Low PH advice

Bill88

Howdy Shrimpers!

I've got some questions that I'm stumped with!

So I've set up this nano IQ5 aquarium for about 5 weeks ago and around week 3 I noticed the PH was at 6 when I tested it.

I've attached a photo of the tank (hopefully! First time uploading) in case anyone has an idea to what is dropping my PH

My PH test kit only shows up to 6 ph at the lowest so it may be even lower. 

1) Any idea what is dropping my PH from the photos? I have a feeling its the substrate or the stone inside but don't know what their names are...

To top it off, as I have been doing my routine tests, it looks as if the tank isn't cycled yet even though the 2nd tank I set up at the same time IS fully cycled. The 2nd tank has just some gravel and drift wood inside though. 

The results I got for the nano tank yesterday when I tested the water parameters were:

PH 6

Ammonia 1

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 0

Gh 3

KH 2

TDS 128ppm

20160610_230305_zpsn1jsee01.jpg

I tested my tap water to figure out if there was something wrong with and my results were:

PH 6.8

Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate 0

GH 2

KH 1

TDS 57ppm

2) Is it even possible to have TDS of 57ppm out of the tap?

My TDS meter is a new HM Digital AP-1 with a 342 ppm calibrating solution.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me. I'm stumped :/

It could be the large piece of driftwood. Did you soak it or boil it before adding it to the tank?

You could try slowly raising the KH to 4ish. It will bring and keep the pH up.

And yes, TDS of 57 is possible. Mine is... 98 ppm right now and I'm on a well, so it's generally harder.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Bill88 said:

2) Is it even possible to have TDS of 57ppm out of the tap?

Especially possible if you are in Melbourne. And with all the rain lately.

If your tank isn't cycled properly, pH will continue to drop as part of the natural cycling process. 

When was your last water change?

I see you have fish in there already. So you can't do a massive water change. Try a 20% water change at least once a week with your tap water and dechlorinator. 

• Like 1

Thanks jayc that's an exciting thought!

I've been doing 1 x 50% water change once a week but the first 2 or 3 weeks was twice a week water change.

I've also used pre cycled filter media in the tank from day 1 hoping to speed up the cycling but I think it's crashed or re started... Week 2-3 results were looking as if it skipped a stage and was cycling fast. I'll go to the aquarium where I purchased the substrate from today and ask them the question I think. I also use prime as a declorinator if that helps

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Mr. F said:

It could be the large piece of driftwood. Did you soak it or boil it before adding it to the tank?

You could try slowly raising the KH to 4ish. It will bring and keep the pH up.

And yes, TDS of 57 is possible. Mine is... 98 ppm right now and I'm on a well, so it's generally harder.

Cheers Mr F - I did boil the driftwood before placing it in the tank twice over hoping that would help and reduce the tannins so I don't have a brown tank!

Also the fish seem to be doing ok... I expected and did have a couple deaths in week 1 or so and they have been steady for the last 3 or 4 weeks... 

Now I've got the idea of moving the cardinals out of the tank, replacing the gravel, placing them in the established tank and doing a fish less cycle / restart on the nano tank... hmmm

• Like 1

So the guy at the fish store suggested it's the driftwood breaking down that's lowering the ph but I believe it's also because the tank isn't cycled yet (for some reason?).

So I've removed the cardinal tetras and replaced the substrate with a dymax brand planting substrate. I'm going to cycle the tank before adding anything in it again. No cloudiness at all in the water from the new substrate which I didn't expect. Let's see how well the plants grow in it!

In other news, I've noticed saddles on most of my cherries which is exciting! I just don't know if I have any males :P

I'll do another water test in about a week and keep you posted!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

My ph was 6.4 I then added a nice peice of driftwood and within 3 days my ph is at 6 or could even be lower as my test only goes to 6. My CRS seem to be doing fine though 

1 hour ago, Mitch91 said:

my test only goes to 6

Get a pH pen.

A cheap pH pen is still better than test kits.

• Like 1

I'm thinking about getting one jayc! Any recommendations?

Update: tank is still cycling which like mentioned would explain the low ph. I did a small water change yesterday and threw in a little more food to keep the Amonia up and now have to play the waiting game!

Has anyone heard of the iq5 before? It's the nano tank I'm cycling at the moment and purchased from coburg aquarium (I'm not sure if I can mention it and will remove the name if required).

It has some slots to overflow into the back compartment which holds a small filter.

I'm a little worried to add shrimp in it because of the possibility of shrimplets being sucked into the filter compartment even though it's only a small pump.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to block it up so that doesn't happen?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk