Growing Moss Emersed Inside

Cryptocorynus

Not exactly a DIY thread, but I just thought I'd post here something I posted on Aquariumlife a while ago as I've become aware some users on one forum don't use the other and thought this was - although simple - just too good of an idea to not share here as well. I apologise to the people who have seen this twice!

In addition to bagging my mosses on perlite as some of you have already seen, I have also tried keeping them growing emerse inside in an attempt to keep them at a more stable temperature with very good results. If you have some lit tanks (low light seems to work just fine) that won't mind having their inhabitants a little shaded (bare-bottomed tanks would be perfect) then this method is targeted at you. Differently to my moss bags, the liquid in with these mosses is straight fish tank water and not BioJuice. I've laid the bottom of the containers with folded paper towel to retain moisture and also give the mosses a rough surface to adhere to and put in enough fish tank water to have the paper completely soaked, plus a little extra (not enough, though, that the water raises above the level of the paper towel) and then laid the moss on top. The below photos are after about a month of growth. So far I have had to do no maintenance whatsoever and the mosses seem content to float around in the gentle current. Lights are on for about 6 hours per day and even the mosses that get the least amount of light at the edges of the tank (it's a 4ft tank with a 3ft light) seem to be thriving just as much as the rest. 

cBiQlKdl.jpg

The mosses floating on top of the water.

aL9fqmAl.jpg

A photo from outside the tank and looking in.

NSFfIhKl.jpg

Just one of the containers.

d7pO7Grl.jpg

The inside of that container.

4wbfJqkl.jpg

One of the larger containers (regular takeaway size).

Edited by Cryptocorynus

Thanks for sharing. Does it work well outside in the warmer/sunnier parts of the year as well? Or are you recommending internal growth only with your method?

I found out the hard way that with most mosses (as they prefer cooler temperatures) that if you have them in direct sunlight outside this way - even only for an hour per day - they'll turn to brown goop. If you want to keep them outside keep them under 70% shadecloth and never allow them to get direct sunlight - I'm trying that now and it seems to be working. Obviously if you are keeping the mosses in a lot of water (deeper ponds, for instance) then getting direct sun should be okay as the temperature will stay a lot cooler and more stable. I know someone who keeps mosses in old bathtubs under thin shadecloth and they seem to be fine that way. Just so long as the water won't get too hot the mosses should be able to be kept outside without issues - most varieties would probably prefer it to a heated tank, actually.

Edited by Cryptocorynus
  • Like 1

That's a good tip @Cryptocorynus

especially for those new to the hobby.

That's why mosses are a good match for shrimp tanks, as both prefer that cooler temperature.