Got new fish but is this white spot

Mitch91

Got some new fish didn't see them before I purchased as it was dark and already in a bucket but got them home and in the tank they went, under light I notice what could be white spot ? 

image.jpeg

I couldn't really tell you, Mitch. It may just be my personal experience but when white spot breaks out you almost always get it effecting the edges of the fins, but here I don't see any doing that (except what might possibly be a few flecks on the anal fin on the lower fish) which is strange. It may just be early days and not showing through yet, though. I'd probably dose the tank with some Melafix or put in some salt to be on the safe side regardless of if it is white spot or not. Hopefully it doesn't get any worse!

Edited by Cryptocorynus

13 hours ago, Cryptocorynus said:

I couldn't really tell you, Mitch. It may just be my personal experience but when white spot breaks out you almost always get it effecting the edges of the fins, but here I don't see any doing that (except what might possibly be a few flecks on the anal fin on the lower fish) which is strange. It may just be early days and not showing through yet, though. I'd probably dose the tank with some Melafix or put in some salt to be on the safe side regardless of if it is white spot or not. Hopefully it doesn't get any worse!

Hi thanks mate, I do see it on the fins and the top fin there is what looks like a white/grey string like thing hanging from it could be flesh. What pisses me off is I got these off gumtree and drove 40minutes to collect not knowing how bad they where and it was early night when I got there so couldn't see. Some sellers need to be ashamed selling fish of these standards without telling buyers they are sick. 

Anyway I'm going down later to get the required treatment for them and hopefully they pull through. 

It's difficult spotting anything in that photo.

Maybe you can crop the original photo into the problem area and circle what you think might be issue.

My preference is to heat the aquarium and use a diatom filter I very rarely use chemicals as they can do more harm to fish and plants and stuff up the parameters of your well cycled tank. Have a read of this article from the age af aquariums http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php

hope this helps, they look like silver dollars if so give them a good feed of lettuce they'll demolish it.

On 6/30/2016 at 7:23 PM, Mitch91 said:

Got some new fish didn't see them before I purchased as it was dark and already in a bucket but got them home and in the tank they went, under light I notice what could be white spot ? 

image.jpeg

Hey Mitch, sorry to hear you have this Ich problem, my advice to you is never ever buy fish in winter or on change of season  even going from winter into summer. Over the years i have learnt the lesson and will not even sell fish during this period, regardless of how clean i always keep my tanks there is always the possibility of fish developing Ich from stress related conditions, IF you follow the link given by another member below, you may save them pending how much damage has been done to their gill filaments.

Any news on how they're going now?

On 3 July 2016 at 2:43 PM, Cryptocorynus said:

Any news on how they're going now?

Hopefully they survived their ordeal!