a death a day...

MrOrange

Hi all,
 Hopefully you can help me shed some light on wth is going on. Last week, I went to check my shrimp to find I had four deaths! As everything had been going swimmingly until then, no indication inhabitants were having any difficulties, I went to ask a few Q's at the LFS. with little/no real answer on what it could be other than to do a small water change & monitor further, I came home and did a small water change ( aprx 12L out of a 96L tank). I have had 3-4 more die,( all have been larger and no shrimlets/or small shrimp
), about one a day since. all my parameters  are fine, (PH-6.6, KH-0 Nitrate & Nitrite- at 0), w/ the exception of my GH, which seems to be off the charts now. It would be a greatly appreciated if any suggestions/advice could float my way as I don't like a life or money wasted. :(

&...How do I bring my GH down again?

Strange. What's your temperature like?

20 hours ago, MrOrange said:

w/ the exception of my GH, which seems to be off the charts now.

Could be moulting issues if GH is off the charts as you say, and this won't impact small shrimplets.

You can use Rainwater or Reverse Osmosis water to bring GH down.

Edited by jayc

Accumulated organic waste may be one of factors. I was experiencing similarly like you, mr orange unexplained death until I cut down feeding frequent n amount. 

Thanks for the prompt replies guys!

Usually all food is consumed, (either by the shrimp themselves or the the tetras in the same tank), never any leftovers that are apparent.

I had been putting some extra calcium carb. to help with molting as well, and getting whole molts frequently. With the fiasco going on, I've stopped for the moment and still seeming to get the same results.

Temps are regularly in the mid 20's atm.

I will try'n hunt down RO water as soon as possible, (tomorrow)... of course after the storm has now gone... ugh.. ::shakes head::

Edited by MrOrange

I have a rain water tank for my shrimp and some fish however before I installed the tank I used a Icon Rainwater Diverter purchased from Bunnings $16.95 which is installed between the down pipes with a little cutting of one of the d/pipes. The fitting is a standard hose screw on fitting. I run a short hose into the container with a hose fitting that can be shut off when the container is full. I used my green waste bin 210 litres which is enough to fix any problems with water parameters. Let the water settle before use so any dirt from the roof sinks. To get water out dip in a clear watering can 9 litres again from Bunnings, or for shrimp an old juice bottle filled by dipping into container. Overnight the bottle, to get to room temp or place in a different heated fish tank to get water to desired temp before adding to shrimp tank.

• Like 1

Thanks for the DIY tip :) Just unfortunate I have to wait an roll the roulette wheel on when the next rain/storm comes round again :p

..bugga, just missed out! lol

• Like 1

We don't get much rain in Lara the weather seems to part and go to Geelong and or Melbourne, that's why we got a rain water tank to catch what we can. The good news it is almost full 1200 litres and a 210 and 115 litre containers as well.

I only JUST missed out with this last band crossing the southeast and having a deluge on the Sunshine Coast. Most of the time, the weather seems to go around us for one reason or another, but having at least a small set-up sounds like a decent idea so I don't have this chore of hunting up RO again.

Update:

Yesterday I had a juvenile death, so I took a sample of the tank water to my LFS  & as expected, they were as baffled as I was at the parameters, so I came home & did a further water change, changing out 36L but it still appears my GH is off the charts. They don't sell RO water unfortunately. Curiosity... would it work if I just got deminerlised water sold at woolies? (just saw it yest. as I was in the cleaning isle).