Sign in to follow this  
NoGi

Nogi's Amarinus lacustris

NoGi

large.57456a8ae1b4b_AmarinuslacustrisIMG_9159.jpglarge.57456a7f3335f_AmarinuslacustrisIMG_9147.jpglarge.57456a76633d2_AmarinuslacustrisIMG_9145.jpglarge.57456a6db0ab4_AmarinuslacustrisIMG_9139.jpglarge.57456a60be6b1_AmarinuslacustrisIMG_9125.jpg

• Like 3

waffle

Gorgeous macro shots. You've got eeeevery detail clear. Looks like you got very similar colours to me crab-wise!! How're they going in your tank?

NoGi

They are chasing my shrimp around lol

• Like 4

waffle

hahaha love it!

KeenShrimp

Lol, that is really entertaining! Based on the extremely clumsy movement in the video, and the fact that they do the typical crab side-shuffle, I doubt that they would be able to hunt as effectively as crayfish species. Looks like your Tangs and Bloody Mary's are safe @NoGi ?

• Like 1

waffle

Haha yep crayfish are like killing machines compared with these guys. These ones can't even kills large snails. I saw them fail. Biggest snail they ate was about 1cm. 

• Like 2

OzShrimp

some t op quality photos, would nearly mistake them for spiders if u didnt see the claws

• Like 2

Disciple
1 hour ago, waffle said:

Haha yep crayfish are like killing machines compared with these guys. These ones can't even kills large snails. I saw them fail. Biggest snail they ate was about 1cm. 

I am liking these guys more and more.

Need a video of them STAT!

• Like 1

NoGi

Hmmmmm ok I may have my first casualty, my large spiny marsh seems to have attracted one persistent little bugger. I'm hoping it's just dug in to protect itself.

waffle
12 minutes ago, Disciple said:

I am liking these guys more and more.

Need a video of them STAT!

I have a very shaky video of a small male finishing its meal of a ~1cm pond snail. Don't watch if you're prone to motion sickness - it was taken with 100mm macro lens and nothing to rest it on haha

• Like 2

waffle
23 minutes ago, NoGi said:

Hmmmmm ok I may have my first casualty, my large spiny marsh seems to have attracted one persistent little bugger. I'm hoping it's just dug in to protect itself.

Eeeeek spiney marsh are too awesome to lose!! I hope it's fine!

KeenShrimp

Wow, if these little guys are shrimp safe, it might just solve the 'how to get rid of snails safely' issue that shrimpers have...fingers crossed ?

NoGi

• Like 2

pineapples1

Following.

If these are shrimp/fish safe and available in Australia I'm interested.

Anyone know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

NoGi

Seem to be shrimp safe so far.

• Like 2

waffle
On 25/05/2016 at 9:38 PM, NoGi said:

Did the marshie survive? Any other signs of them attacking snails that size?

NoGi

Yeah looks like it

Serra

Would you need a sealed top for these guys?

• Like 1

waffle
53 minutes ago, Serra said:

Would you need a sealed top for these guys?

I was concerned they might escape but my tops are definitely not completely sealed and they have not tried to escape so far.

I would just be careful that they do not startle your shrimp and cause them to accidentally flip out of the water over the side. The shrimp take a little while to get used to the crabs. Mine ride them and chew on them now but they would freak out a bit the first couple of days when a crab came near.

• Like 2

Serra
44 minutes ago, waffle said:

I was concerned they might escape but my tops are definitely not completely sealed and they have not tried to escape so far.

I would just be careful that they do not startle your shrimp and cause them to accidentally flip out of the water over the side. The shrimp take a little while to get used to the crabs. Mine ride them and chew on them now but they would freak out a bit the first couple of days when a crab came near.

Thanks @waffle

I'm really interested in them but have Cade shallow tank (no top).

I'm not sure if that would be inviting trouble!

NoGi

Mine stay on the bottom so for me at the moment not an issue. That said, I do always check the garage floor before driving in now lol

• Like 2