The Tank of Inkevnito

inkevnito

Hi all and welcome to the journey of my shrimp tank.

Decided i would start up another shrimp tank so i purchased a 70L rimless. ? 

Setup Details:

Tank: 70 Litre. 61x30.5x38. (2 foot)

Filtration: 1 Sponge Filter and 1 HOB (Marina S20)

Lighting: eBay Light

Substrate: CAL AQUA LABS - Fine

Hardscape: Gold Vine Driftwood, Cholla Wood

Plants: Needle Leaf Java Fern, Java Moss, Blyxa Japonica

Also added: Mineral Balls, IAL, Alder cones.

Hope thats all for setups?

Initially was not going to scape the tank in any particular way but i have quite some bit of driftwood laying around so why not!

Will be housing CRS. and keeping it low tech if possible with blyxa.

So i got a new shelf. those two empty cubes will have a bonsai and a terrarium for display. 
Does anyone sell ADA stickers so i can stick it onto my tank? ?

13441577_894482524013778_595740166_o.jpg

Added some mineral powders and bacteria.

13461084_894482640680433_1197720952_o.jpg

Set up hardscape. (no rocks as i am keeping it simple)
I left a large open space on the left only because itll be easier to see shrimp and not take up too much with the scaping. So i kept it to a minimum. 

13446388_894482717347092_1639363653_o.jpg

And then comes the plants.
Needle Leaf Java Fern
Blyxa Japonixa
Java Moss.

Also added gravel because i have them in my other tanks and i love the look. Once everything is set, i will make the gravel look less organised..

13442079_894482734013757_709323865_o.jpg

AANNNNDDD now the wait for the cycle to finish... ?

Added bio balls from old tank into HOB.
Using sponge filter i have prepped for three weeks.
Added some old filter floss also into the HOB along with fresh floss.

Slowly removing air bubbles from subsrate also.

Will upload tank photo once everything is setlled. Maybe later today.

Edited by inkevnito
  • Like 1

Cycling with tap water. Will test wp soon after a rest. HAHA

Removing these air bubbles from the substrate really is a long task.. still havent gotten majority of it out yet.. im finding that the fine grains trap more bubbles than your average grains.. hmm

Anyways, here is my planted shrimp tank. Not aiming for any award winning aquascape hahaha

SAM_5417.jpg

• Like 4

Looking good man.

6 hours ago, Disciple said:

Looking good man.

Thanks @Disciple.

A question for anyone!

My shrimp tank, I usually remove snails. But in other breeders tanks, there are tonnes. Is there any reason why snail shells are left behind? Do they provide calcium? 

Cheers!

Hey nice tank I really like it, I think it looks great and will grow in very nicely.

Shep

Thanks @Shep and @Mitch91.

Appreciate it!

Just going to let it grow out now :) 

Edit: forgot to mention, I also added spirulina flakes to boost the cycle.

Also made an acrylic barrier thingo to stop water splashing out from sponge filter.

1mm acrylic is a pain to work with. LOL

13453152_895663017229062_967257267_o.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

New plans for the tank, going to divide it into 2. Keeping CRS on one side and BB on the other side. 

Divider is nothing fancy, just acrylic with a cut out section, covered with fibre glass, pvc coated flyscreen to keep the water parameters the same. Shrimplets MAY cross the divider but shouldnt be harmful until theyre old enough to catch.

Updates will be coming when ready. :)

The divider is in :)

Fits tightly and i only siliconed the top half to secure it from being bumped around by me.

Waiting for it to cure.

14536578_971451412983555_317419714_o.jpg

• Like 2

Hi all,

I notice some people move berried shrimps into seperate tanks or breeding boxes,

When moving shrimps in net and out of water, they jump quite a lot.. could this cause them to lose eggs?

Reason i am asking is, i recently moved a few berried shrimps and as they were out of water (still in net and only moved over the divider) they jumped a lot in the net, and i checked today and found three that were previously berried, missing quite a bit of eggs. First time moving berried shrimps so this is my first experience.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by inkevnito

I've moved my berried shrimps plenty - not very far usually - just from the main tank to the breeding box nursery.  I usually do it a week or more before the babies are due.  So far, they've been fine with that.

Were your berried shrimps that lost eggs close to due date?  Or did they just lose some of the edge ones because they were new mommas and not so good about keeping eggs?

All three are new mothers, most eggs are lost. Only about 3-6 eggs left in them. 
They would be about 12-15 days in.. :(

If they're first time mothers I find it's pretty common for them to drop some or all of their first batch. Are they first timers?

46 minutes ago, neo-2FX said:

If they're first time mothers I find it's pretty common for them to drop some or all of their first batch. Are they first timers?

Yeah, they are first timers. Must be the reason why? I have 4 other berried that are still fully stuffed with eggs. two of which i know are experienced. 

Can you find the eggs?  If you're desperate, you can try to find them and hatch them yourself.  One of my girls seems bent on molting early and dropping about half her eggs with 1-3 days to go.  But since she just molts and leaves the eggs behind on her old shell, it's easy to fetch the whole thing out and try to hatch them.  The last time she did this (about a week ago), she left behind 16 dark eggs - at least some of which have turned out to be Bluebolts.

Or you can just wait for them to try again.

• Like 1

yeah, have tried looking for them but cant see them. I have a tumbler ready at hand if that happens anyways.