G'Day From CQ

Baccus

G'Day fellow shrimp keepers.

I first fell in love with shrimp in general after seeing Cherry shrimp and Crystal Reds online on overseas forums and wished I could get them in CQ. Eventually I managed to get some cherry shrimp which are now at plague proportions and failed massivley with crystal reds after a couple of attempts off keeping them in CQ summer heat without a chiller :(.

But now I am captivated by our native shrimp and Snails (never thought I would like snails after being plagued by pond snails, rams horns and MTS), and am slowly amassing an interesting collection of shrimp and a few snails.

So far I have some shrimp from Cairns - Barron River (sorry still not 100% sure exactly what type of shrimp they are), Zebra shrimp, Caridina confusa, Caridina indistincta, Chameleon shrimp, typhus, riffle and I some local most likely glass shrimp as well as a few local macrobachium. And I am still debating about adding some blackmore river shrimp to collection.

The only naitve fish I currently have are some Pacific blue eyes but I am hoping to get some fresh water gobies soon.

Apart from currently 8 tanks of varying sizes from 4 ft down to 20L (soon to set up another 2ft thats at the moment sitting idle), an old bath tub housing my macrobachium and some guppies and a 1000L pond (horse trough) with gold fish I also have birds and keep quite a few finches, king quail, cockatiels, rosa bourkes and a couple of doves. I also have 2 cats and two dogs and when I have the time I am a wildlife carer.

Oh and I am a frog lover with a healthy population of wild forgs that live in the yard, everything from dwarf tree frogs, to common green, 3 types of burrower and another one that looks like Peroni but I am having a mental block and forgot its correct name.

looking forwards to getting to chat with other Aussie shrimp keepers. :tears_of_joy:

Thanks everyone for your warm welcomes :)

Once I get a few spare minutes I will post some pics of my various tanks, shrimp and snails. I am guessing I just need a photobucket (or similar) account and then just copy a direct link to which ever post I am wanting to add the pic too?

Oh and I knew their was a shrimp I was forgetting that I have, duh how couldI pover look the wonderful helicopter like Red nosed shrimp?

Here are some pictures of my current tanks, sorry about the quality but rushed at 4:30 in the morning.

First off my 4ft mostly cory tank

P1080766.jpg

A freebie tank that I mainly use for grow out of BN fry

P1080768.jpg

My other 4ft that was mainly a tetra tank but is now filling up with endlers

P1080772.jpg

My small soriety of female fighters - there is a male there too but he started out as a girl and well its a long story but they are all brothers and sisters and all get along just fine.

P1080774.jpg

A bit of a miscilanious tank that has some of Bob's snails in it

P1080775.jpg

3ft(?) tank with mainly guppies and cherry shrimp also a couple of spare female BN's.

P1080778.jpg

The bulk of my tanks, to the left at the bottom is my blackworm and bloodworm farm and beside that a cherry shrimp breeding project

P1080779.jpg

He is going strong, I think I am up to the third lot of offspring that he has fathered now. He is also getting darker.

I am getting a bit impatient though waiting for the first young to grow up enough to really tell what colour they will turn out to be. So far a couple of them look redish brown with tiny white bands of spots on their backs. I will try to get some photos of them and the black male either tonight or tomorrow.

If the current young turn out with black colouration I am planning on taking the dark red breeder females out and any red offspring and just leaving the black/ chocolate with the sire.

I am in a bit of a quandry, a while ago I got 5 yellow cherry shrimp and now am down to one male. I dont know if I am better off putting him with a couple of pale orange/ red females or to select a couple of females from the black breeding project once they are old enough to sex.