adding nitrate to shrimp tanks

revolutionhope

Hey SKF,

I've recently started adding 2ppm of nitrates to my weekly/fortnightly waterchanges as my tank constantly had zero nitrates and my plants were looking hungry. The product I use is cal aqua labs green.

I'd like to know what people's experiences or opinions are on whether small amounts of fertiliser can be added to shrimp tanks WITHOUT dripping it in slowly (as in a typical waterchange which is what I'm currently doing)

In other words; if I directly dose the 1 or 2 ppm worth of nitrates to my aquarium without slowly dripping it into the tank would it have any negative impact on the health and/or breeding of crystal or tiger shrimps?

love n peace

will

So .. I'm wondering does everyone just add their fertilisers directly and have no issues? Or is it necessary to slowly drip them in?

love n peace

will

I have never really used them too scared lol :P

Lol good to know someone relates to me :-)

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

I use easy life ferts and easy life carbo and just add directly to the tank never had an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
I assume it will have a negative impact. 0 nitrate ppm is recommended for shrimplets, and you will most likely have a lower baby survival rate.

I've been dosing the occasional squirt of cal aqua labs green (kno3 I think is the main constituent?). Nitrates in my heavily planted tanks always read at zero or slightly above. Whenever I add a dose the plants immediately burst into life and show new growth over the following day or 2 then slow right down once again after the nitrates have been used up.

Here is a pic of my favourite "display tank" which I consider to be fairly heavily planted.17edae871c9d9577033a1e81a650ceaa.jpg