jc12

3D Moss Ledge

jc12

I recently acquired a couple of 3D moss ledges from @newbreed Aquatics (https://newbreedaquatics.com.au/planted-tanks/aquascaping-tools) with the thought of trialing them and organising my moss collection neatly.

When I received them, I was impressed with the quality of the mesh and didn't want to use them for the 'common' moss like java, peacock, flame, etc. so I kept them aside and told myself to look for a 'worthy' moss for it when I get a chance.

Fast forward to this week, I was fortunate enough to be offered some rare cameroon moss from a generous SKF member. That's right... you can see where this is leading to.

The mesh is made of a thick plastic material and feels really sturdy, unlike typical stainless steel mesh which is flimsy and bends easily. This makes holding and working with it easy and comfortable, especially with my big clumsy fingers.

IMG_6225_1.jpg

The mesh can be detached from the suction cup by twisting it 90 degrees and pulling it out. This means the suction cup could be left on the glass if you want to only remove the mesh for trimming/propagating the moss. Perhaps this would prolong the lifespan of the suction cup. Only time will tell.

IMG_6226_1.jpg

The edge of the mesh has notches which makes tying the mesh extremely easy and neat. I really like it.

IMG_6228_1.jpg

I generally do not trust suction cups... e.g. heater suction cups, metacube suction cups, etc. and this is no exception. While the suction cup is of a typical size (wish it is larger), it is soft, supple and feels quality, unlike some hard rubbery suction cups that come with cheap heaters. The suction cup stuck on to the glass without any issue, and time will tell if it will hold up well. I am reserving my verdict for the suction cup at this stage.

IMG_6231_1.jpg

Overall, I am quite pleased with this moss ledge, especially how easy it is to hold, work with it, and tie it guided by those notches. Aesthetically, I would have preferred a white or transparent suction cup. 

A suggestion perhaps is to sell replacement suction cups separately should they are required to be replaced, especially since the suction cup is designed to fit the rectangular groove of the mesh.

A well thought out product, quality made and well priced.

• Like 5

KeenShrimp

Hi @jc12,

This is the ElevateShrimp 2.0 model. They look awesome, and so does your moss. I am surprised that they changed the suction cups on this model. The first model does not have the notches on the side, but it has awesome suction cups that are oversized and incredibly strong. Looking forward to see how they work for you???

• Like 2

newbreed

Great write up @jc12

I look forward to your feedback regarding the suction caps, I will enquire with supplier for spares, a great idea.

Instead of a white suction cap, I have on order a black version. I think aesthetically they should work for many peoples tanks.

image.jpg

@KeenShrimp These are from a different supplier to Elevate shrimp, but yes a very similar piece with different refinements.

Other items on their way include a 10x5 double ledge (black and white) and vertical moss wall 10x5cm (black and white). The picture below is of the oval version, I have opted for a rectangular unit instead.

Hopefully on hand in a couple of weeks time. ?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks again jc! Look forward to seeing that Cameroon moss growing lush!!!

Edited by newbreed
  • Like 2

OzShrimp

Great write up! I definitely think that the black looks better. I like the look of how the actual mesh part connects to the suction cap so its not just gonna fall off. 

Great to see simple things progress for the better

• Like 1

jc12

The black one looks really good especially since most of my tanks have a black background!

I am very very keen on the vertical moss wall. I imagine weeping moss on it would look really nice! Can't wait!

@newbreed, please let us know when these gets here. Thank you. ☺️

• Like 2

newbreed
1 minute ago, jc12 said:

The black one looks really good especially since most of my tanks have a black background!

I am very very keen on the vertical moss wall. I imagine weeping moss on it would look really nice! Can't wait!

@newbreed, please let us know when these gets here. Thank you. ☺️

You know I will sing out when they arrive in! ?

• Like 2

OzShrimp
21 minutes ago, newbreed said:

You know I will sing out when they arrive in! 1f60a.png

Are you getting the black moss wall ones ?

newbreed
58 minutes ago, OzShrimp said:

Are you getting the black moss wall ones ?

Yes. Black will be available in all styles. 

Only limited numbers to test the waters, but have a feeling black may be popular! 

