Feedback sought - proposed site layout

NoGi

Hi All,

To better accommodate our growing community and help facilitate other discussion topics, I've been looking at making some subtle changes to the site layout. I'm looking for some feedback on what I've done (on paper) so far:

Proposed Site Map.png

Anything and everything will be considered so if there are forums that should be merged or split, now is a good time to bring it up for discussion. What we don't want are forums with only small amounts of posts as that's a sign of low demand for its own dedicated section.

Expand on the Fish Keeper subforums. We need these ones ...

• Fish Health & Care,
  • Fish Food & Nutrition,
  • Fish Societies.

Can I have a Killifish subcategory please?

• Like 1

Does it make sense combining the following and just use the tags?

For Sale & General Auctions
Wanted to Buy
Free or Trade/Swap

Just like in Non Aquarium Related Buy & Sell

Edited by neo-2FX

28 minutes ago, jayc said:

Expand on the Fish Keeper subforums. We need these ones ...

• Fish Health & Care,
  • Fish Food & Nutrition,
  • Fish Societies.

Can I have a Killifish subcategory please?

Can do, what's the scientific name for it?

7 minutes ago, neo-2FX said:

Does it make sense combining the following and just use the tags?

If no one else has an issue we can.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NoGi said:

what's the scientific name for it?

There are some 1270 species of killifish, of which they are divided into families Aplocheilidae,Cyprinodontidae, Fundulidae, Nothobranchiidae, Profundulidae, Rivulidae and Valenciidae. 

Too many to name.

I think just keeping it simple and calling the vast number of species as a collective term "Killifish" is sufficient.

20 minutes ago, NoGi said:

If no one else has an issue we can.

No issue with combining those.

"Buy, Sell, Swap & Free"

I would put the shrimp tank set-up, journals ect. in the shrimp section.

To do that, We may need to go through the threads and sort them into their relevant sections (e.g. Planted tanks vs. shrimp tanks). 

7 hours ago, jayc said:

No issue with combining those.

"Buy, Sell, Swap & Free"

Actually I just realized that subscribers can list in sell but non-subscribers can't. Whereas everyone can list in wanted. It wouldn't work if we merged it all unless we made it open for all or only for subscribers. Can open it up and we can look at other ways in which members can be encouraged to subscribe and support the site.

• Like 1

Just made some changes.

Where did we land on the classifieds? Do we open it up fully and merge or leave as is?

1 hour ago, NoGi said:

Where did we land on the classifieds?

Leave it as is.

We had a reason for it initially being the way it is.

1 hour ago, NoGi said:

Just made some changes.

Where did we land on the classifieds? Do we open it up fully and merge or leave as is?

There might be something wrong there - it's stretching all the way out to the right for me on my desktop browser (Chrome). Are you seeing that too?

Edited by neo-2FX

Yeah I saw that. Not sure what's going on.

Only seems to be the front page

OK fixed. It was the description for the new killifish forum that caused it.

• Like 1

Can we get the "Shrimp Tank Set-up", "Shrimp Tank Journals" and "Water Parameters" moved into the shrimp section? They are some of the most popular categories and contain a wealth of great information, but are lost at the bottom of the forum in the plant section 

• Like 1

Was getting too crowded in there but I tweaked things around anyway to make it better. Let me know what you think.

Better. Maybe water parameters could be moved to the shrimp section as the threads in there seem to be basically water parameters for shrimp. 

• Like 1