Newbreed Zebra Tank

newbreed

So in April I decided to convert an already established 40cm cube to be repurposed for a Native Zebra tank.

The tank he been running for two months previously so a decent biofilm had grown on the tank walls.

I removed 80% of the substrate and left driftwood, cholla, needle leaf Java and some flame moss. 

I run a hang on back filter containing mini Bakki balls which has a slight ph raising capability.

Just for additional filtration I added some mini siporax media into the tank. This has become handy, as it is white, the shrimp actually stand it against it. Unlike when they blend in against the soil. 

My tanks all run on rainwater with a ph around 6.5.

TDS of the setup has been constant between 35-40. Temp around 20-21.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

view from above

image.jpg

some of the first inhabitants when added in April. Noticed the red colouration, but hd explained to me it could be more a stress colouration. This changed over time to crisp black and white. 

image.jpg

I do a waterchange of approximately 15l a week. Usually all in one go, and without adjusting temperature. This seems to inspire activity. 

Main reason for this thread, is after chatting to Ben on weekend, I thought I needed to catalogue my results, even as limited as they have been.

I was fortunate to add some extra shrimp to the colony recently. These have slightly different markings arising from where they were located. 

And today for the first time since having them, I added a food that brought them altogether for the very first time. They never roam or hang together in groups of more than say two at a time. Until today.

Luckily I cleaned the glass this morning so the macro lens could work fairly efficiently. 

image.jpg

First inhabitants (today)

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Side by side. New and old. 

image.jpg

Newer additions

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

So pleased to see them congregating together today! 

The food is not yet widely available but has been specially formulated by one of our SKF members. 

Will try to update when I can. ?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by newbreed
  • Like 4

No breeding or saddles in this tank so far but when I got the original batch they were rather small. 

The latest additions are a similar size, and I may be deceiving myself, but I think I see some saddles developing. 

Only time will tell. 

• Like 1

Go dude go I am obsessed with these things. Totally determined for someone (probably not me) to tame these fragile beauties !!!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

AMAZING photos by the way!
  • Like 1

Wow! These are the Caridina 'zebra'? Are they being kept in 0GH/0KH?

1 minute ago, layfishies said:

Wow! These are the Caridina 'zebra'? Are they being kept in 0GH/0KH?

To be honest. Aside from ph and tds, I have not tested other attributes. 

14 minutes ago, revolutionhope said:

Go dude go I am obsessed with these things. Totally determined for someone (probably not me) to tame these fragile beauties !!!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

AMAZING photos by the way!

Thanks mate! When I originally got them I was told how crisp their colours would become, and I must admit I had my doubts.

But thankfully over time they have settled and are looking good. 

And this is the first time I have had them right at tank front for macros. 

Another great Shrimpy thing to add to my fun week!! 

• Like 2

Just a few videos from tonight!! ?

1 minute ago, NoGi said:

Nice one. How tolerant are they with temps?

I guess I have been lucky as I received the first lot after the hot summer. 

I will need to consider either a chiller or setup another tank indoors for the coming summer. It's only a relatively small tank so may be easily affected by warmer temps. 

Also noticed a fair bit of dancing about when I went to take these videos. 

Please let it be the beginnings of berries!!! 

• Like 1

Zebras don't need 0GH and KH @layfishies, but they certainly seem to prefer soft water. They seem to become less active and happy when the TDS reaches about 40ppm, so very very low. Occasionally they seem to do fine at higher levels but I don't recommend that. @NoGi, they are certainly happier at 20 than 25 degrees C, but certainly aren't dying off at 25. 

What this species won't tolerate is a build up of dissolved organics, which is why people always lose them when their maintenance regime slips a bit, as it can do. 

Another issue is that much like the Sula species, they are very keen on grazing biofilm and not so interested in prepared foods - at least they take some acclimating to it. That's why @newbreed's refernce to the food they're eating is significant. 

• Like 3

@newbreed, that is amazing! ???  the colours on some of those little guys are already beautiful- please be the first to domesticate them and make them easier to keep?. Damn, I told myself no more tanks...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KeenShrimp said:

@newbreed, that is amazing! 1f44d-1f3fb.png1f600.png  the colours on some of those little guys are already beautiful- please be the first to domesticate them and make them easier to keep1f603.png. Damn, I told myself no more tanks...

Lani, I am usually lucky with shrimp but won't hold my breathe on domesticating them. If our other members haven't cracked the code yet, I personally don't hold out a lot of hope! But fingers crossed.

I will just keep up the water changes and avoid any major imbalances and see what the Zebras decide to do. 

Always an excuse for one more tank,  what are we all like?? ?

Edited by newbreed
  • Like 1

congrats mate good too see they are still doing well

• Like 1

These seem to be one of the most difficult natives to satisfy, well done on your efforts to date.

On 19 July 2016 at 2:26 AM, kizshrimp said:

Another issue is that much like the Sula species, they are very keen on grazing biofilm and not so interested in prepared foods - at least they take some acclimating to it. That's why @newbreed's refernce to the food they're eating is significant. 

So, a bit of an update!

These shrimp never congregated before for a meal prior to introducing this special food! Which they have had twice now.

I decided to try a different food today, soy hulls, which they have turned their nose up to previously many times. I placed it in same corner and after twenty minutes, they were out having a feast.

Amazing how habits can change in such a short space of time. Lol

• Like 4

I'll stick to watching your posts @newbreed as I've got a long way to even try and attempt these, thanks for the videos looking good.

• Like 1

Yes that seems to be the pattern @newbreed, once you get them to take prepared foods they're away. Powdered feed is worth trying for those that don't have access to "special foods"... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't paid these guys much attention in the last week. Was bagging up some other shrimp this morning and put in some Shrimp Crack for a nibble! 

Now they know where the food goes they were out quick smart!

image.jpg

Then I noticed a surprise to make my Monday a great day!!

image.jpg

As Ben has mentioned in his thread, it may be something to do with having a few more added to the colony, as this is the first time for berries in this tank! And she is one of my original lot. ?

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Image overload, but as you can image, I am a little stoked!!

I did also give them a water change yesterday too. Unsure if that assisted!

• Like 4

WOOHOO !!! :-)

Another top breeder having success with these special aussies yeeeh!!!

Well done Jamie. Perhaps there is something in having some new shrimp in the tank to trigger breeding. 

• Like 1

Below is what it means when we say the zebras blend in to their background!! Almost didn't see this lady shrimp this morning! 

image.jpg

But it thankfully when I looked closer....

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg

Second berried girl in the Zebra tank! Fingers crossed. Love how different her markings and colour are to the other berried girl. ???

image.jpg

Edited by newbreed
  • Like 2

Well done mate. Keep things stable and I'm sure there will be a bunch of little shrimps running around soon. 

• Like 2

So jealous..    On an unrelated note - have the snails persisted in the low TDS water?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Grubs said:

So jealous..    On an unrelated note - have the snails persisted in the low TDS water?

Really good question, I hadn't stopped to consider them and the effects a lower Tds may have. They are all still actively eating and tidying up any left overs.

The pond snails I keep have thrived in really low ph conditions and now really low Tds. Tough buggers, but I find them handy!