Ronskitz

Im with you jc my initial thought was weeping on the verticals would look awesome. Keep us posted for when these arrive

• Like 1

OzShrimp

Sweet I like them but cant get any right now lol :) thanks for thinking of me though 

jc12

Just an update. Cameroon moss is growing well and I have started a series of other moss on new ledges. Love these ledges.

01cd0e2efa5c4e42286611c5d635c5f3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zn30

Looking good @jc12 thanks for the update.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Zebra
      By Zebra
      Hello,
      Ive noticed I had some equipment laying around that needed to be put to better use, and after settling in my half a dozen or so new shrimp colonies and other tanks, I figure I'll get to scaling it. 
      Ive cleaned up an old 50cm Long tank and cut a glass brace for this light to sit on, Was a standard 3ft tropical PL compact flouro light, one ballast stopped working ages back so I cut it out and halved the unit,  and the other has powered along for over a year now with a new globe.
      I've Got that light 36w, my 1L Ista co2 bottle just behind it, Aquaone 650 canister filter- which I'm putting a glass skimmer on, a standard glass heater, and drop checker.- That's about it for equipment, I'm contemplating adding a sotching oxydator I bought from newbreed aquatics closing down sale.
      Looking for some nice lava rock as I want to keep the kh quite low in this one, most of my other tanks have had seiryu or something else reactive, and I find plants like anubias and buce grip much better into light pourous stone like lava rock. 
      I've got a fresh bag of Black earth to go in there when I do find the lava rock, till then.

• Kaylenna
      By Kaylenna
      I noticed recently that some of my java moss seems to have very bright red spiky things growing from some main stems.  Most of it is near the top of the tank (and therefore, the light).  Is it an algae of some sort?  Should I leave it be or pluck it all out?

• Cryptocorynus
      By Cryptocorynus
      I've recently got into mosses after receiving small portions of about 14 varieties from a friend as a bonus from a purchase. When they arrived I wasn't exactly sure what to do with them as before this I had only ever grown the basics (eg. Java Moss, Peacock Moss, Flame Moss, etc.) and all of a sudden I have rare mosses like F. splachnobryoides and F. zippelianus just sitting in clip-seal bags on my dining room table. Suffice to say I had a little problem as my tanks were full to the brim with other stuff, and as a stickler for quarantine I wasn't going to have them sharing the same tank. A lot of the mosses also needed high light, low temperatures and CO2. So I began thinking... and thinking... and thinking. And eventually I came up with an ingenious idea to give them high light, easy access to CO2, low temperatures and all the other things they needed, all while keeping them separate from one-another. 
      I decided on growing them emerse (as I have had luck with Echinodorus and Cryptocorynes that way in the past). However, I wasn't too keen on using the soil mixes I had used before as they always absorbed too much water and ended up covering the medium in algae, so knowing this I decided on perlite instead and I would be mindful to keep the liquid level a lot lower than the top of the perlite to avoid algae potentially covering the mosses. Be mindful your perlite cannot fall out of the pot, however, as the pot I used had large holes on the bottom of it (I used filter wool to plug them). For extra growing help I decided to switch out water (which I had used when growing plants emerse in the past) for BioJuice (a seaweed mix for hydroponic use which promotes vegetative growth, not flowering or root growth like most) to use as the liquid, and for each pot which a moss to be contained inside a bag for humidity which I then put onto my verandah in a place where it would not be too hot, but would also get a decent amount of sunlight with the moss laid out on top of the perlite.
      This'll be a work in progress. It's not too clear now but I'll work on that later today and into the future. Better photos will come, don't worry!

The location of the bags on my verandah.

A close view of the set-up (excuse the fog).

This one is already growing after about a week.

