will last me about 2-3 years. I have been sprinkling about 10 pieces in 3 different tanks about 2 times a week. Most of the pollen will float for a while before getting water logged and sinking. The bits that sink straight away tend to slowly break apart until the air that seems to be trapped in every one of them has enough lift to pick up what is left and float it to the surface. The whole time while sinking and floating the granules stream off mini particles that get washed all over the tank. This can look a bit like a dirty water problem for an hour or two so i have taken to only feed it at night.

The RCS tank has a stack of shrimpets in it and by morning there is nothing left. You can see the ones that have gorged themselves by the bright yellow stomachs shinning through. The community tank has way less shrimp in it and there are a few pollen grains left in the morning. Usually with a shrimp clutching it protectively but some sit on the sub. The Tetra's have a go at it also getting a good mouthful and then spitting out a cloud then doubling back and going through the cloud like a shark in a school of sardines.

As the grains sink eventually i would say the fine particles are heavier than water so will be landing on the sub, and everything else in the tank, and providing an excellent food source for the shrimpets and adults. They clearly like it as evidenced by the yellow bellies but i'm sure a fair bit gets sucked up by the filter. As a cost effective and natural food source i would highly recommend it although it could be very high in sugars and therefor more of a treat than staple food. I dont really know the nutritional value but i have not noticed any overweight shrimp yet.