View full article
    • Cryptocorynus
      By Cryptocorynus
      I've recently got into mosses after receiving small portions of about 14 varieties from a friend as a bonus from a purchase. When they arrived I wasn't exactly sure what to do with them as before this I had only ever grown the basics (eg. Java Moss, Peacock Moss, Flame Moss, etc.) and all of a sudden I have rare mosses like F. splachnobryoides and F. zippelianus just sitting in clip-seal bags on my dining room table. Suffice to say I had a little problem as my tanks were full to the brim with other stuff, and as a stickler for quarantine I wasn't going to have them sharing the same tank. A lot of the mosses also needed high light, low temperatures and CO2. So I began thinking... and thinking... and thinking. And eventually I came up with an ingenious idea to give them high light, easy access to CO2, low temperatures and all the other things they needed, all while keeping them separate from one-another. 
      I decided on growing them emerse (as I have had luck with Echinodorus and Cryptocorynes that way in the past). However, I wasn't too keen on using the soil mixes I had used before as they always absorbed too much water and ended up covering the medium in algae, so knowing this I decided on perlite instead and I would be mindful to keep the liquid level a lot lower than the top of the perlite to avoid algae potentially covering the mosses. Be mindful your perlite cannot fall out of the pot, however, as the pot I used had large holes on the bottom of it (I used filter wool to plug them). For extra growing help I decided to switch out water (which I had used when growing plants emerse in the past) for BioJuice (a seaweed mix for hydroponic use which promotes vegetative growth, not flowering or root growth like most) to use as the liquid, and for each pot which a moss to be contained inside a bag for humidity which I then put onto my verandah in a place where it would not be too hot, but would also get a decent amount of sunlight with the moss laid out on top of the perlite.
      This'll be a work in progress. It's not too clear now but I'll work on that later today and into the future. Better photos will come, don't worry!

The location of the bags on my verandah.

A close view of the set-up (excuse the fog).

This one is already growing after about a week.

• newbreed
      By newbreed
      Our manufacturer of Mesh Moss Ledges has recently discontinued the line, so in place we are pleased to announce the arrival of their new 3D Printed Moss Ledge Range.
      Made from aquarium safe resins, your shrimp will love these as much as the originals.
      Same dimensions at 5cm x 5cm Square or 5cm diameter Round.
      They retail at $4 each. 
      Introductory offer for the next week is buy 7 get one free.
      Or....
      8 for $28.

They have been designed for easy removal for trimming and maintenance, just twist plate and it detaches from suction cap.

Express Post is $7.50
      http://newbreedaquatics.com.au/planted-tanks/aquascaping-tools
      Dont forget your Skf coupon code to receive a further 10% discount. ?

I know what I will be doing this week, as I have sooo much flame moss!! Enjoy!!

View full article

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

Join Our Community!

• kms
      Here are the photo's of the tank and my equipment, and shrimps.   My bee, somehow the eggs are gone and a few shrimplets are swimming, but they are not red and white.   Top of my tank, I have cleared away more of the floating plants, they will grow back in a few days.   Two of the three Blue Bolts.   Full view of the tank, but not a pretty site.   My Fluval Bluetooth LED light with dust to dawn function   My UV light at the back of the tank, with water flow from the cooler and back to the tank   My cheap USD40 30L water cooler, enough for a 16L Nano tank like mine, need a larger one if the tank is bigger.   My intense Co2 system.  
    • kms
      I will post photos tmr of my current setup, is not a pretty sight, just moves house, and as said, I recently gave 99% of my shrimps away, but it's ok, just looks something like a exotic jungle.😜
    • sdlTBfanUK
      I think we are more of a 'must have a heater' country than 'must have a chiller'. Last year we had a few risky days where it got to 30 outside, but the tank water didn't get above 26 or 27, so it was close to where I thought I might see some dead bodies. It sounds as though you have gone all out with your setup and I have always thought the madagascar lace plant is very attractive, and maybe you need Co2 with that sort of exotic plant setup, but generally I think shrimp are supposed to do better without it, but if it is all working stick with it. I would love to see some photos, as I am sure others would as well. Simon
    • jayc
      No rush with the chiller,  as we are going into winter.  So shop around for the best price.  With such a small tank,  get the smallest cheapest chiller you can find in the brands range. Hailea chillers are probably the best compromise between price and quality. So you can start looking there. I think the HC100a is the smallest in this range. The cheap eBay phase change chillers will work on your small tank but quality will reflect with the price. Teco chillers are in the high range and will be a bit more expensive but they are good quality.  I have a couple myself. And they have been running every summer for many years now. 
    • kms
      The chiller is only useful if you live in a country that is hot, I think places like the UK should be alright without it. About the Co2, i'm not sure if it will affect neo's or the cardina, but my tank seems ok, I set the Co2 at its lowest because of a small tank, at least the plants are doing well, especially the floating one's  mini water lettuce, duckweed, RRF and frogbits which is beneficial to shrimps, I also have Fissidens fontanus, and madagascar lace plants. Forgot to mention, I also have a UV light.   If you want to see some photo, just let me know.